Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Julio Jones Thread

In the past, I've created threads to keep track of draft prospects who were considerations for the Rams' first round pick in their respective class (Glenn Dorsey, Ndamukong Suh).

One of this year's favorite prospects was Julio Jones, so I thought it'd be fun to see how he's doing in the ATL.

Let the Julio news begin!

Re: The Julio Jones Thread

Falcons' Ryan, Jones establishing connection in workouts
    Posted June 18, 2011 @ 5:09 p.m. ET
    By Dan Parr
    Pro Football Weekly

While the lockout is keeping Falcons rookie WR Julio Jones from getting a chance to learn from and interact with Atlanta's coaching staff, the reviews of his performance at player-organized workouts are very positive. Sources say Jones looks way ahead of the game and that QB Matt Ryan has been in his ear often, offering instruction to the Falcons' prized prospect. Jones has been accepting of Ryan's coaching and the two appear to be building a rapport, we hear. The rookie receiver underwent foot surgery to repair a stress fracture in March, but he joined the player workouts in late May after he was cleared to resume running. GM Thomas Dimitroff traded up 21 spots in the first round to land Jones with the sixth overall pick, trading five picks, including two first-rounders, to be in position to select him. Jones is expected to start opposite All-Pro WR Roddy White and could give the Falcons one of the most dynamic receiver duos in the league.
    From a press Q&A with Matt Ryan upon returning to team facilities after the lockout on July 26...

Q: Are you looking forward to working with wide receiver Julio Jones?

A: Absolutely! It says a lot about Julio to kind of take it upon himself this offseason to get here. He was not under contract and it was clearly with no mandatory reason for him to be in the city and working out with us. He’s excited about the opportunity. You guys saw him out there working hard every day. He’s dedicated. He’s a smart guy. He’s picked up things very well. It’s going to be great to have the opportunity to work with him 24 hours a day in the next five, six or seven weeks, whenever we start the regular season. At this point, hopefully he can get his contract done. That is always something that needs to get done when you are rookie. Hopefully, he can take care of that with his agent and our front office. Once that’s done, I’ll be excited to work with him.
    Tweeted today by Evan Silva...

Quote Originally Posted by evansilva
    Tony Gonzalez on Julio Jones: "Runs like a gazelle. The best thing about him is his work ethic. He gets it. ... He's making plays out here."
    10 minutes ago

Julio Jones blasts off in his Falcons’ debut
    11:20 pm August 12, 2011, by Jeff Schultz
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution

We shouldn’t judge football teams based on exhibition games, any more than we should judge paintings based on penciled outlines or architecture based on a stack of wood.

The idea is just not to look bad. A new receiver doesn’t have to make seven catches. But nobody wants to see him look up too late for a pass, have the ball bounce off his head and then run straight into the oversized inflatable mascot in the end zone.

Because that sort of thing can lead a team owner to throw his luxury suite cheeseburger at his general manager.

The Falcons played their first exhibition of 2011 on Friday night against the Miami Dolphins. Curtis Lofton had probably put it best earlier when asked what he hoped to see, saying: “We want to look like we know what we’re doing.”

They did (at least the starters).

But this night was less about the Falcons in general than it was Julio Jones in particular. We only saw him for only three series. That was enough.

He caught a 21-yard pass. He caught a 22-yard pass. He was handed the ball on a reverse and took off for another 12.

This is when Falcons fans must tell themselves, “I know he played for Nick Saban, but I’m OK with that.”

Thomas Dimitroff, the general manager, traded a boatload of draft picks for Jones. He sent two first-rounders, a second and two fourths to Cleveland so the Falcons could slide up 21 spots and grab Jones.

Some screamed, “No!”

Soon, you’ll scream for other reasons.

Jones’ early fireworks Friday night suggest that his No. 11 jersey is destined to become a hot item, and he’ll become one of the team’s most popular players.

He can be that special. Quarterback Matt Ryan targeted him on the first two plays from scrimmage, but threw behind him on both occasions. But on the second possession, a third-and-3 play from the Miami 35, he stepped away from the rush and threw short to Jones underneath.

Then it was like somebody pushed the turbo button. Jones took off for a 21-yard gain, eventually setting up a 2-yard touchdown by Michael Turner.

When asked later about his first catch, Jones said: “I was going to score. I wasn’t running too fast because I was trying to set up a block, but the defender never came down. So I just got what I could.”

You weren’t running fast?

“No, I wasn’t.”

Coach Mike Smith sent Ryan and Jones back out for a third possession, and opening night became the Julio Jones Show. On a difficult second-and-12 from the Falcons’ 15, Ryan stepped back and found Jones wide open over the middle for 22 yards. On the next play, the rookie took a handoff from Ryan on a reverse and gained 12 yards. Soon it was 14-0.

Jones on the reverse: “I did OK. I could’ve done better.”

I think I like this kid.

The last time we saw the Falcons, they were rolled by the Green Bay Packers 48-21 in a home playoff game. The initial thought most had was that this team needed help on defense. But more than anything, they needed a game-changer, and Jones can be that.

As important as defense is in the NFL, the past two Super Bowl winners, New Orleans and Green Bay, both had explosive offenses. For that matter, even Pittsburgh the year before could throw it deep (before Ben Roethlisberger morphed into mutant frat boy.)

The Falcons are anxious to use this preseason to find out what this bunch can do. The addition of Jones, the return of wide receiver Harry Douglas — now two years removed from a major knee injury — and the drafting of running back Jacquizz Rodgers gives the offense the potential for pyrotechnics that we haven’t seen in some time, if ever.

Dimitroff was careful not to attach too much significance to Friday’s exhibition, saying, “The preseason to me is just a little more than a practice setting. It’s a little more live, a little more real. But you can’t get too up or down about it.”

That had to be difficult Friday. Jones had everybody up.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

He is who we thought he was!

Still too much to give up for a wide receiver, especially when your defense gave up 48 in their biggest game of the year.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

heheh, I originally wanted him until I found out that his skillsets fit mainly on a WCO or smashmouth offense. Best of luck for him with the Falcons though, they've made quite an investment getting him at number 6.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I thought they did a great job getting him off to a fast start.. I think he was the target 5 or 6 times early. The first play of the game they went to him. He looks very fast!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I don't care how good he is. No one player is worth that price tag.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

The idea is just not to look bad. A new receiver doesn’t have to make seven catches. But nobody wants to see him look up too late for a pass, have the ball bounce off his head and then run straight into the oversized inflatable mascot in the end zone.
    Thanks for the visual "pick-me-up" . needed a laugh, its hot today.