HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel cheated by Freeney and Sanders!

For all the talk I heard about Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders, I was expecting to see a couple of top notch defenders. Freeney got man-handled by Pace the entire night.....and Sanders didn't do anything noticeable. He made a few tackles, but I thought he was supposed to be some kind of head cracker.

As a football fan, I was very disappointed.....all that hype without anything to show for it.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: I feel cheated by Freeney and Sanders!

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    For all the talk I heard about Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders, I was expecting to see a couple of top notch defenders. Freeney got man-handled by Pace the entire night.....and Sanders didn't do anything noticeable. He made a few tackles, but I thought he was supposed to be some kind of head cracker.

As a football fan, I was very disappointed.....all that hype without anything to show for it.
    I agree HUb. I'm especially disappointed in "Black Bob", who was put forth by some of our Colt friends as the most intense hitter since Dick Butkus with a video montage of his "big" college hits. I guess there's a difference between college and the pro's because other than one good hit on Jackson, I was not impressed.

The only hype actually realized was the Ram offense being able to score on a unproven Colt D, almost matching the point production of the first 5 Colt opponents combined. It seems the second coming of the '85 Bear defense was greatly exaggerated.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Now you know how I feel ... about sMartz that is.

{Flag}{Whistle} [Oh, geezz, not again.] That's unsportsman-like conduct on No. 2. Unnecessary roughness. That's a 15-post penalty from the spot of the foul. He's disqualified from this thread. {Whistle}

Wait a minute, I didn't ...

hoosier is offline Registered User

Don't know if you guys know it but Freeney and Sanders both missed practices during the week with injuries. Sanders is playing injured probably the rest of the year. That's not to take anything away from the job OP did on Freeney. I'm big enough to admit that Pace pretty much owned Freeney for the biggest share of the game. Freeney did force a fumble/turnover late however. As for Sanders, he co-led the team in tackles with 7. A respectable evening.
    You guys did scrore on our D, as expected as you have an awesome offense. Our D did force several turnovers so that's a draw at best.

hoosier

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier
    Don't know if you guys know it but Freeney and Sanders both missed practices during the week with injuries. Sanders is playing injured probably the rest of the year. That's not to take anything away from the job OP did on Freeney. I'm big enough to admit that Pace pretty much owned Freeney for the biggest share of the game. Freeney did force a fumble/turnover late however. As for Sanders, he co-led the team in tackles with 7. A respectable evening.
    You guys did scrore on our D, as expected as you have an awesome offense. Our D did force several turnovers so that's a draw at best.

hoosier
    Hoosier, the one thing that was impressive about the Colt D, was their opportunistic abilities. The Colts have playmakers with a lot of athletic ability on defense. I did expect more from Sanders though, especially after the over the top way he was being hyped. Archuleta had the same number of tackles as Sanders, for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Hoosier, the one thing that was impressive about the Colt D, was their opportunistic abilities. The Colts have playmakers with a lot of athletic ability on defense. I did expect more from Sanders though, especially after the over the top way he was being hyped. Archuleta had the same number of tackles as Sanders, for whatever that's worth.

I'm only speculating here because as unbelievable as it is, the colts coaching staff does not confide in me. Hope I didn't burst any bubbles. Anyway, there have been a few instances, most notably in the SF game where Sanders and Doss looked like they were more interested in the big hit than they were in actually making the tackle.

Can't remember his name but SF's running back took some huge shots, shook them off and gained positive yards. I remember one in particular where he was actually driven backwards two steps, got his balance and ripped us. I wouldn't be surprised if practices this week had a lot of emphasis on wrapping up and not so much emphasis on hitting. Like I said, pure speculation on my part.

And for whatever it's worth, that's a nice night for Archuleta as well.

hoosier

I guess the bottom line here is we WISH we had a D with the talent and ability the Colts have.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I guess the bottom line here is we WISH we had a D with the talent and ability the Colts have.

My Gawd, can I relate to that!!

hoosier

Good luck to good fans!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier

hoosier
    Yea that's understandable. I guess after all the hyping these two were getting I wanted to see something more spectacular for my only televised Colts game of the year. Of course, Freeney's numbers speak for themselves, but Sanders had intrigued me the way that a couple of Colts fans played him up. We even have our own Ram fan who thinks he's the 2nd coming of Jack Tatum.

Injuries happen and I understand that, but like I said, with this being the only Colt game I'll see, I suppose I wanted to see more. That's my fault for biting on the all the hype.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod