[Jets] Chrebet: I'm not finished
BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Wayne Chrebet has no intention of retiring after the season.
Expounding on comments he made last week, the Jets' wide receiver said yesterday that he still has "plenty of football left in me."
Asked if he wants to play in 2005, he said: "Oh, without a doubt. I don't think my ability has decreased or anything. I'm not on the field as much as I used to be, and my opportunities have decreased, but I guess at this point in my career, I guess that's what I want to do.
"I love football," he continued. "One-third of my life has been spent in this locker room. This is where I want to be."
The thing is, Chrebet, 31, could be released in the offseason. The Jets want to get bigger and faster at wide receiver. Justin McCareins and Santana Moss will return, rookie Jerricho Cotchery will have a bigger role and they may look to add a free agent.
Chrebet is due to make $1 million in 2005. His status could be determined by March, when he's scheduled to receive a $400,000 roster bonus.
Chrebet, who has a history of concussions, has played in every game, but he has only 29 receptions and one touchdown.
IMPROVEMENT?: Curiously, DE John Abraham (sprained knee) was upgraded to questionable even though Edwards acknowledged that his sack leader won't play against the Rams. Abraham, sidelined for three games, was expected to start running yesterday at practice. He hopes to play next week if the Jets qualify for the playoffs.
HERM GETS HARSH: NT Jason Ferguson, describing Herman Edwards' rousing speech to the team, said the coach didn't pull any punches.
"He was letting us know, 'Believe you're a good team. You better start winning.' He made some threats."
Originally published on December 30, 2004