Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

K Warner - no matter what great guy

From Peter King's Monday Morning QB column:

Good Guy of the Week

Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner.

Karen Crouse of the New York Times wrote a good feature on Warner in last Friday's paper, with a prescient story as the lead. Seems that Warner, wife, Brenda, and one or more of the Warner children have a practice the night before football games. They sit at their table in a restaurant, look over the dining room, and pick out one family. Warner then informs the wait staff that, anonymously, he'd like the dinner tab of that family of strangers added to his.

Crouse wrote the Warners have been doing this for several years "as a way of instilling in their children the joy of giving,'' and quoted Warner thusly: "We want our kids to grow up knowing that because of football we are so blessed.''

Just another reason why you can never say enough good things about Kurt Warner.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

No offense to Kurt, but if someone did that to me, I'd say "keep your money, I can pay for my own dinner."

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

Avenger, that's harsh. Maybe you should say "what a guy" or something like that. I would accept his generosity and thank him. He's a strong Christian and is showing his kids good examples of sharing/giving to others. I wish he was still with us- he's still a heck of an accurate passer. Anyway, show some respect to one of the greatest qbs in history.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

There is an old saying that the truest form of charity is that in which neither the donor nor the recipient knows the other's identity.

Charity in which the donor, the recipient, and Peter King are all aware of the parties involved does not impress me. Millionaires buying $60.00 dinners for someone who can pay for it him or herself does little to impress me.

Kurt does a lot of good things with his wealth and fame. This example, in my opinion, in not all that impressive.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No offense to Kurt, but if someone did that to me, I'd say "keep your money, I can pay for my own dinner."
    AV, the article says "anonymously". I can't see where the family is even aware that Warner's family picked up the tab. Nor does he "know" who he is helping.
    I think it is a pretty nice lesson to teach his kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris58 View Post
    AV, the article says "anonymously". I can't see where the family is even aware that Warner's family picked up the tab. Nor does he "know" who he is helping.
    I think it is a pretty nice lesson to teach his kids.
    If its so anonymous, how does Peter King know about it?

As for the lesson... I don't see it. Treating a random family as a charity case isn't noble, its showing off. And what about the lesson to the kids of the person who's having his bill paid? Is the lesson "we're inferior to rich, famous, athletes?"
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-29-2008 at 03:32 PM.

atcchris is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard View Post
    From Peter King's Monday Morning QB column:

Good Guy of the Week

Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner.

Karen Crouse of the New York Times wrote a good feature on Warner in last Friday's paper, with a prescient story as the lead. Seems that Warner, wife, Brenda, and one or more of the Warner children have a practice the night before football games. They sit at their table in a restaurant, look over the dining room, and pick out one family. Warner then informs the wait staff that, anonymously, he'd like the dinner tab of that family of strangers added to his.

Crouse wrote the Warners have been doing this for several years "as a way of instilling in their children the joy of giving,'' and quoted Warner thusly: "We want our kids to grow up knowing that because of football we are so blessed.''

Just another reason why you can never say enough good things about Kurt Warner.
    Thanks for that note. Some of us can really appreciate random acts of kindness in this world full of random acts of violence and intolerance.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I dunno, Av.

It seems that if Warner truly did this anonymously then the recipient of the act would simply be told that their tab had been taken care of by another patron who wished to remain anonymous.

Thus it would be unknown to the recipient that it was a "rich, famous athlete" and I don't think I would think of it as a charity, rather someone wanting to share, in a small way, the success which God had rewarded him with.

I would be quite appreciative of the fact somebody had paid my tab for me. Now if they had asked if they could pay it I would no doubt refuse the offer, but if it was simply stated that it was already taken care of then I would at least leave a generous tip. If the gratuity had already been covered also then that means the waitstaff shared in the generosity also by being tipped twice for the same meal.

I have yet to hear of any stories about Warner which are negative, although Kurt being human I would not doubt there are. All we can do is strive to improve daily.

I hope God continues to bless Kurt and his family.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I can just see AV getting into a fist fight and throwing a fit with the manager because someone offered to cover his tab. How heavy is that chip on your shoulder, anyway?

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Besides, this is a lot like "Paying it forward." You do something nice for someone, they do something nice for someone else, and so on, and so on. So the real issue I guess for you Av is that you don't want anyone to do something nice for you. Fine. But don't put others down for trying to do, or accept, something nice. If each and every person on this forum went out and did something nice for someone, regardless of what it is, today, how much of a better world would we be in? Random acts of kindness came make a huge difference.

atcchris is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I can just see AV getting into a fist fight and throwing a fit with the manager because someone offered to cover his tab. How heavy is that chip on your shoulder, anyway?
    He ain't heavy... he's my brother!

I have yet to see an answer to my question... if its so anonymous, how does Peter King know about it?

Thanks, Kurt. But I can pay my own tab. If you want to donate the money to someone who needs it, please do so. Otherwise, I don't need to read about what a great guy you are for paying a dinner bill that represents .0000000000000001% of your income.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I have yet to see an answer to my question... if its so anonymous, how does Peter King know about it?
    it's anonymous to the people at the restaurant that are getting the free dinner. Warner was using it as an example of how he's trying to instill in his own kids the joy of giving. Telling a female reporter of a newspaper that King picked up on later. It's all in the article. I'm sure it was just Warner being sneaky because he would get....what, exactly?
    Thanks, Kurt. But I can pay my own tab. If you want to donate the money to someone who needs it, please do so. Otherwise, I don't need to read about what a great guy you are for paying a dinner bill that represents .0000000000000001% of your income.
    Look, I know you're just playing the equivalent of a talk radio host, picking some issue and going so far to one side of the opinion that people feel compelled to respond because they're giving you credit for not being the total idiot that your response would warrant.

So, while you probably already know this, Warner already does donate 10% of his paycheck as well as numerous other acts like aiding disaster victims in Iowa, visiting troops in the middle east, coats for kids each Christmas, visiting sick children at hospitals, etc. You are very transparent and/or shallow in this AV. Quit while you're behind. It's a sad ploy for interaction and even sadder if you mean it.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Look, I know you're just playing the equivalent of a talk radio host, picking some issue and going so far to one side of the opinion that people feel compelled to respond because they're giving you credit for not being the total idiot that your response would warrant.
    Hmm. AvengerOlbermann.........it has a ring to it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    it's anonymous to the people at the restaurant that are getting the free dinner. Warner was using it as an example of how he's trying to instill in his own kids the joy of giving. Telling a female reporter of a newspaper that King picked up on later. It's all in the article. I'm sure it was just Warner being sneaky because he would get....what, exactly?

So, while you probably already know this, Warner already does donate 10% of his paycheck as well as numerous other acts like aiding disaster victims in Iowa, visiting troops in the middle east, coats for kids each Christmas, visiting sick children at hospitals, etc. You are very transparent and/or shallow in this AV. Quit while you're behind. It's a sad ploy for interaction and even sadder if you mean it.
    well put,AV, I'm surprised at your response to this,to answer your question about Peter King,Who the hell cares how Peter King Found out,it's still a nice lesson for his kids and maybe you can pay your own tab but it may have been a big help for the family they selected.it'a a nice thing to do and should be left at that.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast