Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: "I donít have a dog in this fight." An insider's story - Cogs vs Martin

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The fact that this whole mess has found its way outside the locker room opens it up for public scrutiny IMO.

I don't see the racism angle as really germane to the issue, it's more about possible unreasonable harassment and taking things too far. We'll just have to see how it plays out, which for better or worse, is going to happen outside the Dolphins locker room.
    You're right. It will be settled outside the locker room. And IMO that's unfortunate.

You want my opinion? I think Martin broke a trust that was sacred in a locker room. I think he was a full participant in the banter. But at some point, the pressures of the NFL got to be too much. He wanted out and made the mistake of sharing the months old voicemail with an outsider. That led to the circus we have before us today.

Sad all the way around.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You're right. It will be settled outside the locker room. And IMO that's unfortunate.

You want my opinion? I think Martin broke a trust that was sacred in a locker room. I think he was a full participant in the banter. But at some point, the pressures of the NFL got to be too much. He wanted out and made the mistake of sharing the months old voicemail with an outsider. That led to the circus we have before us today.

Sad all the way around.
    Definitely sad all the way around.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Sad all the way around.
    I'd agree it's sad all around. However, I don't think he would still have those months old voicemails if he wasn't anticipating that it might come to this. I'm sure he was trying to fit in, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were ever really buddies. It doesn't mean he was a willing participant in the banter. The big question in my mind is whether Martin even verbally made his concerns known to Incognito or if he just kept brooding over it until it came to a head.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Sad all the way around.
    I don't think its possible to have a sacred trust with violent and crazy. I think its dumb to pretend there is just because you introduced violent and crazy into your men's couch/low-rent Oz. I think its insane and dumb to then declare violent and crazy a unit leader, which is what the Dolphins apparent attitude towards Incognito was.

I know everyone's lining up to say how good and loyal a teammate Incognito is, but for crying out loud we out of all NFL fans should know that's an utter crock. Dude plays out of control on the field, to the point where I assume its the uniform color thats the only thing keeping him from committing personal fouls against his teammates. Of course that doesn't stop him from committing those penalties, which in turn cripple defensive efforts. Yay teamwork!

And that really ignores why Nebraska kicked him out, which was for beating the crap out of one of his teammates. Good and loyal, feh. I'd be scared to turn my back to him in a bar fight because he might take advantage of the opening to clobber me with a chair.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

I think Martin broke a trust that was sacred in a locker room. I think he was a full participant in the banter.
    If Martin broke the trust of the locker room, why should we expect any other Dolphin player to come forward now and denounce the actions of Incognito? It seems to me you are expecting players to break the trust and if they don't, it proves a negative. Any player that comes forward now will look bad because they were complicit in what they are denouncing.

I suspect Martin is done in the NFL. Incognito will likely be given another shot on a desperate team but won't be given anything but a 1-year deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12