Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Justin Blackmon pleads guilty to drunken driving

From the AP...

Justin Blackmon pleads guilty
    Updated: July 24, 2012, 1:02 PM ET
    Associated Press

STILLWATER, Okla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon, the fifth overall pick in April's draft, has pleaded guilty to drunken driving in Oklahoma in a deal that avoids jail time.

Defense attorney Cheryl Ramsey entered the plea for Blackmon during a hearing Tuesday that he did not attend.

Police arrested Blackmon during a traffic stop in Stillwater, Okla., on June 3. Authorities said a breath test showed his blood-alcohol content to be three times the legal limit.

Special Judge Michael Stano imposed a deferred sentence of one year, meaning Blackmon will serve no jail time if he fulfills the terms of his sentence. Blackmon was fined $500 and ordered to complete 50 hours of community service.

Blackmon, a former Oklahoma State star, has apologized and says he'll abstain from alcohol use for now.

Quoting Vito Stellino (Jags beat writer) on Twitter...

Blackmon will now likely enter the league;s substance abuse program. the team's first round pick is also unsigned.
    Blackmon not allowed to report to training camp, which opens Thursday, until he signs. Jags want protection if he has more problems.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Justin Blackmon pleads guilty to drunken driving

The Jags must really be going for a low ball number. The Rams with Jenkins contract was said to have verbiage that would protect the Rams. Blackmon really messed up as he is still unsigned. I can only wonder how much money he cost himself.

Will he miss games?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The more I look at the situation Blackmon got himself into, the more I see a guy who for whatever reason, can't control his actions. That's not good. It's bad enough that he is now a two-time loser on the drunk driving front, but to have it happen right before negotiating his first NFL contract is just assinine. He's damn lucky he's not going to jail, because the average second offender wouldn't be so fortunate.

I doesn't look he'll face any league suspensions, but he's now at the top of the watchlist. All his "get out of jail free" cards are gone.

Brian McIntyre of NFL.com summarized my thoughts on this situation rather well...

As for the Jaguars, they have every right to protect their interests, but at some point they need to get Blackmon into the fold. The club moved up in the draft to select Blackmon, who didn't exactly have a spotless off-field track record to begin with. So if the Jaguars are forced to cut Blackmon down the line, he clears waivers and is able to double-dip, general manager Gene Smith may not be around in 2015 to tell ownership how he saved the team nearly $3 million in base salary by securing "offset" language in the contract. With Maurice Jones-Drew a legitimate camp holdout, the Jaguars can't afford to not have their two best offensive weapons on the field during Mike Mularkey's first camp.
    There is speculation that the Jaguars want to include language in the contract that would negate guarantees in the deal if Blackmon gets in trouble again, which would be further than the Rams went with Jenkins and, IMO, a bit extreme. The Rams' deal with Jenkins simply included a number of non-guaranteed roster bonuses through the length of the contract; I don't know why that wouldn't work in this situation as protection for the Jags.

There was a report in mid-July that the Jaguars and Blackmon's agent hadn't really seriously talked about the contract at that time, so given the complexity of the deal in light of his arrest, it's no wonder it's dragging out. Really, they should have been working on this well in advance, especially with the special circumstances.

I don't think he'll miss any regular season games. With MJD holding out (amazing that the Jags are at odds with two of their top weapons), they need to get people into the fold sooner rather than later if they want to maximize what they're able to do in 2012. I think the odds are better that the Blackmon contract gets resolved before the MJD situation does. But with contract issues, you really never know.

The Jags have been so snake bitten with rookie WRs and DUI and such in the past they REALLY could not afford to draft anymore players with off field issues. That being said I think the DUI with Blackmon was a real deep cut. Blackmon said all the right things and then made a poor decision.

I would think the Jags don't trust Blackmon and are not going to sign him until they have a contract that reduces their risk.

The down side for both the team and Blackmon is... he's missing valuable practice time. There where reports he looked lost at times during OTA's and he is falling further behind everyday.

So what do the Jags do? Bite the bullet and sign him to a deal that leaves them exposed? If Blackmon misses too much time he may not recover this year and have a poor rookie campaign.

I agree Nick they should have been working this weeks ago, like six weeks ago.

I think the Rams IMO (guessing) made the choice to sign Jenkins to a deal that was not as restricted as they wanted. I'm glad the Rams got it done, it's a no win situation for the team, everyday you don't have the rookie in camp, it's more likely he will be less productive in his rookie year. I think the Jags would have been better off if this happened after he was signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    So what do the Jags do? Bite the bullet and sign him to a deal that leaves them exposed?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting that, but there are pretty standard and acceptable ways of protecting oneself in this instance. One example would be the non-guaranteed roster bonuses, like what the Rams and Jenkins did.

The question becomes how badly these two sides want to resolve this. How stubborn are the Jags? Will they only accept their specific plan for "protecting themselves" or are they open to other contract configurations? Is Blackmon's agent scoffing at the idea that protections should even be included in the deal? All details we don't really know.

Ultimately, Blackmon won't be facing jail time and he won't be suspended by the league. While the Jags have been snakebitten in the past with wide receivers, I think they need to maintain perspective and be willing to settle for something that might not be every protection they want but some protections none the less (and Blackmon's agent needs to realize asking for protections is justifiable, if that's part of the hold up as well). As you said, the longer he misses camp, the more impact it's going to have on his effectiveness this season. I mean, he's already behind the eight ball with Gabbert throwing to him! *zing*

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think the Jags would have been better off if this happened after he was signed.
    Well, then he'd be signed and they wouldn't have this negotiation to worry about, true. But then they also wouldn't have protections built into the contract, which I'm sure wouldn't make them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Well, then he'd be signed and they wouldn't have this negotiation to worry about, true. But then they also wouldn't have protections built into the contract, which I'm sure wouldn't make them happy.
    Yeah your right, the Jags just seem to be in a no win situation with Blackmon until he starts producing in games. Until then they are going to be unhappy.

I would like to see the deal get done so Balckmon can have a realistic shot at a good rookie year.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

He is also missing valuable training camp and practice time. So glad we didn't draft him. I knew he wasn't the right way to go