Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Isaac Bruce wins Len Eshmont award

Isaac Bruce isn’t exactly a talker. Mike Singletary joked that the longest conversation he’s ever had with him might have lasted two minutes. “That was quite an accomplishment,’’ Singleary cracked.

But with a presence and stature such Bruce’s, words are overrated. People follow him. His ***** teammates confirmed that Wednesday by voting the receiver as the winner of the Len Eshmont Award.

For four years running, it has gone to Bryant Young, Young who has won it eight times in the last 12 seasons. Bruce becomes the first wide receiver to win the team’s most prestigious honor since 1993, when Jerry Rice won. Bruce is also the first player to win the award in his first season with the team since Tony Parrish in 2002.

“When you have a guy like that in the locker room, it makes your job as a coach that much easier,’’ Singletary said.

On what it means to receive an award from his peers:
    That's the biggest thing - when your peers vote for you. That stands out more than anything else because they're around you every day.

On what's stood out to him about the ***** since joining the team:
    I think what's stood out is that most of the young guys don't realize who they play for as far as the tradition that's with this organization - guys who have been here, the championships this team has. I don't think they relish it. They could do a little bit more in studying the history of the San Francisco ***** from the standpoint of being part of this organization and truly understanding how they played and what they played for.

On whether he's hard of Len Eshmont:
    Honestly, I didn't. I didn't know too much - just what the staff has told me. I think it's a great award. I see many faces on the wall and it's truly a wall full of hall of famers if you ask me.

On former 49er Bryant Young, who has won the Eshmont more than any other 49er:
    I faced him a lot of times, and he's disrupted a lot of things I was trying to get done on numerous occasions. Hard-nose guy, and I don't know. I think if they were giving it for toughness and accountability, I think he'd be up there even more.

The Eshmont Award, voted on by the players, is given annually to the ***** player who best exemplifies the inspirational and courageous play of Eshmont. Eshmont was part of the *****' original ***** team in 1946 and scored the franchise's first rushing touchdown. He was originally drafted by the New York Giants in 1941 but joined the Navy a year later. After his career with the *****, Eshmont coached at Navy and later for the University of Virginia. He died in 1957 of infectious hepatitis at age 39. That year, the ***** established the award. The first player to win it was Y.A. Tittle. Tittle, Joe Perry, Leo Nomellini, Bob St. Clair, Jimmy Johnson, Joe Montana and Steve Young are the Pro Football Hall of Famers who have won it. The honor is awarded to the most "inspirational and courageous player."
    I know there are quite a few Isaac Bruce fans here so I thought this might be of some interest. I've been impressed with and surprised by just how good a player he still is. I originally wasn't thrilled about signing him but I'm now definitely glad he's on the team.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Isaac Bruce wins Len Eshmont award

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy View Post
    I know there are quite a few Isaac Bruce fans here so I thought this might be of some interest. I've been impressed with and surprised by just how good a player he still is. I originally wasn't thrilled about signing him but I'm now definitely glad he's on the team.
    Thanks for posting B Daddy. He is a quality player and person and I hate to see him playing for your team, but at least he is getting some recognition from the organization.

I have never heard of this award before. That dude died pretty young.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Isaac Bruce wins Len Eshmont award

Congrats to Mr. Bruce, he's played pretty well for them this year.