Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    megas711 is offline Registered User

If you could change football.....

If you change anything about football or our beloved RAMS, what would it be?

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Re: If you could change football.....

I would abolish the accursed 'Tuck Rule'. Allow players to fight for a while, like in hockey. Have lots of minigames to involve the fans into the game. Shorter lines and cheaper food at the games.
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Professional officials for a professional game. Full time, baby.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I agree with Nick. It would be nice to see one game where every official did a perfect job.

I'm glad the officials aren't USAF bomber pilots. If they were, 'precision bombing' would mean that the bomb hit the ground somewhere in the solar system about 30% of the time...LOL

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

NO hands used by o-linemen

Offensive holding 15 yard penalty

TOUCH the face mask: 15 yards ALWAYS

Unlimited chucking within three yards of line of scrimmage
    Outlaw artificial turf, NFL should fund scientific research into growing grass in domes.

Super Bowl should be played in outdoor cold weather stadium every other year.

Start with Lambeau and Rich.

NO contact allowed (outside chuck zone) between receivers and d-backs.

----------------------

Unfortunately, these do not help the Rams.

-----------------------

Now, to help the Rams:

Pass a constitutional amendment barring girls from owning or having a controlling interest in an NFL club. That should help the Rams.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater

-----------------------

Now, to help the Rams:

Pass a constitutional amendment barring girls from owning or having a controlling interest in an NFL club. That should help the Rams.
    Now, now.......don't let one bad apple ruin the whole tree for you. Amend that to say old ladies in their 80's that have no clue what's going on, please. Thanks in advance.

If we had a younger gal that knows a lot about the game, follows players, and had the right amount of the right attitude and who's very LIFE revolves around football, then it is possible to have at LEAST some measure of success.
    Last edited by MOM; -02-17-2006 at 10:37 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Change the overtime rule so both teams would get at least one possession.

Fix the ambiguous wording about making "a football move" for a reception to count (i.e. that crazy Polamalu interception call).

Even harsher penalties for performance enhancing drugs. I could care less whether the players smoke pot, but I wouldn't be opposed to a first time and you're out of the sport for good approach to steroids users.

Quit giving obscenely high contracts to top draftees or at least put the big numbers in incentives. It's bad enough when a top draft pick is a bust, but it's even worse when he's busting your cap to boot.

Quit trying to coerce cities to pay for new stadiums with the threat of moving. The NFL brings in more than enough money to pay for facilities without our taxes.

More consistent enforcement of the rules. Professional refs might be the way to go. I just think it was ridiculous a couple years ago when people made such a big deal about the NFL asking the referees to enforce the contact rules that were already in place.

Quit bringing race into the equation when it isn't appropriate. Not too long ago, Donovan McNabb said TO was guilty of "black on black crime" because of his comments about if he'd had Brett Favre as his QB. Now Owens is a racist too? Same problem with the hiring of head coaches this year. The media makes a big deal that Shell was the only minority head coach hired, but I have a hard time believing any team would opt out on somebody they thought had a better chance of winning just because of his ethnicity. Too much money involved. I abhor racial discrimination, but I don't like people trying to turn everything into a race issue either.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -02-17-2006 at 10:50 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I would eliminate the "beyond the tackle box" exemption for intentional grounding. Why should a QB be allowed to get rid of it just because he scrambled outside? He can either take a knee, scramble for a few yards, run out of bounds, or take his chances putting in the air to his receivers.

I've just never understood why the QBs position on the field makes it any less "intentional grounding" when he fires it into the stands.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Has evertone forgotten about the Tuck Rule? To me that is the worst rule in the NFL but they will never get rid of it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

1. Full-time referees.

2. Salary-cap exemptions for long-time players (i.e. a player who has been with one team more than 7 years) to promote retaining career team players.

3. Relaxing of rules regarding blocking on kick/punt returns (every freaking time I see a good return, by any team, I expect it to be called back)

4. Move draft to March/rookie salary cap: This would almost ensure that every rookie would be signed and in camp. NO MORE HOLDOUTS!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, the Tuck Rule needs to go, too. The rule should read "if the ball leaves the quarterback's hand going forward out of his throwing motion, it is an incomplete pass." Otherwise it's a fumble (or possibly a lateral).

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Oh, and one more...

Get rid of all the Super Bowl "glitz"!

I want to see a Super Bowl played ONE WEEK after the Championship Games, in a cold-weather city, with a grass-field stadium. Maybe play the game in Canton, Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    3. Relaxing of rules regarding blocking on kick/punt returns (every freaking time I see a good return, by any team, I expect it to be called back)
    Yeah why is it that I always expect on any good play, some holding call or face mask is waiting by the start to screw up the entire drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Yeah, the Tuck Rule needs to go, too. The rule should read "if the ball leaves the quarterback's hand going forward out of his throwing motion, it is an incomplete pass." Otherwise it's a fumble (or possibly a lateral).
    It shouldnt matter if the QB is trying to pull it back in. the point is he DROPPED THE BALL! Whoever came up with this rule should be slapped for ingrating it into the rules.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Change the overtime rule so both teams would get at least one possession.
    This is one that I vehemently disagree with. I think that the NFL's got it right when it comes to overtime. You're defense should be just as responsible as the offense in a sudden death situation in my opinion.

I think all the qb protection stuff should be scaled back. I don't think qb's are getting hurt any less now than they were 20 years ago. All the "protection" just seems to be making them soft.

I getting rid of instant replay is probably a good idea. The whole point of it was to clarify and eliminate errors. It hasn't and if human interpretation's still going to be such a huge factor, let it happen at real time. Otherwise, put the officials in front of monitors in the booth(s) and just call down every penalty they see to an onfield official. Do we really want a "perfectly" called game?

I would use technology to put some kind of laser beam on the goal line to determine if the ball get's over or not. The officials have enough to watch and it would make it easier for them to call everything else that's going on. You'd have to have some kind of connection that would turn the laser off once a runner was ruled down. Hmmm, maybe it's not a good idea after all.

Lastly, the one I like the best(which I heard somewhere else. Damn, I wish I would have come up wtih it it's so perfect.) is to move the 1st down marker further away when an offense get's penalized inside it's own 10 (instead of half the distance to the goal). If they have 1st and 10 at the 5 yard line for example, and a holding penalty is called, then it's going to be 1st and 12 1/2 if the penalty is accpeted. I think the defense should have the option, in addition to just declining the penalty, of moving the sticks so instead of inching the ball back closer to the goal line, they could choose to take the full ten yards but move the first down marker to the 25 instead of the 15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast