HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

Story taken from FOXSports.com

The Seattle Seahawks do not have their front office in place yet but they have still managed to lock up the NFL's best tackle to a new massive contract.

FOXSports.com has learned that the Seahawks last night agreed to terms with free-agent-to-be Walter Jones, arguably the NFL's best lineman. The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.
    Jones, who recently played in yet another Pro Bowl, likely would have been designated with the dreaded franchise tag again had the ‘Hawks been unable to lock him up. That number was in the $8.4 million range for one year.

Considering the team has been running its ship with no skipper at the wheel, interim negotiator/team executive Mike Reinfeldt has actually put Seattle in place to secure its top two off-season priorities in Jones and quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

The team has already turned its attention toward getting something done with quarterback Hasselbeck. By getting a deal done with Jones — he is expected to officially sign later today — Seattle now has the luxury of franchising the quarterback. If they can lock up Hasselbeck too then they will have the tag to use on another free agent, such as Pro Bowl RB Shaun Alexander.

In related news, the Seahawks are set to re-interview Dolphins executive Brian Wiedmeier, Falcons personnel man Ron Hill and Cardinals Senior Director of Football Operations Jon Idzik for the president of football operations post.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

The deal spans seven years and includes a signing bonus that exceeds $15 million and includes additional roster bonuses over the first three years. The total package averages more than $7 million per season, putting him on par with the likes of Jonathan Ogden as the highest paid linemen in the NFL.
    Ok Pace, you think you're one of the best in the game and you want to get paid like it....well, here's your parameters big boy. Work within them, not beyond them!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

Great news!

This is the best news the Rams could get from another team in the offseason. It clearly sets the parameters for a deal, and makes it a clear decision on whether the team really wants Pace at that price, and if they offer it, whether he wants to be a Ram. In case of a trade, it also makes clear what a team has to be willing to pay, as opposed to the Poston demands.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Great news!

I'll be very interested to hear the specifics of those deals. You have to assume that Pace is going to ask a little more, but I think it's going to be beneficial to have Jones signed so that both parties (Rams and Pace) know the numbers they need to be shooting for.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramhard is offline Registered User

Why more

I know Pace was the 1st choice, but they are in the same class, Pace has one more Pro Bowl, BUT Jones had a much better season that he did last year:

"He didn't allow a sack in 16 regular-season games and earned his fourth trip to the Pro Bowl."

I don't think Pace can say that.

I say stick with same and leave it like that, this is not a reward for past position. And the multiple franchise tags already has caused the team enough headache.
    So unless it's within a couple of $100,000 I say stick right there.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'll be very interested to hear the specifics of those deals. You have to assume that Pace is going to ask a little more, but I think it's going to be beneficial to have Jones signed so that both parties (Rams and Pace) know the numbers they need to be shooting for.
    Surely Pace realizes that he is (at best) on par with Ogden and Jones. Maybe he wants to be the highest paid, but he better realize he's not going to break the bank around here. I say this is it. He knows what the market is for his talents. If he can't agree to a fair contract, then boot him. We will not franchise him for a 4th year.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

He won't break the bank, but he'd be a fool to not try and get more than Jones, even if it's only a couple hundred thousand here or there. It'll be hard to gauge if he can do it until we get some final numbers better than over $50M total and over $15M bonus.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Chrisbob Guest

Re: Jones expected to re-sign with Seahawks

I agree that from the Rams point of veiw, they now have aq ball park figure to work with on Pace.

Not so good news for the Redskins, who want to restrcuture Chris Samuels deal..........he's going to see this and want his piece of the pie.