Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Kevin Barlow says he can do what Portis and Larry Johnson do

"Every year I come back motivated and I'm still optimistic, still hungry, still wanting to be successful. That's something God gives you," Barlow, 27, said. "I still feel I can be the best at what I do. When I lose that, then you've got something to worry about.

"But I still feel I can go out there and be one of the best backs in the league. Guys like Larry Johnson and Clinton Portis, I feel I can do everything they do. I just haven't been in the position or had the opportunity to be successful like them."

He started Friday night's exhibition opener, only to come out after four snaps because of a nasty collision -- his right quadriceps to cornerback Nathan Vasher's helmet. Vasher's open-field hit came dangerously close to Barlow's right knee -- he had offseason surgery on his left knee -- and ever so close to ending the battle between Barlow and Frank Gore for the starting job.
    Full article here.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Brain Daddy is offline Registered User

Re: Kevan Barlow says he can do what Portis and Larry Johnson do

Sure he can. Just nowhere near as well those two

I thought he showed a lack of heart in 2004, but played better last year. He had some good games, but the constant shuffling of the line and the qb carousel really hurt him.

This is going to be Barlow's last year to prove 2003 wasn't a fluke. There's little chance of the Niners getting rid of him this season due to the cap hit they'd take and the question marks at RB. He's still got his starting job because he does a better job of picking up the blitz than Gore or Hicks. I think he's a good back, and I'd like to see him have a good year.
    Last edited by Brain Daddy; -08-13-2006 at 09:41 PM.

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.
    -- Kevan Barlow on Adam Sandler's performance in The Longest Yard

FootballGod Guest

Re: Kevin Barlow says he can do what Portis and Larry Johnson do

Barlow has his replacement already in F. Gore! That guy is a real football player. I think Barlow is done in SF

Milan is offline Registered User

Kevan Barlow must be hanging out with Ricky Williams...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

So what is he waiting for ???

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Daddy
    Sure he can. Just nowhere near as well those two

I thought he showed a lack of heart in 2004, but played better last year. He had some good games, but the constant shuffling of the line and the qb carousel really hurt him.

This is going to be Barlow's last year to prove 2003 wasn't a fluke. There's little chance of the Niners getting rid of him this season due to the cap hit they'd take and the question marks at RB. He's still got his starting job because he does a better job of picking up the blitz than Gore or Hicks. I think he's a good back, and I'd like to see him have a good year.
    So has there been any talk of a RB-by-committee situation? It seems to me that the job is just waiting for Gore to get his feet under him, then Barlow is history. But like you said, the economics of the situation may keep KB around.

So, what's the word from the bay? Committee.....or is one of these two projected as a feature back?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

if gore gets the job, i wonder if they will trade barlow for a mid round pick? would the rams be interested for a #5?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    if gore gets the job, i wonder if they will trade barlow for a mid round pick? would the rams be interested for a #5?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    A #5 for an injury prone back who can't back up his big talk? No thanks. Tony Fisher looked good, and Moe looked fine, we don't need this guy.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    So has there been any talk of a RB-by-committee situation? It seems to me that the job is just waiting for Gore to get his feet under him, then Barlow is history. But like you said, the economics of the situation may keep KB around.

So, what's the word from the bay? Committee.....or is one of these two projected as a feature back?
    Nolan hasn't really talked about it, other than to say Barlow is the starter. I was hoping for a RB by committe approach last year, but Barlow did most of the work. I think he'll still carry the load. Gore will definitely see more carries, but Barlow will be the guy on 3rd downs.

That's provided Barlow's still with the team. There are rumors he's going to be traded to the Jets...

I didn't buy him as a quarterback. He's just so stiff, especially when he drops back to pass. Really stiff. He reminds me of Kurt Warner.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There are rumors he's going to be traded to the Jets...
    They could certainly use him. Between Blaylock, Houston, and Washington, I don't see a true starter. And certainly none of them bring Barlow's size....he's got at least 15 pounds on all of them.

Any idea of who (or what pick) you guys would try to get in return?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    They could certainly use him. Between Blaylock, Houston, and Washington, I don't see a true starter. And certainly none of them bring Barlow's size....he's got at least 15 pounds on all of them.

Y'know, I really don't know. To be honest, I'd just as soon keep Barlow this year. He's the best all-around back, and if we gave him up, I would only want it to be for something ridiculous from the Jets, like a defensive starter, a player and a pick, or a high draft pick (1st or 2nd round).

I think Barlow is worth more to the Niners than the Jets, and the Jets will have to overpay to get him.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

LOL

Ok, with that O-line there is no way he even gets close to be a Pro Bowler.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

A #5 for an injury prone back who can't back up his big talk? No thanks. Tony Fisher looked good, and Moe looked fine, we don't need this guy.
    I totally agree RamsBruuuuce. I really like what Fisher and Williams bring to the offense.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Looks like it went down. Barlow was traded for an undisclosed draft pick.

The San Francisco ***** announced Sunday that they have traded RB Kevan Barlow to the New York Jets for an undisclosed 2007 draft pick. The trade is contingent on Barlow passing a physical.

Said head coach Mike Nolan on the trade, “This is a great opportunity for Kevan because of New York’s need at running back. Kevan has been committed to our program and done well. With the depth at running back we felt we could make this move.”

http://www.*****.com/pressbox/news_d...tion=PR%20News

I'll reserve judgement until I find out what round the pick is. I think this could come back to bite the team in the butt. If Gore goes down, the Niners are hosed at RB.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Looks like it went down. Barlow was traded for an undisclosed draft pick.

The San Francisco ***** announced Sunday that they have traded RB Kevan Barlow to the New York Jets for an undisclosed 2007 draft pick. The trade is contingent on Barlow passing a physical.

Said head coach Mike Nolan on the trade, “This is a great opportunity for Kevan because of New York’s need at running back. Kevan has been committed to our program and done well. With the depth at running back we felt we could make this move.”

http://www.*****.com/pressbox/news_d...tion=PR%20News

I'll reserve judgement until I find out what round the pick is. I think this could come back to bite the team in the butt. If Gore goes down, the Niners are hosed at RB.
    Wow, I'm a little surprised. No matter what the draft pick is, that won't help you this year if Gore goes down.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast