Jags' Greg Jones out for season

NFL.com wire reports

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (Aug. 28, 2005) -- Jaguars running back Greg Jones will miss the season after having surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee.

Jones, the team's starting fullback and Fred Taylor 's primary backup, injured his knee against Tampa Bay. Coach Jack Del Rio initially said it was a sprained medial collateral ligament, but tests revealed a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

"It's unfortunate," Del Rio said. "He's a great football player. He's my kind of guy. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the way he plays the game and the way he prepares himself. I can't say enough about him. He's a great young man and I know he'll come back strong. We're going to miss him."

Jones sustained a similar injury to his right knee during his final season at Florida State and dropped to the second round in the 2004 NFL draft. He ran 62 times for 162 yards and three touchdowns as a rookie, but was featured more last season. He carried 151 times for 575 yards and four scores.

The Jaguars had planned to platoon the oft-injured Taylor and Jones this season, using the 6-foot-1, 250-pound Jones in short-yardage situations and near the goal line.

Now, Derrick Wimbush moves into the starting fullback spot and LaBrandon Toefield becomes Taylor's main backup.

"The depth we have gives us a greater sense of security," Del Rio said. "LaBrandon has had an excellent camp. He's stayed healthy. He's shown bursts. He's had a great camp."