Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Judge Nelson rules for players, lockout to be lifted

By Albert Breer NFL.com
    NFL Network Reporter
    Published: April 25, 2011

Judge Susan Nelson Monday granted the plaintiffs' request for an injunction to lift the NFL lockout.

But perhaps the biggest development is that Nelson has decided not to stay the decision, which could force the league to open for business immediately. The NFL now must seek a stay with the Eighth Circuit, where the appeal would be heard, in order to prevent a potentially chaotic beginning to the 2011 league year.

Nelson's decision in the Brady et al v. National Football League et al case comes on the heels of the mediation she appointed going into a nearly-month long recess, with U.S. Magistrate Judge Arthur Boylan making the decision last Wednesday to adjourn the session until May 16.

The league will likely appeal Nelson's decision swiftly, wanting to avoid the beginning of free agency and offseason programs with the potential that, if the Eighth Circuit rules in its favor, the lockout could be reinstituted in the coming weeks or months.

I'm well aware that the owners could just appeal their case to the next court, but does this mean the Rams we'll be looking swiftly in the FA-market and grab someone? This is progress and I'm really hoping the next court can further expose the greed of both parties and find a proper compromise.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Judge Nelson rules for players, lockout to be lifted

This is the "all Hell breaks loose" scenario. While I'm not surprised by the substantive ruling, I would have guessed that a stay would have been granted.

Now, who knows what will happen.

With no antitrust exemption, the league cannot get together and say "no free agent signings will occur," as that would be collusion. That said, will there be a formal start to FA, or a "free for all" as teams act individually?

I have only one prediction: unless the league can get a favorable ruling from the 8th Circuit QUICKLY, I think the chance of the resumed mediation resolving this whole thing may have just increased significantly.

I've now read another article that says Judge Nelson has not yet addressed the issue of a stay. Only one way to be sure... I'll pull the court docket and read the order(s) myself.

Back in a few with the answer!

The order issued today does not address the question of a stay pending appeal. The league will likely seek such a stay immediately from the district court first, and then the appellate court.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Just read this on the espn site..

"JUDGE DENIES NFL's REQUEST TO FREEZE LOCKOUT"

MINNEAPOLIS -- The federal judge who lifted the NFL lockout has denied the league's request to put her ruling on hold.
    U.S. District Judge Susan Richard Nelson wrote late Wednesday that the NFL "has not met its burden for a stay pending appeal, expedited or otherwise."
    The league wanted Nelson to keep the lockout in place while it appeals her ruling, arguing that starting free agency and other football activities before there's clarity on the status of this case could be damaging to the league's competitive balance and general operations.
    Players wrote to the judge earlier Wednesday to argue against the league's request for a stay, contending that a continuation of the lockout harms the NFL as much as it does the players.

Is it looking more and more like the NFL will resume business "as usual?"..

EDIT: Just read she has ordered the league year to begin!
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -04-27-2011 at 10:06 PM.

The league has one more card to play. They will now seek a stay from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.

How will this play out tomorrow?

Hell if I know... there's no meaningful precedent for this!

Just read the order. Judge Nelson provides no guidance as to how the league is supposed to operate in the face of the injunction. She acknowledges that her ruling does not necessarily prohibit the use of FA rules, nor does it require the teams to sign anyone, but provides no meaningful explanation beyond that. The Appellate Court could have a problem with that. Even if it agrees that the injunction was proper, the CA could direct Judge Nelson to provide more specific guidance to the league as to what it can and can't do.

Fettmaster is online now Registered User

I hate this. So apparently, nothing has really changed. The NFL doesn't have to do anything until the 8th circuit court says they have to.