AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How the "Warner Bashers" Really Feel

I've seen the terms "Warner Bashers" and "Warner Haters" thrown around quite a bit on these boards. The truth is, though, I have never come accross a Ram fan who seeks to "bash" Warner or who "hates" Warner.

Rather, what most of us who have been assigned with this label do "bash" and do "hate" is the neverending, mind-boggling, bordering on psychotic, cult-hero worship, whining that some fans continue to engage in over Kurt Warner's departure.

So, to avoid any confusion in the future, here is how I feel and, I believe, how most of the "Warner Bashers" feel about the subject.

1. Kurt Warner will always have a special place in the hearts of Ram fans. His play from 1999-2001 was an integral part of the Rams' success over that span, as well as the Super Bowl win.

2. While we were disappointed to see him decline in 2002 and lose his job in 2003, we disagree with those who believe that the team made an error in transitioning to Marc Bulger. Although Kurt demonstrated this year that he still can play, at this point, we believe Marc Bulger is the right choice for the team.

3. We do not completely agree with the "Martz as villain viewpoint" with respect to Kurt Warner. While Martz did send mixed signals and seemed to contradict his own statements regarding his intentions during 2002-03, Warner also played a role in his own departure by making statements that alienated him from the team, allowing his wife to do so as well, and being less than forthcoming (or, alternatively, deluding himself) regarding his physical condition at times. It was a bad situation all around, and needed to end.

4. Some of us believe now that Martz should be replaced. That does not, however, mean that we believe that has anything whatsoever to do with Kurt Warner.

Like it or not, that is how we feel.

And one final thing which needs to be addressed:

5. Its time to move on. Kurt has been gone for a full season, and he's not coming back. He is not relevant to discussions about the current team any more than the 1,000,000,000 other "what ifs" that could be posed. As a result, we find it annoying when people try to inject his name into every conversation, regardless of the subject matter.

So, that's it. That's how we feel. If you want to call us "Warner Bashers," go ahead. Some people have no regard for the truth.

lakerams Guest

Re: How the "Warner Bashers" Really Feel

Av-

I agree with you except for one thing.

it is relevant to mention Warner when making points on why you think Martz has hurt this team. Warner will always be linked to Martz in that way, and therefore linked to the current Rams as long as Martz is around.

it is relevant to bring up this point when mentioning Martz' handling of players (which is a major weakness of his ).

other than that, I agree with your post.

If somebody wants to assert that Martz's handling of the Warner situation is one of many examples of a deficiency that warrants his dismissal, that's fine. Some, though, make it all about Warner.

sbramfan Guest

Well, you may speak for all the so called "Warner Bashers", but I will only speak for myself, and not all the "Warnerites".

I have never called anyone a Basher, or Hater. I like Marc Bulger, and to use your Martz percentage analogy, I was 75% to 25% on the Warner trade, and appreciate Marc Bulgers' talent. You are entitled to your opinion that this was the right decision.

But it is inevitable to wonder, now that Martz is in the spotlight for

A: having a losing season, or .500 at best
    and
    B: having outsiders begin to see the paranoia that has driven so many of his decisions in the past, that only most of us that read this day to day stuff have been privy too...

makes me wonder again why the hell we got rid of the best thing that ever happened to this team. Martz if freekin insane. He probably thought KW was a virus.

Yet, it has nothing to do with Marc Bulger.

And after next week, unless the Rams get lucky, "what if" is all we'll have.

Marc Bulger has a passer rating of 91.5, lead the league in passing yards until he was injured, and has played better than the current version of Kurt Warner.

Despite these undeniable facts, you (and others) continue to try to attribute the Rams' lack of success to Bulger. That's just not logical.

If you don't know the difference between coincidence and causation, I suggest you familiarize yourself with these concepts. Otherwise, you simply appear to be trying to cram the facts (which simply don't fit) into your predetermined conclusion.

sbramfan Guest

My reply had nothing to do with Marc Bulger, nor do I attribute the Rams lack of success to him. He is one of the few bright spots this year.

However, to that point, I have mentioned that to prove himself, he really needed to throw more TD's this year, and he really hasn't done that. And to those who wanted to have a "bulger is great" party, I didn't think he was spectacular, but has been efficient.

RammieGirl Guest

5. Its time to move on. Kurt has been gone for a full season, and he's not coming back.

And we know this how AV??? I have 2 words for you, "Chris Chandler", you just never ever know!!!! hehehe, sorry, couldn't resist being the Warnerite that I am!!! :tongue:

moklerman Guest

5. Its time to move on. Kurt has been gone for a full season, and he's not coming back.
    Let's not show our crystal balls, here. Never say never, and all that. Just as I would have predicted Warner would never leave the Rams, I don't think anything's out of the realm of possibility when it comes to player movement.

Unlikely? Improbable? Yeah, right? All are accurate but none are "never".

If Warner is ever a Ram again, I'll change my username to SexyBrenda.

moklerman Guest

I'm not into bashing Brenda so I'd prefer something like "AvengerWrong". You can't have your cake and eat it too.