general counsel is offline Registered User

If you were a bears fan and i told you...

If you were a bears fan and i told you before the game started that the colts would turn the ball over three times, that the bears would return a kickoff for a td. that vinaiteri would miss a short field goal and that the game would be played in a driving rainstorm, you would have felt pretty good about your chances wouldnt you?

Just goes to show you that when your qb stinks, its pretty hard to win a big game, let alone a game against a team with more talent.

Grossman was horrible. His arm strength and accuracy are lousy, but at least he makes up for it with a complete lack of leadership, terrible hands, very limited mobility, lousy judgment and an ability to save his absolute worst performance for when the game is on the line.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: If you were a bears fan and i told you...

I'm honestly surprised that more people weren't saying this before the game started. Grossman is a joke. Why after he failed so miserably so many times this season they didn't start Griese I'll never know. Griese isn't that great either but at least he's not so turnover prone, and anything is better than Rex.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Grossman was horrible. His arm strength and accuracy are lousy, but at least he makes up for it with a complete lack of leadership, terrible hands, very limited mobility, lousy judgment and an ability to save his absolute worst performance for when the game is on the line.
    I'm not sure how serious you're being in your assessment, but there are some good qualities to Rex Grossman - he has good accuracy on short and intermediate passes, I think. That fourth down pass late in the game was right on the money but got dropped. When Rex gets set, plants his feet, and throws, I think he can be very accurate. In terms of his arm strength, I agree it's poor. His deep ball is more of a throw-it-up-and-let-the-receiver-go-get-it kind of situation.

What we have to remember about Grossman is that this is basically his first season. In three seasons before this one, he's played in eight games. This is his first full season, so obviously there will be some hiccups. If Grossman can grow as a decision maker he could probably be an efficient quarterback for this run-heavy team. Does that mean they shouldn't go out and look at someone? Not necessarily, though they probably won't with both Sexy Rexy and Brian Griese on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that more people weren't saying this before the game started.
    What do you mean? There were plenty of people saying this before the game. The entire media was all over Rex leading up to this game. People were on his back since the regular season game against Arizona. Week after week Lovie Smith has had to emphasize in his press conferences how Rex is still their quarterback. It's been an issue all season.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The absolute horrible play calling was as big a factor as anything in the Beras demise. An effective Thomas Jones was grossly underutilized with only 15 carries as the Bears for some reason chose to put the game on the shoulders of a shaky Rex Grossman. Playing against Grossman's strengths in the short passing game and trying to force things deep at inopportune times only killed drives and lead to disaster.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

The injury to Cedric Benson early in the game had an impact on the offense and the play calling. Who knows what they could have done with the two running backs in the mix.

Grossman had a really bad game, but he is young and he is going to make mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    The injury to Cedric Benson early in the game had an impact on the offense and the play calling. Who knows what they could have done with the two running backs in the mix.

Grossman had a really bad game, but he is young and he is going to make mistakes.
    I don't think Benson's injury had any real impact on the play calling or the offense. The fact is, Thomas was able to effectively gain yardage and the Bears running game was never shut down. In light of Grossman's problems throwing the ball downfield, IMO it was a mistake to force the issue and not take advantage of what the defense was giving them.

Nick, when a qb has at best average arm strength, he has to be superaccurate in my view to have a successful nfl career. Grossman may have played only one year, but he had two and a half or three seasons of professional experience, coaching and film study. The fact that he can be accurate on short and intermediate passes when he has a chance to plant his feet and step into the ball doesnt mean much to me as that describes almost any qb on an nfl roster. As soon as he is under any kind of pressure, he is throwing off his back foot and when he is under pressure he was awful all year. You cant make a living sitting back untouched in the pocket.

As a comparison, remember bulger in 2004? He was light years ahead of where grossman is now in my view and that was without the pedigree and first round expectations.

Let me put it another way. Name me five worse starting qbs in the nfl than grossman? Think hard. Oakland, minnesota, cleveland, miami maybe, tampa? Thats about all i can come up with off the top of my head. He is at best an ok qb with an above average o line and an excellent running game. In those circumstances, he shouldnt fall apart every time there is a rush in his face.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't think I'd lump Minnesota in there if you're referring to Brad Johnson. Brad Johnson/Brian Griese would have been perfect for the Bears yesterday. I couldn't believe that Lovie...well, I could believe it but I couldn't agree with his decision to keep Grossman in there after his turnover at the start of the 4th quarter. At that point, he'd given him every opportunity to make something happen and he hadn't shown anything at all. I understand supporting the starter but how many Super Bowls does he think he's going to coach in? I can just imagine that he was worried that if he pulled Rex that it would adversely effect things next year. I just don't agree with being loyal to Rex to the extent that it damages the loyalty of the rest of the team.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Grossman may have played only one year, but he had two and a half or three seasons of professional experience, coaching and film study.
    None of which is at all as valuable as actually being out on the field playing the game. How did Carson Palmer do in his first year of starting after a year of "professional experience" as well as a background as being one of the best collegiate passers at a pro-style university? Not comparing Grossman to Palmer, but rather emphasizing the importance of actually getting out on the field on Sundays and playing versus holding a clipboard and watching films.

Let me put it another way. Name me five worse starting qbs in the nfl than grossman? Think hard.
    To name five, Charlie Frye, Tavaris Jackson, Alex Smith, Aaron Brooks, Chris Simms.

On top of that there are plenty of other guys who started for their team at some point this season that I would pass on for Grossman at this point.

I recall hearing a stat during the playoffs that of all NFL quarterbacks this season only Marc Bulger had more games this year in which he achieved a 100+ quarterback rating. Game by game, if you look at what Grossman did this year, he played adequate to very good football in 10 of his 16 games. In the playoffs against the Seahawks and Saints, he also played well. So were all those performances a fluke? I find that hard to believe.

Is the guy a good quarterback right now? No, he's inconsistent but shows potential which isn't exactly surprising for a guy going through his first season in the NFL. Am I saying he's going to develop into the greatest quarterback of the modern era? Certainly not. But I don't think you go out on the field and play the way he did at times this year if you don't have the potential to develop into a good quarterback and you don't have at least some talent.

As I said before, if Grossman can continue to grow as a decision maker and improve on his fundamentals, he could be an efficient quarterback for Chicago because the Bears don't need a Peyton-caliber world beater behind center to find success. After all, they got this far with an relatively inconsistent Grossman.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I recall hearing a stat during the playoffs that of all NFL quarterbacks this season only Marc Bulger had more games this year in which he achieved a 100+ quarterback rating.
    Once again, another reason why Marc Bulger is actually God. Bulger used to throw interceptions because he pitied the other team, but now Bulger is a vengeful God, striking fear into opposition defenses with his pinpoint accuracy and ability to walk on water

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    What do you mean? There were plenty of people saying this before the game. The entire media was all over Rex leading up to this game. People were on his back since the regular season game against Arizona. Week after week Lovie Smith has had to emphasize in his press conferences how Rex is still their quarterback. It's been an issue all season.
    I meant I'm surprised more people on this board weren't saying this. So many were overlooking the Rex factor and picking the Bears. I knew he'd have a bad game, but the second I saw it was raining I knew the game was over. Rex and the Bears never had a chance.

The thing is Ramsfan, they sure did have a chance. Rain or no rain, it was 22-17 in the fourth quarter. Rex had been terrible, but he was still in a position to win the game. Actually, going back a possession earlier, it was 22-14 and the bears started on the colts 40 and all they could get was a field goal. Rex made two terrible terrible throws with the season on the line. As bad as he was early in the game, including the two fumbles, it was still anyones game until the two ints in the fourth quarter.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Per Craig Ferguson, the bears had no chance because it is winter and everyone knows that bears hibernate in the winter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The thing is Ramsfan, they sure did have a chance. Rain or no rain, it was 22-17 in the fourth quarter. Rex had been terrible, but he was still in a position to win the game. Actually, going back a possession earlier, it was 22-14 and the bears started on the colts 40 and all they could get was a field goal. Rex made two terrible terrible throws with the season on the line. As bad as he was early in the game, including the two fumbles, it was still anyones game until the two ints in the fourth quarter.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Like I said, with Rex at the helm, they never stood a chance. The close score was only false hope to Bears fans and the prolonging of the inevitable. The Bears D and Hester made it a little more interesting, but it was only a matter of time til Rex handed the game to the Colts.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -02-06-2007 at 03:16 PM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Rex did OK at the start of the game when all he had to do was little passes every now and then, but for some reason the Bears offense started throwing the ball around when it would have been much better to continue running the ball.

Also, why didnt the bears try and use the sidelines at the end of the game? would have saved quite a bit of time. Yes i know they were far behind, but its the Superbowl, you dont give up til its over.