Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Jaworski Replacing Theismann In MNF Booth

There will be a quarterback change in the Monday Night Football broadcast booth for the 2007 season.

Ron Jaworski will join Mike Tirico and Tony Kornheiser on the ESPN telecast. Jaworski replaces Joe Theismann, who has been offered a prominent football analyst job with the network.

"We appreciate the work Joe has done for 19 years and continue to talk with him about another high-profile football role with ESPN," said Norby Williamson, ESPN's executive vice president for studio and remote production.

Michele Tafoya and Suzy Kolber will continue as sideline reporters.

Williamson said chemistry was not the reason for the change.

"I thought Joe and Tony got along very well, and I thought the dialogue was good and was conversational," he said. "I think we're going to build on last year. We had a fantastic first year. I was happy with the booth and I think we're in a position now of continuing to move it forward and to build on it."

Jaworski, who played 17 years in the NFL, most notably as quarterback of the Eagles, joined ESPN in 1990. He has been a prominent NFL analyst for the network and his studio duties will now be spread among ESPN's other NFL analysts, including newcomers Emmitt Smith and Bill Parcells.

"I'm an 'Xs-and-Os' guy. I love breaking down the game. I love the strategy of the game," Jaworski said in a conference call. "That's the beauty of what I will bring to the table is that insight of 'Xs and Os.'"

Jaworski, who regularly appears on ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, hosted by Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon, said he has been friends with Kornheiser for over a decade.

"It's been a wonderful [relationship] thus far, but certainly now the stage is bigger and brighter," Jaworski said. "I think our role, people will see how well we do get along."

Theismann, a storied quarterback in Redskins history, was the NFL's MVP in 1983 and led Washington to victory in Super Bowl XVII.

Last season, ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football was the most-watched series in the history of cable television and the only NFL series nominated for a 2007 Sports Emmy in the Outstanding Live Sports Series category.

Nine of the top 10 on the list of cable television's biggest household audiences ever came from ESPN's coverage of Monday Night Football in 2006, including the Giants-Cowboys game on Oct. 23, 2006, which ranks No. 1 all-time with a 12.8 rating.

Re: Jaworski Replacing Theismann In MNF Booth

Williamson said chemistry was not the reason for the change.

"I thought Joe and Tony got along very well, and I thought the dialogue was good and was conversational," he said. "I think we're going to build on last year. We had a fantastic first year. I was happy with the booth and I think we're in a position now of continuing to move it forward and to build on it."
    Jaworski, who regularly appears on ESPN's Pardon The Interruption, hosted by Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon, said he has been friends with Kornheiser for over a decade.

"It's been a wonderful [relationship] thus far, but certainly now the stage is bigger and brighter," Jaworski said. "I think our role, people will see how well we do get along."
    Hmmm. ESPN says there was no chemistry problem between Kornheiser and Theismann, then new guy Jaworski makes a specific point of saying how well they get along. Obviously there was a chemistry problem. Most likely a thin skinned Theismann.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Hmmm. ESPN says there was no chemistry problem between Kornheiser and Theismann, then new guy Jaworski makes a specific point of saying how well they get along. Obviously there was a chemistry problem. Most likely a thin skinned Theismann.
    From somewhere around the middle of the season on I sensed a tension between them -- to me it was obvious. I don't think Korny liked Joe from the get go. Sometimes peoples' personalities just don't mesh. On one hand that can work to a network's advantage, ( Dandy Don Meredith vs Howard Cosell comes to mind) but more often than not someone ends up getting the boot. What is surprising to me is how well Kornheiser came across on tv -- particularly after his preseason comments about how he never watched MNF and downplayed his overall NFL knowledge. Love him or not, Tony probably exceeded initial network expectations to the extent that the end result was Joe's getting canned. I won't be sorry to see Joe go as I felt he simply tallked too much. The infusion of "Jaws" should be interesting ... Your "thin skinned" comment by the way is right on the money!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I kind of liked the tension between Kornheiser and Theismann, but I'm not crying at the change. The fact that Tirico, Jaws and Kornheiser all get along should still make for an entertaining booth.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I like a little tension in the booth....however I actually liked Dennis Miller

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

One down, two to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Some of the excuses made for Jared Cook are laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    One down, two to go.
    ramsbruce, I can see why people might not like Kornheiser, but how could you have a problem with Mike Tirico?!

ramsbruce, I can see why people might not like Kornheiser, but how could you have a problem with Mike Tirico?!
    I do like Korn on PTI, but he's useless on MNF. As for Tirico, I don't really mind him, but if you remember back to last season MNF had 2 games during week 1 and in the second booth they had Brad Nessler, Dick V, and Jaws and they did a fantastic job. I like Nessler better than Tirico, and Dick V over Korn is a no brainer, so like I said, one down two to go.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    I do like Korn on PTI, but he's useless on MNF. As for Tirico, I don't really mind him, but if you remember back to last season MNF had 2 games during week 1 and in the second booth they had Brad Nessler, Dick V, and Jaws and they did a fantastic job. I like Nessler better than Tirico, and Dick V over Korn is a no brainer, so like I said, one down two to go.
    Fair enough.

Fair enough.
    Don't get me wrong, replacing Joe T with Jaws is great news and long overdue, but if they could get Dick V in there for Korn I would be pretty satisfied even though I do like Nessler over Tirico, at least I can deal with Tirico.

On a sidenote, the NFL Network needs to take notes from ESPN and apply them to Bryant "3rd Period" Gumbel and fire him NOW.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I like a little tension in the booth....however I actually liked Dennis Miller
    Dennis Miller???:x :x :x
    On a scale of 1-10 he was (-10) in my book.

Just one mans opinion.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm a big admire of sarcasm.....and Dennis Miller is a fantastic sarcasm comedian. If you listen to him also, you might learn something.

hey hey hey.........lol

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm a big admire of sarcasm.....and Dennis Miller is a fantastic sarcasm comedian. If you listen to him also, you might learn something.

hey hey hey.........lol
    As the saying goes.....It's very tough to teach an old dog new tricks.

This dog is old!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Dennis Miller???:x :x :x
    On a scale of 1-10 he was (-10) in my book.

Just one mans opinion.
    I agree with you -- Dennis was a mistake! In fairness to Dennis however, I don't think he had a chance from the get go as MNF is not the right format for his talents. He was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole ... On a side note I have to ask Tex if you favor sarcasm -- what do you think of George Carlin ...??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast