Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Jerry Rice: "Alex Smith is not the quarterback of the future."

Rice: Smith is not team's QB of future
    By Roger Phillips, STAFF WRITER

SANTA CLARA The talk-radio caller had a simple question for Jerry Rice on Friday afternoon.

And the legendary former ***** and Raiders receiver didn't back down.

"I heard in the media somewhere, Jerry, that you said that whoever drafted Alex Smith probably should be fired," the caller to Rice's show on Sirius Satellite Radio said. "Is that an accurate statement?"

Rice replied, "Yes, I made that statement."

The ***** chose Smith first overall in last year's NFL Draft. Smith, with little talent surrounding him, struggled mightily during his rookie season.

Rice's basic premise is that he doubts the 22-year-old Smith is capable of eventually leading the downtrodden ***** back to the Super Bowl. Rice did praise first-year offensive coordinator Norv Turner.

"I feel like Alex Smith is not the quarterback of the future," Rice said. "I think Norv is going to make it better for him this season, but still, you're not going to see him fill like a (Joe) Montana or a Steve Young he's not going to fill their shoes."

Rice added of Smith, "He might be OK. But I don't think he's going to be that good."

Spokesman Aaron Salkin said team officials are aware of Rice's comments but that they will have no effect on pending plans for Rice officially to retire as a 49er this season. There has been speculation a ceremony might be held at halftime of the *****' home game on Nov. 19 against Seattle.

"It's not going to change anything like that," Salkin said. "He has his own radio show. He's entitled to his opinion, for sure. He's passionate about his team, and he should be."

Rice is scheduled to do his show from ***** training camp on Aug. 15. Toward the end of Rice's comments Friday, he softened his stance on Smith, but only a little.

"Maybe I'm being unfair," Rice said, "about putting him in the shoes of Steve Young or Joe Montana."

LATE HIT: Nolan was asked if left cornerback is reserved for a team's top player at that position. It was mentioned that former 49er Ahmed Plummer used to play left cornerback.

"He wasn't a top cornerback when I got here, I know that," Nolan said of Plummer, who has retired.

EXTRA POINTS: Defensive end Jerry DeLoach, who sprained his right knee Thursday, will miss up to three weeks, Nolan said. Several other players did not practice Friday, including center Jeremy Newberry (swelling in his knee), tight end Terry Jones (foot), defensive end Bryant Young (groin) and safety Mark Roman (groin). Aside from DeLoach, the injuries are minor, Nolan said. ... The ***** will hold a scrimmage this afternoon, running roughly 60 plays with at least some hitting, quarterbacks exempted. Nolan said the first- and second-team players will get the bulk of the action, with the third-stringers wrapping up the practice. The ***** will not practice Sunday, then resume workouts Monday. The preseason opener is Friday at home against the Chicago Bears.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Jerry Rice: "Alex Smith is not the quarterback of the future."

Wow. Thats probrably makes Alex Smith feel like crap. I agree though, I don't think Alex Smith was the QB to Draft.
    RamsFan16

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I don't see how Rice can make critical statements about Smith after only one year. I mean Smith isn't the only rookie QB to struggle in his first go-round in the NFL. Granted he looked spotty at best, but a lot of QB's would look terrible playing for the Phony Whiners at this point. I wonder if Rice is saying these things to boost the ratings for his radio program.

WHAT SAY YE?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Jerry Rice has 20 years of professional experience on which to base his conclusions. Its a LOT different when jerry rice says it than when someone on this board or a writer says it. Rice didnt say that they guy wouldnt improve from his rookie year, only that in his opinion, he didnt think he was the qb of the future

The comparison to young and montana is in my view unfair. Does that mean every qb who doesnt make the HOF is a failure? However, i do think that rice has the basis and credentials to voice an informed opinion.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Wow! Jerry, NOT ALL QBs had you to throw too. Alex just didnt have the WRs to throw to except Lloyd but hes gone. Alex Smith doesnt have Jerry Rice or Owens to throw too. Thats why he sucked last year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Jerry Rice has 20 years of professional experience on which to base his conclusions. Its a LOT different when jerry rice says it than when someone on this board or a writer says it. Rice didnt say that they guy wouldnt improve from his rookie year, only that in his opinion, he didnt think he was the qb of the future

The comparison to young and montana is in my view unfair. Does that mean every qb who doesnt make the HOF is a failure? However, i do think that rice has the basis and credentials to voice an informed opinion.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    You're absolutely right GC that Rice is more qualified than most to make a determination about Smith, but judging a rookie's potential as "the QB of the future" after 9 games on a horrible team is a bit premature IMO. Steve Young's rookie stats and performance with Tampa were actually comparable to what Smith did last year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mike, thats a fair point. If his conclusion was based on stats, i would agree 100%. It would be interesting to hear more detail on what he was basing his opinion on.

I am frequently on record as saying that the qb gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go wrong. I agree that smith was in a terrible situation last year with a lousy line, well below average receivers and below average running game (except against us of course).

For the most part, all the rookie qb's struggle, which is why i hate in general when people criticize them based on their stats. HOwever, i think a guy like jerry rice has the capacity to watch and predict better than we would based on intangibles and experience, ie the ability to separate out the circumstances from the guy's true potential.

My gut on smith was always that he looked the best in a weak year for qb's.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I just hope he continues to struggle, especially against us. I truly despise that cheating franchise.

May they continue to stink up the NFL.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

My gut on smith was always that he looked the best in a weak year for qb's.
    I would agree with that. Smith and Rodgers were the best of the best last year at draft time and neither would be at the top of any other draft. The niners spent a #1 pick on a #12 QB. At least the Pack got some value with Rodgers near the end of the 1st.

As for Rice.....with all due respect, I think some of the worst talent evaluators are All-Pro players at the end of their career. I'm no psychologist, but it's as if they hold all other players up to their own standards which are impossible to replicate. It's the same idea that the elite athletes rarely become coaches. Look at most of the coaching staffs now; with the exception of Mike Singletary, Henry Ellard, Edgar Bennett, and a handful more, coaches are known for their coaching careers, not their playing careers.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

I agree with Jerry that Alex is probably not going to be able to fill the shoes of a Joe Montana or a Steve Young. Maybe he won't be that good. It's hard to be very optimistic about Smith's individual ability after last season.

Where I disagree is that it doesn't necessarily mean he can't be the QB of the future or possibly lead the team to a Super Bowl. I think if he can play consistent, mistake-free football and Nolan & Co. do what they can to give him help, I think Smith, and subsequently the team, can do well.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy
    I think if he can play consistent, mistake-free football
    That's pretty much what he did last night. Not a great performance, but he didn't take any sacks and he didn't force the ball. Now let's see if he can continue to do that and if it'll carry over into the regular season...

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard