Milan is offline Registered User

The ***** Hype Machine

What is it about the ***** that everyone loves next season?

Never has a 7-9 team generated as much hype as the *****. Let's take a look at their season in depth:

Their passing Offensive Rankings were for the most part, all in the 20s, among the worst in the league. Their defense was ranked dead last in Points allowed, and in the 20s in all but two categories (They were 16th and 19th in Yards Against and YPC respectively).

Last year they only won two games by more than 7 points.
    The best record that they faced was 14-2 - The Chargers - and they lost 48-19. The second best record they faced was 13-3 - The Chicago Bears - to whom they lost 41-10.

9-7. The best team(s) the ***** beat were 9-7 teams. The Broncos and Seahawks (Twice). Now Onto The players.

Alex Smith - Completes 58% of his passes for 2890 yards. 16 TDs 16 INTs. I understand it's his second year but it was a very mediocre second year. People constantly say "Well he improved so much from his rookie year". Well of course he did, you would hope that a QB with 1 TD and 11 INTs and a rating of 40 improves.

Frank Gore - No negatives on him except his fumbling problems.

Their WRs - The 49er fans are all hyped about their new WRs. But why? None of them are great receivers, they're all merely average. This is the first time anyone has been so excited to have Ashley Lelie.

Possibly one of the worst OTs ...Kwame Harris, enough said right there. Constantly whiffs on blocks, awful OL.

Derek Smith - Possible the most hated player on the ***** roster, their own fans hate the hell out of this guy. Can get into the backfield nicely...after that he's done, he'll try to take the guy down and fail, then cling to his jersey until someone else comes.

Tully Banta Cain - Well this guy will definitely solve all your problems. A backup LB unproven as a starter, yet everyones all happy they got him as if it actually matters.

Safeties - Garbage. Michael Lewis was benched for a reason, he's awful in coverage and makes mistakes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the ***** have sold corners but Nate Clements is overrated.

Aside from their corners, they're the same team as last year besides, they're still keeping one of their corners from their mediocre season last year. Patrick Willis, who knows how he will do. I don't even see him on the depth chart.

The Rams are close to being better at almost every position on the football field yet we are overlooked while the ***** get media hype for no apparent reason.

I guarantee the best they do is .500.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Re: The ***** Hype Machine

The Rams were 4-12 in 98. they were like number 25 overall
    thats why I hate parity
    the Rams division is a huge question mark this year, we will see soon enough.

RamsNation is offline Registered User

Well Milan, I've learned not to ignore the potency of known enemies of any kind. While I dont think that the whiners will win the division, I dont think for a second that they won't improve. I like several of the young players on their team, wanted them for the Rams myself, even from this years draft. I really liked WR Jason hill, and Patrick Willis played highschool football 30 minutes from my house in Bruceton TN, and he will be a good pro. I think this upcoming year the ***** will be somewhere in the middle of greatness and the cellar, but any NFL team can beat another on any given sunday, so I won't dismiss them so quickly. But I promise that I do hate the ***** colors as much as anyone!!!

funk_doc is offline Registered User

i'm not saying that my team is the best...hype is just hype...it's what the media does best and people that fall for it are the suckers...yes i've seen those suckers on our boards...my team looks better on paper than it did last year and any team can take the division...that's why the game is played...never rule any team out no matter how bad they previously were. always expect the unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by funk_doc View Post
    i'm not saying that my team is the best...hype is just hype...it's what the media does best and people that fall for it are the suckers...yes i've seen those suckers on our boards...my team looks better on paper than it did last year and any team can take the division...that's why the game is played...never rule any team out no matter how bad they previously were. always expect the unexpected.
    when someone says any team can take the division. that means all the teams suck.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Ecellent post! I sent it to every whiners fan I know

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If I remember right (and I know I do), the only way they got 'five rings' anyway was with a lot of 'wink wink nod nod here's the bribe, er, thing'.

The whiners are a team on the way up. Then again, so is Oakland, Detroit, Houston....

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    1. What is it about the ***** that everyone loves next season?

2. Never has a 7-9 team generated as much hype as the *****. Let's take a look at their season in depth:

3. Their passing Offensive Rankings were for the most part, all in the 20s, among the worst in the league.

4. Their defense was ranked dead last in Points allowed, and in the 20s in all but two categories (They were 16th and 19th in Yards Against and YPC respectively).

5. Last year they only won two games by more than 7 points.

6. The best record that they faced was 14-2 - The Chargers - and they lost 48-19. The second best record they faced was 13-3 - The Chicago Bears - to whom they lost 41-10.

7. 9-7. The best team(s) the ***** beat were 9-7 teams. The Broncos and Seahawks (Twice).

8. Alex Smith - Completes 58% of his passes for 2890 yards. 16 TDs 16 INTs. I understand it's his second year but it was a very mediocre second year. People constantly say "Well he improved so much from his rookie year". Well of course he did, you would hope that a QB with 1 TD and 11 INTs and a rating of 40 improves.

9. Their WRs - The 49er fans are all hyped about their new WRs. But why? None of them are great receivers, they're all merely average. This is the first time anyone has been so excited to have Ashley Lelie.

10. Possibly one of the worst OTs ...Kwame Harris, enough said right there. Constantly whiffs on blocks, awful OL.

11. Derek Smith - Possible the most hated player on the ***** roster, their own fans hate the hell out of this guy.

12. Tully Banta Cain - Well this guy will definitely solve all your problems. A backup LB unproven as a starter, yet everyones all happy they got him as if it actually matters.

13. Safeties - Garbage. Michael Lewis was benched for a reason, he's awful in coverage and makes mistakes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

14. Now the ***** have sold corners

15. but Nate Clements is overrated.

16. Aside from their corners, they're the same team as last year

17. besides, they're still keeping one of their corners from their mediocre season last year.

18. Patrick Willis, who knows how he will do. I don't even see him on the depth chart.

19. The Rams are close to being better at almost every position on the football field

20. yet we are overlooked

21. while the ***** get media hype for no apparent reason.

22. I guarantee the best they do is .500.
    1. The fact that they were a "surprise" team. Many of the so-called experts expected them to finish 4-12 as the worst team in the league. Check the power rankings from either Fox or ESPN (maybe both) and they finished They were perceived as a team with little talent and were still in the playoff hunt up until week 16. Now that they've added big name talent (as the media also loves big FA signings) people are eager to see what they can do.

2. Were you asleep last year? The Cardinals, despite finishing 5-11, were everyone's sleeper team. Same with the Lions. The year before that, the Cards were coming off a 6-10 season and were a "sleeper" favorite then, as well.

3. Which has alot to do with the fact that Turner ran a run-heavy offense. Go back and look at the stats and you'll see the 9ers were 29th in pass attempts. A team that doesn't pass as much as other teams usually isn't going to put up as many yards, either.

4. Mainly because of how bad the defense was for the first 7 games. However, it turned around after the Chicago debacle. The defense gave up 30.7 PPG the first 7 games, while giving up 18.9 the remining 9 games. Check Part 1 of AvengerRam's "Around the NFC West" for my comments on the defense.

5. And your point would be...? A win is a win. Even at that, the Rams only won 3 games by more than 7 points. Is that really that much of a difference?

6. Again, I'm curious to know just what your point would be. The Rams played both of those teams and lost both, both by double digit margins. The Seahawks faced them and lost, getting blown out by the Bears.

7. Point being? The same thing can be said of the Rams, only the Rams beat just 1 team with a 9-7 record (Denver), getting swept by the team the Niners beat twice. The Seahawks beat only beat two 9-7 teams (Denver and Dallas). I don't see the point you're trying to make here.

8. Which is a combination of youth, and again, Norv's system. Smith's stats are in line with other 2nd year QBs running Turner's offense. Here's a list:

A. 226/399 56.6% 2579 6.5 YPA 11 td 18 int 66.6 rating
    B. 199/396 50.3% 2751 6.9 YPA 13 td 13 int 70.2 rating
    C. 320/526 60.8% 3284 6.2 YPA 17 td 16 int 76.9 rating
    D. 257/442 58.1% 2890 6.5 YPA 16 td 16 int 74.8 rating

Those stats are from the 2nd years of Aikman (Look at that rating! I always knew the Cowpies were evil!), Frerotte, Brees, and then Smith. I'd say he's doing okay for now.

9. Darrell Jackson is above average, Lelie is a decent deep threat, and Battle is a good possession receiver. Overall the group isn't scaring anyone, but it's better than what we've had. Of course, most Niner fans look at our WR corp as complementary. Our passing game will more than likely be going through Vernon Davis.

10. Thank goodness Kwame Harris isn't our only lineman. And like D.Smith, his likely replacement was taken in the 1st round of this year's draft. Staley's already been practicing with the first team while Kwame sits out with back spasms.

11. His popularity with the fans has no bearing on his status on the field. And he'll more than likely be replaced by Willis before the end of the season, if not before the start of the season.

12. Who said TBC was going to fix all our problems? He was signed because he's experienced in the 3-4 and he's a decent pass rusher. That's what he'll do.

13. Hardly. Roman is nothing special, but he's a decent coverage safety. M.Lewis is an in-the-box safety who isn't very good in coverage. I know it, you know it, and I'm reasonably sure the SF front office and coaching staff know it as well. In fact, Lewis is similar to another player on the roster, K.Lewis. The team played to his strengths and with Lewis and Roman back there, opposing QBs had a rating of 77. I'm sure they'll play to Michael's strengths just like they did with Keith.

14. Solid? We have the best pair of CBs in the division, and arguably one of the better trio of corners in the NFL.

15. Feel free to explain why Clements is overrated.

16. Aubrayo Franklin? Tully Banta-Cain? Sam Rayburn? I don't recall these guys being with the team last year.

17. Yeah, Shawntae Spencer is such a bum [/sarcasm]. Spencer is a bit over his head at LCB (although he still did a decent job), but he had a good year previously as the #2 CB. He would more than likely be a starter on many teams and very few teams have a nickelback as good as Spencer.

18. That goes for any rookie. His position on the depth chart is as one of the Nickel LBs and he's competing with D.Smith for the starting RILB spot.

19. Best joke I've heard all day. The only positions at which I'd say it's pretty clear the Rams are better are LT, QB, WR, and LDE. That's it. The rest is very much up for debate.

20. Weren't the Rams getting hype on some ESPN show not too long ago, being picked to win the division?

21. I hope I cleared it up for you.

22. I don't suppose you were a member of the masses picking the Niners to go 4-12 last year, were you?
    Last edited by Brain Daddy; -06-29-2007 at 11:04 AM.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

I don't remember what I had the Niners going last season.

Also, you keep bringing up St. Louis. This was a post made because of all the media hype and attention they're getting which I feel is unwarranted.

It's getting really annoying when the 2nd place team in a division gets no love at all.

All I hear these analysts saying is:

"The Seahawks are still number one but the ***** and Cardinals could surprise everyone this year."

Yes we faced the bears and lost by 15 points. You take those two Devin Hester returns for TDs and it's a whole different game. Every Rams fan on here can tell you that our Special Teams is some of the worst in the league, and they pretty much cost us the game.

We also lost to the Chargers by 14 points. The difference between our losses and your losses to these teams is that they're powerhouse defenses. We managed to rack up points in the 20s where you guys barely mustered 10 points against the Bears and 19 (which isn't that bad) against the Chargers.

The media hype surrounding the ***** is unreal this year, and I feel it's unwarranted, the only move I see as being great that didn't involve a rookie was the Clements deal and even then you guys overpaid by a WIDE margin and now basically set the standard for overpaying CBs.

The ***** ran the ball just 14 more times than the Rams, and were ranked 19th in rush attempts...I wouldn't call that a run happy offense.

I don't remember any hype for the Rams on ESPN, at best they had 1/4 analysts picking them over the *****, Hawks and...Cardinals for some reason.

The Rams are better at MLB than the Niners, also FS, McMichael, for now is better than Davis until further notice (Though that may very well change this season), Jackson and Gore are pretty well even and I don't want to spark another debate between the two, although I do feel that Jackson is more of a weapon than Gore. The Rams have a better DT in Glover, They also have a better RT in Barron over Kwame Harris (If Barron can get his head into the game and stop taking stupid penalties). Also our RE is better.
    Last edited by Milan; -06-29-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    1. Also, you keep bringing up St. Louis.

2. This was a post made because of all the media hype and attention they're getting which I feel is unwarranted. It's getting really annoying when the 2nd place team in a division gets no love at all. All I hear these analysts saying is: "The Seahawks are still number one but the ***** and Cardinals could surprise everyone this year." I don't remember any hype for the Rams on ESPN, at best they had 1/4 analysts picking them over the *****, Hawks and...Cardinals for some reason.

3. Yes we faced the bears and lost by 15 points. You take those two Devin Hester returns for TDs and it's a whole different game. Every Rams fan on here can tell you that our Special Teams is some of the worst in the league, and they pretty much cost us the game.

We also lost to the Chargers by 14 points. The difference between our losses and your losses to these teams is that they're powerhouse defenses. We managed to rack up points in the 20s where you guys barely mustered 10 points against the Bears and 19 (which isn't that bad) against the Chargers.

4. the only move I see as being great that didn't involve a rookie was the Clements deal

5. even then you guys overpaid by a WIDE margin and now basically set the standard for overpaying CBs.

6. The ***** ran the ball just 14 more times than the Rams, and were ranked 19th in rush attempts...I wouldn't call that a run happy offense.

7. The Rams are better at MLB than the Niners, also FS, McMichael, for now is better than Davis until further notice (Though that may very well change this season), Jackson and Gore are pretty well even and I don't want to spark another debate between the two, although I do feel that Jackson is more of a weapon than Gore. The Rams have a better DT in Glover, They also have a better RT in Barron over Kwame Harris (If Barron can get his head into the game and stop taking stupid penalties). Also our RE is better.
    1. Actually I kept bringing up both the Rams AND Seahawks, because I see them, along with the Niners, as teams that could take the division. I thought the facts you brought up were rather pointless and wanted to show that there wasn't a huge difference in those areas between the Niners, Rams, and Seahawks. Most of what you said about the Niners applied to the other two teams, too, which is why I brought them up.

2. I believe it was Michael Smith on NFL Live. No one team Some say the Hawks, some say the Niners, some say the Rams, and some are still picking the Cardinals. Heck, on NFL.com, Pat Kirwan said the Rams, Niners, and Cards are all potential sleeper teams. The varying answers show just how much everyone thinks this division is up for grabs.

3. No one's arguing that the Rams don't have the best offense in the division, if not one of the best in the NFL. It should be a given that they'd put up more points on a tough defense. It still didn't stop them from losing by double digits (as you mentioned, the team is weak in other areas).

4. Despite being bad in coverage, Michael Lewis is a former pro-bowler and is an upgrade to what was back there previously. Aubrayo Franklin gives the team the NT needed to run the 3-4 full time and is experienced in Nolan's scheme. Banta-Cain is one dimesional, but he fills a hole at a spot where the player is primarily a pass rusher anyway. Jackson provides a stable, veteran presence at WR (as well as taking a productive WR away from a rival). Lelie adds a decent deep threat. You say "those aren't very big names" but you don't look at who they're replacing.

5. Clements' deal is smoke and mirrors. He isn't getting $80 million. The last year of his contract is worth $16 mil and is wiped out when the team exercises a guaranteed option bonus next year. They could've given him a $100 million, and as long as the extra money was on the last year, it wouldn't matter. In reality, his deal is not 80 million for 8 years, but 64 million for 7 years, and even then, he still isn't going to see all of it.

6. Check the run/pass ratios. The Rams ran the ball 39.8% of the time. The Niners ran the ball 47.8% of the time. That's a big difference, and most of those pass attempts came from games where the team was behind and abaondoned the running game.

For comparison, some of the other top passing teams: Philly - 42.1%, NO - 43.9%, Indy - 43.4%.

7. RT is a wash (your comment about Barron applies to Harris as well), FS is a wash (nothing special there for either team), I personally think Moore is better than Witherspoon, Glover wouldn't start on our defense, and Hall is average.

Of course it's a little difficult to compare DLines because linemen in the 3-4 and 4-3 have different responsibilities. On the whole, our front 7 is better, our secondary is better, and our offensive line is better. The only real Rams advantage I see is at the offensive skill positions.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    1. Actually I kept bringing up both the Rams AND Seahawks, because I see them, along with the Niners, as teams that could take the division. I thought the facts you brought up were rather pointless and wanted to show that there wasn't a huge difference in those areas between the Niners, Rams, and Seahawks. Most of what you said about the Niners applied to the other two teams, too, which is why I brought them up.

2. I believe it was Michael Smith on NFL Live. No one team Some say the Hawks, some say the Niners, some say the Rams, and some are still picking the Cardinals. Heck, on NFL.com, Pat Kirwan said the Rams, Niners, and Cards are all potential sleeper teams. The varying answers show just how much everyone thinks this division is up for grabs.

3. No one's arguing that the Rams don't have the best offense in the division, if not one of the best in the NFL. It should be a given that they'd put up more points on a tough defense. It still didn't stop them from losing by double digits (as you mentioned, the team is weak in other areas).

4. Despite being bad in coverage, Michael Lewis is a former pro-bowler and is an upgrade to what was back there previously. Aubrayo Franklin gives the team the NT needed to run the 3-4 full time and is experienced in Nolan's scheme. Banta-Cain is one dimesional, but he fills a hole at a spot where the player is primarily a pass rusher anyway. Jackson provides a stable, veteran presence at WR (as well as taking a productive WR away from a rival). Lelie adds a decent deep threat. You say "those aren't very big names" but you don't look at who they're replacing.

5. Clements' deal is smoke and mirrors. He isn't getting $80 million. The last year of his contract is worth $16 mil and is wiped out when the team exercises a guaranteed option bonus next year. They could've given him a $100 million, and as long as the extra money was on the last year, it wouldn't matter. In reality, his deal is not 80 million for 8 years, but 64 million for 7 years, and even then, he still isn't going to see all of it.

6. Check the run/pass ratios. The Rams ran the ball 39.8% of the time. The Niners ran the ball 47.8% of the time. That's a big difference, and most of those pass attempts came from games where the team was behind and abaondoned the running game.

For comparison, some of the other top passing teams: Philly - 42.1%, NO - 43.9%, Indy - 43.4%.

7. RT is a wash (your comment about Barron applies to Harris as well), FS is a wash (nothing special there for either team), I personally think Moore is better than Witherspoon, Glover wouldn't start on our defense, and Hall is average.

Of course it's a little difficult to compare DLines because linemen in the 3-4 and 4-3 have different responsibilities. On the whole, our front 7 is better, our secondary is better, and our offensive line is better. The only real Rams advantage I see is at the offensive skill positions.

I wouldn't say that the ***** front 7 are better. Their DBs are better. You can't say anything about the TEs because Vernon is unproven so far and McMichael has been one of the league's top TEs for a while.

I have no idea how you'd rate Moore above Witherspoon that doesn't seem correct at all. I'd definitely give it to Witherspoon, especially since he's in a 4-3 and doesn't get as many opportunities for sacks.

Who are your starting LBs? Lawson, Smith, Moore, Banta Cain?

Witherspoon > Moore
    Chillar < Lawson
    Tinoisamoa > Banta Cain

I'm not gonna even put Smith on the list because he's pretty awful.

I'd also rate Atogwe above Lewis and I think that he's going to solidify himself as a great FS this season.

In a nutshell = the niners had very good offensive rushing attack last year. but unless their passing game and defense improve, the Rams new weapons for their passing game will be a better bet.
    :l

Zero Cool is offline Registered User

I don't get you Rams fans. You seem to forget the niners almost beat you twice last year, the second game was lost because of bad coaching on our part, but a win is a win and Ill give you guys credit. The Rams are not a better team than the *****.

Hype is hype, you buy into or you don't. But the niners are improved and the defense will be a lot better. Gore will of course carry the team again, but it all depends on Smith and how well we will do.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Hype has been the kiss of death for NFC West teams lately. Let the hype machines pump up the Seahawks, whiners and Cards, we'll just continue to fly under the radar and wait for our chance to surprise a few people in 2007.