Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 47
  1. #31
    CaliGirlRamsFan's Avatar
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    899
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    it now looks like he is going to play which is bad news.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


    Don't you just love the NFL? How many needles will the Rams have to step over on the field?


  2. #32
    BoltPride's Avatar
    BoltPride is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    In defense of Merriman, he has publicly stated that he will take full responsibility for his actions and whatever the league decides to. The illegal substance that he has taken is Nandrolone. There is a good article about it on wikipedia for those that are interested. It has some information that might suggest how this substance can be created from the body from a high protein diet.

    It's unfortunate that this had to happen, and I know that it will possibly tarnish Merriman's reputation for the rest of his career. I don't think he purposely meant to take an illegal substance, but he should have had the sense to realize the potential risk in taking ANY kind of supplement no matter how safe you think it is. Bottom line is the dude made a mistake. He is young and will learn from this incident, and he did the right thing in stating that he was responsible. In his press conference he was very apologetic and sincere, and although the leage will most likely uphold with the suspension he is just going to have to man up and deal with it like a mature adult.
    Last edited by BoltPride; -10-24-2006 at 03:29 AM.

  3. #33
    MOM's Avatar
    MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Age
    37
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by BoltPride View Post
    I don't think he purposely meant to take an illegal substance, but he should have had the sense to realize the potential risk in taking ANY kind of supplement no matter how safe you think it is.

    No offense, but how in the world do you "accidently" use drugs? Does someone hold out the needle while he screams "OOPS!" and backs into the daggum thing? Yes, he should have realized there are risks involved, you BET he should have. The ONLY supplement he should be taking is a multi-vitamin, like Centrum Men's or something. Better yet, Flintstones vitamins. He kind of reminds me of Bam Bam. Not 100% brilliant, but can hit stuff hard. Ten million strong and growing, I say.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

  4. #34
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    it now looks like he is going to play which is bad news.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Just heard on Sirius that Merrimans hearing is for Nov. 2nd, He will be playing the next 2 games.

  5. #35
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER's Avatar
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Surf City USA
    Age
    61
    Posts
    2,306
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    No offense, but how in the world do you "accidently" use drugs? Does someone hold out the needle while he screams "OOPS!" and backs into the daggum thing? Yes, he should have realized there are risks involved, you BET he should have. The ONLY supplement he should be taking is a multi-vitamin, like Centrum Men's or something. Better yet, Flintstones vitamins. He kind of reminds me of Bam Bam. Not 100% brilliant, but can hit stuff hard. Ten million strong and growing, I say.
    I'm still laughing...

    I think the "supplements" they speak of are taking orally. But whatever, I agree with you 100%. These athletes today are just killin' me. "I didn't know", is such BS. You have to be a complete idiot to believe these guys don't know what they're putting in their bodies. They just HOPE they get away with it. Unfortunately, most of the time, they do. But when they get caught, they immediately announce they "didn't know". Ignorance is no excuse. Man-up and fess up. I'm with MOM, make the switch today to Flintstones muilti-vitamins. Too funny...
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

  6. #36
    CaliGirlRamsFan's Avatar
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    899
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    I have been thinking all day as to wether I should say this.

    We have Leonard Little on the Ram's roster.

    I would rather play these guy's with their best.

    I know I will get some Smack from this post, but if you truly think about it, Little walked away and money talked.
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -10-25-2006 at 03:17 AM.

  7. #37
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    50
    Posts
    9,040
    Rep Power
    75

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    I have been thinking all day as to wether I should say this.

    We have Leonard Little on the Ram's roster.

    I would rather play these guy's with their best.

    I know I will get some Smack from this post, but if you truly think about it, Little walked away and money talked.
    This is true, but comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. What Little did most likely hurt his play. You would think he carries that with every day and not in a positive way. On the other hand Merriman's play will benefit from what he did.

    I guess the best time to jack yourself up on steroids is the championship game. That way you can benefit from it and play like a mad man in the two biggest games. Take the suspension the follow year.

  8. #38
    CaliGirlRamsFan's Avatar
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    899
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    This is true, but comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. What Little did most likely hurt his play. You would think he carries that with every day and not in a positive way. On the other hand Merriman's play will benefit from what he did.

    I guess the best time to jack yourself up on steroids is the championship game. That way you can benefit from it and play like a mad man in the two biggest games. Take the suspension the follow year.
    You are correct, and I want to apologize to the forum for bringing this us. Little does get heat on this issue, and I truly hope he does carry this wirh him.

    I think my point was that the NFL, the players, their income, can buy a lot.




    Again, I apologize for bringing this up on a thread that clearly was not about Little.
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -10-26-2006 at 12:15 PM.

  9. #39
    BoltPride's Avatar
    BoltPride is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by MOM View Post
    No offense, but how in the world do you "accidently" use drugs? Does someone hold out the needle while he screams "OOPS!" and backs into the daggum thing? Yes, he should have realized there are risks involved, you BET he should have. The ONLY supplement he should be taking is a multi-vitamin, like Centrum Men's or something. Better yet, Flintstones vitamins. He kind of reminds me of Bam Bam. Not 100% brilliant, but can hit stuff hard. Ten million strong and growing, I say.
    The illegal substance found in Merriman didn't come from a needle but from a dietary supplement taken orally.(That is what is being claimed anyway). The NFL has a list of all the banned substances posted in every teams training facility, and reports have stated that Merriman was confused when he tested positive because he knew of this list, and made sure that this supplement he was taking didn't contain any sort of banned substance. He believes that the supplement was tainted, and his lawyer-who has dealt with many similiar cases like this- said that it is a common practice in this business for drug manufacturers to purposely "taint" these supplements with illegal substances and not list them on the label since the FDA does not regulate them. The supplement in question, is supposedly going to be tested to see whether or not it contains the illegal substance, and I know that this is basically the same excuse that every athlete uses when they test positive for banned substances, but it still seems highly unlogical to me that Merriman would purposely take something illegal in attempt to become a better player. The dude is already a beastly physical specimen and a great talent, plus he has claimed how he wants to be regarded as one of the greatest linebackers in the history of the NFL...He is in the media spot-light all the time and has already established himself as a big name guy in this league in only his second year. It makes no sense as to why he would jeopordize his whole career by taking banned substances, considering that he was following the right path to becoming a great player. Plus you have to remember that he is subject to a random drug test at any time during the season as well, so that makes it even more unlikely that he would purposely do this.

    That being said though, the NFL will almost assuredly uphold the 4 game suspension after his hearing. It's a rule that all players are responsible for what types of supplements they take-due to having the risk of them being tainted(which hopefully happened in Merrimans case). What really sucks is that under the CBA this information should have never been leaked to the media, and to make matters worse a bunch of information was falsely accused about Merriman when it first broke ESPN headlines, and that stuff will make his reputation even worse off then it should have been. Assuming that the supplement he took was indeed tainted( nothing is certain yet until the facts come out..For all we know Merriman could have been juicing up his whole NFL career, and then that would really suck), hopefully it can do some damage control and retain back his public image, but for the most part this incident will definitely follow him his whole career no matter what. It's unfortunate but thats the price you gotta pay when you test positive. He did the right thing in accepting responsibility, but he will definitely have to work hard and make sure this never happens again or he is screwed. It will take him a long, long time to regain respect again in this league, and even if he plays at an all-pro level the rest of his career- he may never earn it back.

  10. #40
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by BoltPride View Post
    The illegal substance found in Merriman didn't come from a needle but from a dietary supplement taken orally.(That is what is being claimed anyway). The NFL has a list of all the banned substances posted in every teams training facility, and reports have stated that Merriman was confused when he tested positive because he knew of this list, and made sure that this supplement he was taking didn't contain any sort of banned substance. He believes that the supplement was tainted, and his lawyer-who has dealt with many similiar cases like this- said that it is a common practice in this business for drug manufacturers to purposely "taint" these supplements with illegal substances and not list them on the label since the FDA does not regulate them. The supplement in question, is supposedly going to be tested to see whether or not it contains the illegal substance, and I know that this is basically the same excuse that every athlete uses when they test positive for banned substances, but it still seems highly unlogical to me that Merriman would purposely take something illegal in attempt to become a better player. The dude is already a beastly physical specimen and a great talent, plus he has claimed how he wants to be regarded as one of the greatest linebackers in the history of the NFL...He is in the media spot-light all the time and has already established himself as a big name guy in this league in only his second year. It makes no sense as to why he would jeopordize his whole career by taking banned substances, considering that he was following the right path to becoming a great player. Plus you have to remember that he is subject to a random drug test at any time during the season as well, so that makes it even more unlikely that he would purposely do this.

    That being said though, the NFL will almost assuredly uphold the 4 game suspension after his hearing. It's a rule that all players are responsible for what types of supplements they take-due to having the risk of them being tainted(which hopefully happened in Merrimans case). What really sucks is that under the CBA this information should have never been leaked to the media, and to make matters worse a bunch of information was falsely accused about Merriman when it first broke ESPN headlines, and that stuff will make his reputation even worse off then it should have been. Assuming that the supplement he took was indeed tainted( nothing is certain yet until the facts come out..For all we know Merriman could have been juicing up his whole NFL career, and then that would really suck), hopefully it can do some damage control and retain back his public image, but for the most part this incident will definitely follow him his whole career no matter what. It's unfortunate but thats the price you gotta pay when you test positive. He did the right thing in accepting responsibility, but he will definitely have to work hard and make sure this never happens again or he is screwed. It will take him a long, long time to regain respect again in this league, and even if he plays at an all-pro level the rest of his career- he may never earn it back.
    I hate to think Merrimans been juicing. But you said it, He's already a beast.
    Leads me to question whether he's had experience with the juice in High School ? College ? I hope not.

    It's crazy but some of the professional athletes today will do what ever it takes to gain an edge. Which generally translates to more money in their pockets. No player has ever won his appeal when it comes to this subject.

  11. #41
    BoltPride's Avatar
    BoltPride is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I hate to think Merrimans been juicing. But you said it, He's already a beast.
    Leads me to question whether he's had experience with the juice in High School ? College ? I hope not.

    It's crazy but some of the professional athletes today will do what ever it takes to gain an edge. Which generally translates to more money in their pockets. No player has ever won his appeal when it comes to this subject.
    Him being such a beast does raise some questions..The dude did put on 10 plus pounds of muscle this offseason, and has like 3% body fat..He is already an insane weight room workhorse, and he put himself through an intense,ungodly workout routine this summer that included boxing and Muay Thai. But since this news broke headlines it makes you wonder if he has been juicing up for awhile now in order to become who he is today. He played college ball on the same team with that monster tight end Vernon Davis and Merriman claimed that the 2 of them were workout buddies, so it does offer some speculation as to whether or not he could have possibly been doing this back in his college days or earlier..

    He has had one of those life stories where he overcame the obstacles of living in an orphange and having to deal with poverty for most of his childhood, and now that he made it big time he was donating a bunch of money to homeless shelters and stuff because he felt it was the right thing to do now that he was in a position to be able to give back to the community. A lot of people were looking up to him-all the teammates and coaches he ever worked with praised him for being a good guy, and to throw away all that respect by taking some banned substance would suck tremendously..Who knows though..Every media person in the world was hyping him up to be the next Lawrence Taylor, so maybe he felt he needed to get an edge in order to perform at the level of play that people expected from him?

    Even though this whole situation is very unfortunate, some good can still come from it. At least we know the NFL is cracking down on the drug tests, and if Merriman has been doing this for awhile now-at least he was caught early in his career so that he doesn't feel that he can keep getting away with doing it, which would have furthered the chances of him developing some serious health problems if he kept abusing the drugs.He is going to have to really be focused and careful from what he does from now on because once you test positive, you are subject to twice as many tests as before.

  12. #42
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I'm still laughing...

    I think the "supplements" they speak of are taking orally. But whatever, I agree with you 100%. These athletes today are just killin' me. "I didn't know", is such BS. You have to be a complete idiot to believe these guys don't know what they're putting in their bodies. They just HOPE they get away with it. Unfortunately, most of the time, they do. But when they get caught, they immediately announce they "didn't know". Ignorance is no excuse. Man-up and fess up. I'm with MOM, make the switch today to Flintstones muilti-vitamins. Too funny...
    Tell ya what, I've been taking Flintsone vitamins my whole life and I don't look like that beast. I like the Dino ones the best. Can you say S-t-e-r-o-i-d-s ?

  13. #43
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,316
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by BoltPride
    He believes that the supplement was tainted, and his lawyer-who has dealt with many similiar cases like this- said that it is a common practice in this business for drug manufacturers to purposely "taint" these supplements with illegal substances and not list them on the label since the FDA does not regulate them.
    I don't know, this sounds like a reach to me. If drug manufacturers purposely taint their supplements, they're opening themselves up to all sorts of legal and ethical problems with evidence that would be almost impossible to refute. It just does not seem plausible on any level.

    It appears to me the sad fact here is that Merriman has been playing a risky shell game with banned substances and got caught.

  14. #44
    BoltPride's Avatar
    BoltPride is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I don't know, this sounds like a reach to me. If drug manufacturers purposely taint their supplements, they're opening themselves up to all sorts of legal and ethical problems with evidence that would be almost impossible to refute. It just does not seem plausible on any level.

    It appears to me the sad fact here is that Merriman has been playing a risky shell game with banned substances and got caught.
    I know it does sound like a reach but these things do happen in the world of professional sports. Take this example here, which is an excerpt from the local San Diego paper regarding the issue:

    "Take the case of swimmer Kicker Vencill. He tested positive for nandrolone in an out-of-competition test in January 2003. Suspecting it was the result of a tainted supplement, he had his multivitamin from Ultimate Nutrition tested and, sure enough, it showed evidence of containing nandrolone. Vencill sued Ultimate Nutrition and was awarded a $578,635 judgment by an Orange County jury.
    But his U.S. Anti-Doping Agency case didn't go as well. While USADA officials expressed sympathy with his plight, they also adhered to the rules of strict liability. He received a two-year competition ban and was ineligible for the 2004 Olympics."

    This is the same substance which was found in Merriman. Supplements are not subject to U.S FDA regulations.Thus they are not inspected and checked over so many can contain various unlisted substances, including illegal ingredients that could cause trouble for professional athletes. All NFL players know this and know the strict policies regarding drug tests and such, so unless something totally bizarre happened to account for the positive test, there are only 2 plausible explanations for this occurence:

    1) He knowingly took steroids and got caught, in order to get an edge in the game. OR

    2) He took a supplement that contained the steroids unknowingly.

    If option #1 ends up being true then that would mean he must have either known ways or felt confident that he could beat the drug tests and not get caught. All the risks in testing positive for a banned substance if you purposely take it, makes it seem like it would be almost impossible to not get caught-but who knows? I'm sure there are a ton of masking agents out there to hide the fact your cheating, which makes these guys feel they can get away with it, and this could very well be the case for Merriman.

    If option #2 ends up being true, that would demonstrate total ignorance on the part of Merriman. The NFLPA states that each athlete is solely responsible for whatever they put in their body-no matter what route, and that they run the risk of ingesting tainted supplements. Merriman knew this, and even though he stated how he has taken this supplement before and never yielded a positive test until now, he still only has himself to blame.If this is the case- and even if the test results show that his supplement was tainted, and if he files a lawsuit against the manufacturer, I see no way of him avoiding the 4 game suspension.

    All the facts may never come out about this, and we may never know the full truth to all the details. It has not been determined yet on how much of the steroid substance was present in his body, so for all we know the possibility of him injecting himself with a needle is still a viable option.(I highly doubt it though, considering that he would probably be even more likely to test positive than if he purposely took got the steroid from a supplement)

    After thinking about this whole situation for awhile now it makes you wonder just how many NFL players out there,are using or have used steroids intentionally/unintentionally......

  15. #45
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,184
    Rep Power
    108

    Re: HUGE NEWS: Chargers LB Shawne Merriman to be suspended for steroid use

    Quote Originally Posted by BoltPride View Post
    I know it does sound like a reach but these things do happen in the world of professional sports. Take this example here, which is an excerpt from the local San Diego paper regarding the issue:

    "Take the case of swimmer Kicker Vencill. He tested positive for nandrolone in an out-of-competition test in January 2003. Suspecting it was the result of a tainted supplement, he had his multivitamin from Ultimate Nutrition tested and, sure enough, it showed evidence of containing nandrolone. Vencill sued Ultimate Nutrition and was awarded a $578,635 judgment by an Orange County jury.
    But his U.S. Anti-Doping Agency case didn't go as well. While USADA officials expressed sympathy with his plight, they also adhered to the rules of strict liability. He received a two-year competition ban and was ineligible for the 2004 Olympics."

    This is the same substance which was found in Merriman. Supplements are not subject to U.S FDA regulations.Thus they are not inspected and checked over so many can contain various unlisted substances, including illegal ingredients that could cause trouble for professional athletes. All NFL players know this and know the strict policies regarding drug tests and such, so unless something totally bizarre happened to account for the positive test, there are only 2 plausible explanations for this occurence:

    1) He knowingly took steroids and got caught, in order to get an edge in the game. OR

    2) He took a supplement that contained the steroids unknowingly.

    If option #1 ends up being true then that would mean he must have either known ways or felt confident that he could beat the drug tests and not get caught. All the risks in testing positive for a banned substance if you purposely take it, makes it seem like it would be almost impossible to not get caught-but who knows? I'm sure there are a ton of masking agents out there to hide the fact your cheating, which makes these guys feel they can get away with it, and this could very well be the case for Merriman.

    If option #2 ends up being true, that would demonstrate total ignorance on the part of Merriman. The NFLPA states that each athlete is solely responsible for whatever they put in their body-no matter what route, and that they run the risk of ingesting tainted supplements. Merriman knew this, and even though he stated how he has taken this supplement before and never yielded a positive test until now, he still only has himself to blame.If this is the case- and even if the test results show that his supplement was tainted, and if he files a lawsuit against the manufacturer, I see no way of him avoiding the 4 game suspension.

    All the facts may never come out about this, and we may never know the full truth to all the details. It has not been determined yet on how much of the steroid substance was present in his body, so for all we know the possibility of him injecting himself with a needle is still a viable option.(I highly doubt it though, considering that he would probably be even more likely to test positive than if he purposely took got the steroid from a supplement)

    After thinking about this whole situation for awhile now it makes you wonder just how many NFL players out there,are using or have used steroids intentionally/unintentionally......
    Great piece, I remember that swimmers issue but never heard the final outcome. Good for him gettin' all that cash. Sad thing is he still has to pay a penalty of 2 years.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •