Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rawkhrdr is offline Registered User

Re: I come in peace!

Read good things about Huckeba today. He is starting to get the defense (he finally learned how to back-pedal). But he neds to add weight. He was downa t around 250 or so and the team wants him at about 265, so he gets to eat alot.

I like the Lofa pick, even though we maybe reached for him. He should be starting by midseason, if not sooner. And then I really like our LB corps (Sharper, Niko/Lofa, D.D. Lewis), granted, they are not world beaters, but they will be better than the group that played most of last years (Huff, Bates, Kacyvenski).

To be fair, not all evil robots are killers.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

You Come In Peace How About You Leave In Peace,just Kidding,welcome To The Site

KurtWarner2005MVP is offline Registered User

when you draft 5th rounders in the 2nd, that's how you end up a bad football team.

Seahawk_For_Life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Speaking of the draft, what is Seahawk Nation's take on the Tatupu pick in the 2nd. I mean he was projected for the 5th or 6th round, and I know you guys took a lot of heat from most draftniks (for what their opinion is worth) over that pick. What's your impression of him?
    From what I've read the fans are split on this one. Some fans just can't get over that the draftnik's opinion that he was about a 4th rounder. Other's look past the negatives(height, 40 time) and just see an amazing football player who led the 2x national champs in tackles.

From what we do know, Ruskell, Holmy and Ray Rhodes were in love with this guy and had him targeted in the 2nd round the whole time. He is the reason we didn't use our 2nd round choice to move up in the 1st round to go after a defensive end. Then they got spooked that someone else(Cincy) was going to grab him, so they moved up and took him ahead of Cincy, who did take Odell Thurman.

In my opinion he's a great pick, a Ruskell type player. FYI Ruskell usually doesn't place as much stock in size and speed as other personel people around the league, he usually puts character, heart, toughness, and productivity way ahead of workout warrior type players.

BBlades89 is offline Registered User

Regarding Lofa, here is something that Mike Sando (The News Tribune's Seahawks Beat Writer) had to say after the team's 1st mini-camp:

Sando's Blog

I'll offer a few first impressions here with the disclaimer that I've never been mistaken for a personnel director. But in talking to coaches and players, and from watching camp so far, it seems clear that Lofa Tatupu was the star of the 2005 draft class IN THIS CAMP. As mentioned previously, he compensates for an average 40 time by staying a step ahead of the game mentally. He really seems to have a feel for what the offense is going to do. That's a huge edge as he competes for the starting job in the middle.
    While I know you can't tell all that much from mini-camps and all, it is definitely encouraging. I also remember reading an interview with another USC defensive player (I think Shaun Cody, but not 100%) who said in last year's National Championship game, Tatupu knew a lot of the opposing team's plays before the snap.
    Last edited by BBlades89; -07-11-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Nice Jacket

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BBlades89
    Regarding Lofa, here is something that Mike Sando (The News Tribune's Seahawks Beat Writer) had to say after the team's 1st mini-camp:

Sando's Blog

While I know you can't tell all that much from mini-camps and all, it is definitely encouraging. I also remember reading an interview with another USC defensive player (I think Shaun Cody, but not 100%) who said in last year's National Championship game, Tatupu knew a lot of the opposing team's plays before the snap.
    Instinct is a hard thing to win without. (See: Rams D w/o London)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk_For_Life
    Some fans just can't get over that the draftnik's opinion that he was about a 4th rounder. Other's look past the negatives(height, 40 time) and just see an amazing football player who led the 2x national champs in tackles.
    Personally I think he's going to end up being a better college player than a pro player, but who knows? My take is that he may have been able to make up for a lack of physical skills with smarts back in college, but I think in order to excel in the pros at his position, he'd need to have both. Looked like a reach at the time in my opinion, but he might turn out well and prove me wrong.

Interestingly enough, Sporting News had a note about him in their Team Report for Seattle:

ROOKIE TO WATCH: Big things are expected from Lofa Tatupu, a too-small middle linebacker. That's why Rhodes pushed to take Tatupu in the second round, when other teams had him projected to go much later. The coaches like his instincts, starting with the uncanny ability to almost always make his first step in the right direction. But Tatupu must show he can continue to make plays, as he did for USC, while facing bigger, faster and smarter offensive linemen. Expect him to be used in a situational rotation with second-year man Niko Koutouvides, who rotated last season with the now-departed Orlando Huff (Cardinals).
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Large_Ant is offline Registered User

I'll mooch off of YIAAHF's thread as I am also a Hawk fan who comes in peace. Branching out just to hear less of the same ol'. When you're a diehard football fan, June 15 - July 15 is an ugly time. Just looking for some help to get through it.

Welcome Large Ant ........................ and a nice play (your name) on a great player

BBlades89 is offline Registered User

Here's a good story about Tatupu (thanks to Jazzhawk @ NET for digging this up for me...I lost the link).

This is a story about the triumph of the spirit.

It is a story of repeated rejection and endless miscalculation, but most of all it is a story of hope -- of what a boy with faith in himself and love for a game can do if he is strong enough to let the voice inside him drown out the empty noise of old men's opinions.

Lofa Tatupu's story starts with a trophy that had the wrong name on it and ends with the biggest trophy in college football, the national championship. In between, there were few trophies, no rings, and plenty more rejection than adulation, but there was always something else, too.
    Meet Lofa Tatupu

Nice Jacket

Seahawk_For_Life is offline Registered User

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mailbag/2.html

I've already mentioned a thousand times who my favorite player is in this last draft. Lofa Tatupu, MLB, Southern Cal.
    Dr. Z, Sports Illustrated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12