Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Krapernick's New Deal

MACD is offline Registered User

Krapernick's New Deal

$110,000,000 for six years. I believe $61,000,000 is guaranteed. From espn crawl.

Good luck with those wheels San Fran.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Krapernick's New Deal

Nice!!!! $61 Million that's what I'm talking about.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

I see the Whiners going through salary kaep hell after that contract. If he doesn't improve his mental acuity to read defenses, they better hope they can draft well to maintain their formula for success.
    Sauceman likes this.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I read that this year he is 1.078M against the cap. So, a lot of that contract comes after this season, close to the tune of 21$m a season. SF is going to be playing cap games in the coming season.

NOW.......I am going to laugh my butt off when Donald and Quinn make a Kap sandwich with some Long on the side. The entire direction of that franchise will change regarding that salary, and it will change even more when Kap gets crunched in the Best Defensive Division in the NFL.
    citr92 likes this.
    Semper Fi!

Mikey is offline Registered User

I would like to see how they plan on keeping Iupati, Crabtree, Aldon Smith and countless others who are going to want a pay raise when their QB now counts for around 1/6th of the salary cap.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In the world of the cap, something has to give when you give out this much money.

Here's a look at their upcoming key FAs:

Mike Iupati
    Michael Crabtree
    Frank Gore
    Glenn Dorsey
    Kendall Hunter

Vernon Davis
    Justin Smith
    Aldon Smith
    Alex Boone
    Ray McDonald

MACD is offline Registered User

I'm sure it will do wonders for team unity.

If they don't make the playoff it's over. They fire the coach and start all over with a very expensive QB.

citr92 is offline Registered User

great, screws up the niners

dude has done NOTHING to get that kind of money lol

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    I'm sure it will do wonders for team unity.
    Hearing some squawk already about Davis being not so happy.

:-)
    Semper Fi!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We are witnessing the beginning of the end.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    In the world of the cap, something has to give when you give out this much money.

Here's a look at their upcoming key FAs:

Mike Iupati
    Michael Crabtree
    Frank Gore
    Glenn Dorsey
    Kendall Hunter

Vernon Davis
    Justin Smith
    Aldon Smith
    Alex Boone
    Ray McDonald
    The last thing I want to do is say something positive about the *****, but I think they're in a position to let some of those guys go and run with in-house replacements.

If I had to guess, of that list, I think they work to retain Iupati, Crabtree, Davis, and maybe McDonald. The others could be expendable, IMO. They have Hyde/Lattimore behind Gore/Hunter, Carradine behind Justin Smith, Brandon Thomas behind Boone. Aldon Smith is a head case who could be let go, Dorsey is just a guy IMO.

A lot is going to depend on if these up and comers are able to fill the big shoes of the guys they're replacing, but they've positioned themselves with some potential options.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Smart deal for the whiners but he bottom line is as long as he healthy and the best option he won't be cheap.

The full Kaepernick contract details
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 5, 2014, 12:46 AM EDT
    Kaepernick AP

In response to our item suggesting that the Colin Kaepernick deal, trumpeted as being worth “up to” $126 million with $61 million guaranteed contains plenty of fluff, a league source with knowledge of the deal sent the details to PFT, and multiple other sources have chimed in on the contents of the contract.

As expected, there’s plenty of fluff.

Technically, the deal has $61 million guaranteed, even though $6 million of the guaranteed salary could evaporate (more on that later). Either way, only $13.073 million is guaranteed at signing. It comes in the form of a $12.328 million signing bonus, a base salary of $645,000, and a workout bonus of $100,000.

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the ***** the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the ***** can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

The base salary for 2015 is $12.4 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2015.

For 2016, the base salary is $13.9 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2016.

For 2017, the base salary is $16.5 million, guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2017.

For 2018, the base salary is $17 million, $5.2 million of which is guaranteed for injury only until April 1, 2018.

The non-guaranteed base salary for 2019 is $18.8 million, and the non-guaranteed base salary for 2020 is $21 million.

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the ***** appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

Starting in 2015, $400,000 per year is tied to workout bonuses, which adds up to $2.4 million of the base value.

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the ***** $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the ***** are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-05-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I agree Rambos, with the details coming out on the contract that's a relatively club friendly contract. I have to question his agents on that deal it has the potential to be a lot less guaranteed money.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast