Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
Results 106 to 119 of 119
  1. #106
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,593
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by mok
    It's simple, really. Was Bulger playing as well as he has shown himself capable of playing? I think that's an obvious "no". Whether his heart wasn't in it, he'd lost his confidence or whatever, he wasn't performing to the best of his ability and with his apparent disdain of Linehan it wasn't a far-fetched idea to consider he was intentionally not all there.
    Swap Bulger with Warner. Swap Linehan with Martz.

    So you're saying it isn't far fetched to consider Warner was intentionally not all there in '02 and '03?

    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  2. #107
    moklerman's Avatar
    moklerman is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,597
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    So you're saying it isn't far fetched to consider Warner was intentionally not all there in '02 and '03?
    No, because Warner was dealing with broken bones in his throwing hand for a portion of those 8 games, Martz was calling 70%+ pass plays, not taking scoring opportunities and overall not coaching the way that he had coached when the team was successful.

    Warner played 3 games then broke his hand in 2002. Came back later that year and played in 1 game and then broke his hand again and tried to play injured vs. Philly. In essence, he had 6 total games that were sporadically placed between 2002-2003 and he was cut loose. 6 games after winning the league MVP and having the Rams tied in the Super Bowl when he last had the ball, the Rams cut him loose.

    Not that Bulger has equaled anything Warner has done for the Rams but he's had 3 times the length of struggles that Warner was given and Bulger's now on his 4th head coach. I thought Vick was bad for a coach's future.

    I'm just not on board with excusing a QB that has been given every opportunity, virtually uncontested and unaccountable, paid huge money and then playing the worst football of his career for over a year and then allegedly quitting on his coach(is Jackson or Bulger lying?).

    Warner was put in a no win situation and Bulger has been catered to. When Warner struggled with injuries he was replaced. When Bulger struggled to produce, his coach was fired. Twice.

    Warner never quit and there's never been any question that he wanted to be on the field. The same can't be said about Bulger.

  3. #108
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    One day last week I wrote Karen Crouse, the NY Times author of the original story, and asked her, "How did you find out about Warner's family habit of buying dinners for people? If from Warner, how did this subject come up?" Wasn't expecting a reply, but today this arrived in my inbox:

    Thanks for taking the time to write. I went to Virginia intending to do a Warner-Leinart story. I had no idea his kids traveled to away games, I didn't expect to find his wife there. Then I sort of happened upon a couple exchanges with Kurt, his kids and his wife -- I'm not sure they even knew I was in the lobby because I wasn't making my presence obvious -- and then another person not affiliated with the family told me the meal story and I asked both Brenda and Kurt about that. I really don't think Kurt really cares how he is perceived by the public, to tell you the truth. I think he is just living his life the best way he knows how.
    Cheers
    Karen

  4. #109
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,465
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    One day last week I wrote Karen Crouse, the NY Times author of the original story, and asked her, "How did you find out about Warner's family habit of buying dinners for people? If from Warner, how did this subject come up?" Wasn't expecting a reply, but today this arrived in my inbox:

    "Thanks for taking the time to write. I went to Virginia intending to do a Warner-Leinart story. I had no idea his kids traveled to away games, I didn't expect to find his wife there. Then I sort of happened upon a couple exchanges with Kurt, his kids and his wife -- I'm not sure they even knew I was in the lobby because I wasn't making my presence obvious -- and then another person not affiliated with the family told me the meal story and I asked both Brenda and Kurt about that. I really don't think Kurt really cares how he is perceived by the public, to tell you the truth. I think he is just living his life the best way he knows how.
    Cheers
    Karen"
    Wow, nice work Josh! Rep points definitely coming your way. So the truth is Warner DID NOT tell the reporter about his family's charitable practice and was obviously NOT trying to bring attention to himself. He only discussed it AFTER Karen Crouse was told by a third party about the meal story.

    Imagine that.

  5. #110
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,259
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Wow, nice work Josh! Rep points definitely coming your way. So the truth is Warner DID NOT tell the reporter about his family's charitable practice and was obviously NOT trying to bring attention to himself. He only discussed it AFTER Karen Crouse was told by a third party about the meal story.

    Imagine that.

    Wow. Sarcasm?!?

    Careful, that might get misconstrued into another 100+ post thread!
    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  6. #111
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,628
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    I'm guessing that, if you indeed did have an exchange with the reporter, you have not provided the full exchange.

    Besides, even if you provided the entire exchange, it changes nothing. Mike's interpretation of the "email' is simply wrong. The article itself quotes Kurt at length about buying dinner. So, he obviously DID tell the reporter about it. Otherwise she made up the quotes. I don't care if Kurt brought it up, or if it was brought up by someone else. When he discusses it at length with a reporter, he's doing it because he wants/likes the publicity.

    The notion that Kurt "does not care how he is perceived by the public" is pretty humorous, though.

    I grew bored with this topic a long time ago. My opinion remains the same. To sum it up. in my opinion (1) what Kurt is doing is no great deed, and (2) he gets a disproportionate amount of press about his charitable acts, largely because he is very public about his beliefs and his actions. None of that makes him a bad person. But I don't buy into the St. Kurt persona that some here have placed upon him.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-17-2008 at 09:37 AM.

  7. #112
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,259
    Rep Power
    51

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    The notion that Kurt "does not care how he is perceived by the public" is pretty humorous, though.
    I would tend to agree, to a point here, AV. Of course Kurt 'cares' how he is perceived.

    Kurt is a high profile personality and is using that notoriety(grasping for metaphors) to further his other works, and if he is indeed sincere about his faith then he is looking to please his God and part of that is by helping others and sharing part of what his God has given him. Kurt must feel that buying the occasional meal for other people (not knowing how well the other people can afford it themselves) would fall under the category of a 'random act of kindness' with no ulterior motive involved.



    I grew bored with this topic a long time ago. My opinion remains the same. To sum it up. in my opinion (1) what Kurt is doing is no great deed, and (2) he gets a disproportionate amount of press about his charitable acts, largely because he is very public about his beliefs and his actions. None of that makes him a bad person. But I don't buy into the St. Kurt persona that some here have placed upon him.
    I believe that while buying a meal may not be a great deed, it is a nice, well intentioned gesture that the vast majority would appreciate. Does Kurt get a disproportionate amount of press? Compared to whom? Ever since Kurt came into the league he has been part of a 'feel good story' or the recipient of some bad breaks (no pun intended) and is now realizing some measure of resurgence and he seems to be a genuinely well-intentioned and nice guy.

    Was the e-mail legit and not fabricated? I have no idea. But there are a lot of us who believe there are still genuinely nice guys around.

    Is Kurt a Saint? No, I don't believe so, but I cannot help but like the man.
    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  8. #113
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,628
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Does Kurt get a disproportionate amount of press? Compared to whom?
    How about Drew Brees? (just as an example, as there are many)

    Did you know that Drew Brees was a co-recipient of the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award in 2006? Look up his charitable activities. Its an impressive list. But, had I not just researched it, I wouldn't have known about his activities. They were not reported in the New York Times.

  9. #114
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm guessing that, if you indeed did have an exchange with the reporter, you have not provided the full exchange.

    Besides, even if you provided the entire exchange, it changes nothing. Mike's interpretation of the "email' is simply wrong. The article itself quotes Kurt at length about buying dinner. So, he obviously DID tell the reporter about it. Otherwise she made up the quotes. I don't care if Kurt brought it up, or if it was brought up by someone else. When he discusses it at length with a reporter, he's doing it because he wants/likes the publicity.

    The notion that Kurt "does not care how he is perceived by the public" is pretty humorous, though.

    I grew bored with this topic a long time ago. My opinion remains the same. To sum it up. in my opinion (1) what Kurt is doing is no great deed, and (2) he gets a disproportionate amount of press about his charitable acts, largely because he is very public about his beliefs and his actions. None of that makes him a bad person. But I don't buy into the St. Kurt persona that some here have placed upon him.
    DELETED CONTENT I emailed her once (it had a brief intro, then my question above), and she wrote me back once the email I quoted above. The reporter was eavesdropping/snooping around and found out about it, then asked Kurt about it. What's he supposed to do, lie and say i have no Idea what you're talking about? Should he just refuse to answer any questions about it? If Kurt had sought out a reporter and told them about his meal buying I would agree he was attention seeking, but since it all came out and went down the way it did, I really don't see that that is the case here.

    If you're so bored, take you're own advice, and quit reading/replying to this thread.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-17-2008 at 01:14 PM.

  10. #115
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,465
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Besides, even if you provided the entire exchange, it changes nothing. Mike's interpretation of the "email' is simply wrong. The article itself quotes Kurt at length about buying dinner. So, he obviously DID tell the reporter about it. Otherwise she made up the quotes. I don't care if Kurt brought it up, or if it was brought up by someone else. When he discusses it at length with a reporter, he's doing it because he wants/likes the publicity.
    Too funny, especially after you argued so vehemently that Warner, in an effort to get publicity for himself, made a conscious effort to bring up the story to the reporter. Looks like you got that one dead wrong.

    He talked to Crouse about it A-F-T-E-R she found out the story from someone else. Sorry, but that's NOT seekeing publicity, no matter how you want to spin it.

    Why did I know you would respond to Josh's post and not accept the reality of the situation even when presented with the actual facts?? You're repressed disdain for Warner continues to come shining through.

  11. #116
    RamFan_Til_I_Die's Avatar
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,152
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    LOL Avenger deleting me calling him an donkey, but leaving in his post where he calls me a liar is priceless. CONTENT DELETED
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-17-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Everybody just take a step back for a second.

  12. #117
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,593
    Rep Power
    145

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    LOL Avenger deleting me calling him an donkey, but leaving in his post where he calls me a liar is priceless. CONTENT DELETED
    I don't think he is calling you a liar, rftid. He, as is anyone reading it, is simply acknowledging the assumption of veracity in this (or any other) post.

    Let's all just keep the subject to Warner, and not each other. Allrighty?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  13. #118
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,628
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Too funny, especially after you argued so vehemently that Warner, in an effort to get publicity for himself, made a conscious effort to bring up the story to the reporter. Looks like you got that one dead wrong.
    No, if you look at my posts, I repeatedly stated that I didn't know how it came up. My point was that he didn't need to make such a big deal about it when it was brought up.
    He talked to Crouse about it A-F-T-E-R she found out the story from someone else. Sorry, but that's NOT seekeing publicity, no matter how you want to spin it.
    Sure it is. If he was exercising humility, he could have said "oh, that's no big deal" and moved on to another question.

    Why did I know you would respond to Josh's post and not accept the reality of the situation even when presented with the actual facts?? You're repressed disdain for Warner continues to come shining through.
    The exchange posted does not ring true to me. It appears that a more detailed question would have prompted the answer quoted here. So, RFTID, I am not calling you a liar. I am suggesting that, assuming that what you received is actually from the author of the ariticle, you quoted selectively by not providing the full content of the question posed.

    Either way, even if taken at face value, what RFTID posted changes nothing. My opinion that Kurt took an opportunity to get a little positive publicity for himself is unchanged.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-17-2008 at 02:36 PM.

  14. #119
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,465
    Rep Power
    128

    Re: K Warner - no matter what great guy

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Either way, even if taken at face value, what RFTID posted changes nothing. My opinion that Kurt took an opportunity to get a little positive publicity for himself is unchanged.
    What a surprise!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Similar Threads

  1. The Complete Book of SpiralHorns IV: Legion Eternal
    By AvengerRam in forum SpiralHorn Book 4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-19-2005, 03:13 PM
  2. The Complete Book of SpiralHorns IV: Legion Eternal
    By AvengerRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -01-19-2005, 03:13 PM
  3. Warner Will Not Stay As Eli's Backup (CNNSI)
    By AvengerRam in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: -01-08-2005, 02:47 AM
  4. Rich Eisen Interviews Warner....
    By Yodude in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -10-23-2004, 11:19 AM
  5. Warner wows his receivers
    By Nick in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: -08-17-2004, 05:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •