Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Just when we start to praise Kurt for a good start to the season...

FORGET KOMEBACK KURT — GIVE ELI THE BALL

November 8, 2004 --

IT is time to get Eli Manning up in the bullpen. Get him ready, Tom Coughlin. The bloom came off Kurt Warner's rose yesterday.

Warner (two fumbles, two interceptions, seven sacks) gave the 5-3 Giants, disgraceful 28-21 losers to the Bears, absolutely no chance to win. You can round up plenty of suspects, and Coughlin will, but the most ominous development was Warner looking very much like the quarterback chased out of St. Louis by Mike Martz.

It was Warner who was chewed up by the teeth of Lovie Smith's carnivorous blitz and left wounded by a bloody Bear trap. The Eagles are three weeks away and if Warner staggers around the lot like some punch-drunk club fighter next Sunday in Arizona, Coughlin should not be afraid to give The Kid his NFL baptism under fire.

After what he witnessed yesterday, after what we have seen in Pittsburgh from wunderkind Ben Roethlisberger, the temptation soon may become irresistible to get on with The Greening of Eli.

Because of Manning's unique pedigree, the only thing Coughlin has to fear is fear itself. If Warner doesn't quickly find the magic wand he brought with him over the first month of the season, there would be no better way to give his team a spark. For all the talk about Komeback Kurt, remember that he has thrown only five TD passes for the season.

Coughlin admitted he considered yanking Warner in the second half, but opted to give Komeback Kurt a chance to redeem himself. But with 1:56 left, from his own 40 following an onsides kick recovery, Warner was sacked on successive plays and a fourth-and-20 prayer for Jeremy Shockey had no chance.

Coughlin, too smart to leave Warner twisting in the wind and ignite a tabloid feeding frenzy, made it clear that Warner will start next week. But he'd be wise to start giving Manning reps with the first team immediately.

The word from Eager Eli: I'm ready.

"I get more comfortable every week," Eager Eli said. "If I were to get in there, I could run the offense."

What makes you think you're ready?

"Just being mentally prepared. That's the only thing I have to base it on."

No one, however, knows better than Eager Eli — son of Archie, brother of Peyton — that it would be anathema were he to lobby for the ball.

So meet Diplomatic Eli.

"Right now he puts the team in the best position to win. You gotta stick with your guy."

And: "He's a veteran and been around and has won a lot of games. That's football. You can't win every game, you can't play perfect every game."

And: "You never want to create a controversy or a problem between your teammates and especially another quarterback. You gotta look out for the team."

He smiled when someone asked if he had ever been asked so many questions in a game where he didn't play.

"No, I think it's a record."

There were the predictable Roethlisberger questions for him.

"You can't put yourself in someone else's shoes. We're under different situations, different teams, different players . . . I gotta make the best of my situation."

Does Big Ben's success put more pressure on him?

"I think there's enough pressure on you just being a quarterback and playing this game where you don't look at other people's success or failures in any way."

Warner, who also threw one hospital ball that almost got Amani Toomer killed, is a bad loser who beat himself up. "My mistakes cost us a football game," he said.

But, he hasn't lost veteran support.

"Kurt is our quarterback," Tiki Barber said. "He's our leader. He's the guy that's gonna take us where we need to go."

But for how long?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just when we start to praise Kurt for a good start to the season...

Given that I posted this last week, I guess I'm not surprised that this is being discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    What will be interesting is how long Warner continues to be the starter. Given that the running game is working and the defense is playing well, the Giants may conclude that this is the ideal time to start working in Eli Manning. I doubt they'll do it while the team continues to win, but if they lose a couple, they might make the switch.

I didn't see the game, but personally I think it's a bit early for the Giants, their fans, and surrounding media to jump onto the Eli bandwagon. Everyone's going to have bad games, but Warner has been pretty efficient thus far in the season, and he was going against his old defensive coordinator who probably knew all his tendencies by heart.

However, if you're going to work Manning in, I'd do it before the Giants face Phily three weeks from now. See how Warner does against the Cardinals, and then go from there. If I'm New York, the last team I want Eli seeing his first start against is the Eagles.

Kane Guest

First and foremost, one bad game doesn't negate everything that has gone before.

7 sacks, was part of the statistic quoted. So those are Kurt's fault, are they? I thoughthe Offensive Line was supposed to do some blocking! Presumably it is entirely Marc Bulger's fault that he got sacked so often by the Patriots on Sunday?

2 interceptions = a bad game for Kurt. Again, I believe Tom Brady threw two the previous week.

Kur Warner had no turnovers the previous week.

Get off his case.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Can't believe we are discussing this again *LOL*

How did Bly play this week? Or did you see Az had over a 100 yards again. London has been an animal in Buffalo.

Nobody's on his case. My prediction was based upon what I believed the Giants would do given how much they have invested in Eli Manning.

I think Warner's done a very good job at demonstrating that he is a viable NFL starter again. I'm sure he'll get some attention in the offseason as a free agent, and I could easily see him as the full time starter next year for a team like Dallas or Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    First and foremost, one bad game doesn't negate everything that has gone before.

7 sacks, was part of the statistic quoted. So those are Kurt's fault, are they? I thoughthe Offensive Line was supposed to do some blocking! Presumably it is entirely Marc Bulger's fault that he got sacked so often by the Patriots on Sunday?

2 interceptions = a bad game for Kurt. Again, I believe Tom Brady threw two the previous week.

Get off his case.
    1) I think I made that exact point in my response to the article.

2) Warner's only responsible for the coverage sacks. As I said, I didn't see the game, so I don't know how many if any were made.

3) Two interceptions is a bad day for Kurt when you consider how many INTs and TDs he's had coming into this game, yes.

4) And he should be praised for that. In fact, a lot of us have praised Kurt over the last few weeks.

5) Who's on his case besides the author?

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Can't believe we are discussing this again
    Why? It's a forum for General NFL Talk. If you don't want to talk about Kurt, don't respond. It's not like we're constantly bringing him up in Rams threads. It's in the forum devoted for non-Rams NFL talk. Not seeing the problem here.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Didn't say it was a problem Nick! Just find it very humorous. The guy gets way too much attention I think. You all can have your opinion and I can have mine. Can't I??

I like Kurt and all, but I have moved on. We have Marc now. I just wish people could see how important it was to have people on the team like Fletcher, Bly and Az. That is the stuff we are missing right now, not the Kurt Warners of the world. We are in the position we are right now because of missing other key components and that is not the quarterback position.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Why? It's a forum for General NFL Talk. If you don't want to talk about Kurt, don't respond. It's not like we're constantly bringing him up in Rams threads. It's in the forum devoted for non-Rams NFL talk. Not seeing the problem here.

Didn't say it was a problem Nick!
    Sorry then, I misunderstood your post.

I like Kurt and all, but I have moved on.
    I'd say I've moved on too, but I like to keep up with what he's doing.

I just wish people could see how important it was to have people on the team like Fletcher, Bly and Az. That is the stuff we are missing right now, not the Kurt Warners of the world. We are in the position we are right now because of missing other key components and that is not the quarterback position.
    Agreed 100%. Great point, Wraith.

lakerams Guest

some of us just like to see a guy who was supposedly finished have success again. it is an inspiring story and encourages others to continue on when things look down. I don't think that an occassional inspirational story is out of the question, it just happens to be that it's Kurt Warner.

as a note to the topic, 1 INT was off of Toomer's hands. that's hardly Warner's fault.

I think he is doing a good job and I personally am glad to see him having success again. remember, he is still learning the offensive playbook. unfortunately, he will have to learn a new one next year.

I personally think he will end up in Washington. they already mentioned they would have taken him if they knew for sure the Rams were going to release him before the signed Brunell. Washington would be a great fit. they have serviceable wide receivers and a stud running back. plus, Gibbs likes verteran players.

thoey is offline Registered User

That is the stuff we are missing right now, not the Kurt Warners of the world
    See, I guess that's where a bunch of us see it as different. You see the "Kurt Warners" of the world being like the Trent Dilfer's, and some of see him as the guy who lead us to the Super Bowl. I didn't say he got it for us, but he led us there...

Maybe you should learn like I have. If you can't say anything nice, don't post...
    This space for rent...

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Anybody else getting annoyed by seeing the Giants games televised here in St. Louis week after week? I mean I wish Kurt well but the Giants games aren't the most exciting games of the week. Not at all.

theodus69 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kane

Get off his case.
    Amen..... Bulger is just the Saint ain't he.Your killing me Smalls :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    Amen..... Bulger is just the Saint ain't he.Your killing me Smalls :tongue:
    How did Bulger get in this discussion?

moklerman Guest

Isn't it nice that I get to watch the two worst offensive lines in football every week? Between the Rams and Giants it's getting very nerve racking to watch a pass play called.

Just for the curious, Tom Coughlin stated that out of the 7 sacks, 4 were on the o-line, 1 was on a rb and 2 were on Warner. I say: the first interception was a tipped ball by Toomer. He was running a down and in, beat the cb and was leveled by a safety who was sitting on the play. The second interception was a miscommunication between Shockey and Warner. Shockey appeared to be a little slow on the blitz read and never got his head around, as commented by the ex-player, color-man working the game, but who's to say who read what correctly? Give that one to Warner. The first fumble was all on Warner. He broke left, out of the pocket and was running parallel to the line of scrimmage, looking for a receiver. Unfortunately, he was holding the ball low and unprotected(sound familar?) while running and got blindsided and stripped from behind. The second fumble could have just as easily been an interception. Warner was manuevering within a collapsing pocket and stepped up and was throwing the ball when a defender hit his arm, mid-motion and the ball popped up in the air and right into the arms of one of the d-lineman. I wouldn't put that one down as a mistake by Warner, just one of the bi-products of a bad line.

Just to continue the "almost td" theme that I started in a different thread recently, Warner had 2(or was it 3?) more 1 yard line plays. A pass over the middle to a wide open Shockey resulted in the ball being spotted on the 1-yardline. Later, a pass to Hilliard that he took into the endzone on a dive was ruled(correctly) that his knee hit when the ball was at the 1. I think there was one more but I'm getting frusturated by the frequency and number of times these things are happening. Add to that, two plays before the first fumble, Tiki scored a td that was called back on a questionable holding call. Warner wound up making the mistake but it's another "coulda been" in a manner of speaking.

It just goes to show that the NFL is a game of inches. Warner was "that close" to having 3 td's yesterday and a pretty good game. In the end, he's just looking "snake-bit" and mistake prone. Between Ferragamo, Everett and Warner (1, 3 and 2 on my all-time favorite players list) I feel like C-3PO from Star Wars, who said: "It's my lot in life to suffer". I sometimes wonder what life would be like to be a Favre or Montana or Manning fan. A long, consistent, productive career hasn't ever really happened for a Rams qb. Everett was close, but talk about one of the most infamous qb's ever! Ouch.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast