Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,488
    Rep Power
    167

    Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    This question has come up a lot with Kurt's MVP performance this year in Arizona. Certainly, Kurt's path to a potential HOF induction has differed from the typical path but, looking at it objectively, how does he rate?

    Here are a few interesting stats I came up with:
    • Kurt has a higher career passer rating than many HOF QBs, including (just as examples) Dan Fouts, Roger Staubach, Troy Aikman and Joe Namath.
    • Kurt has more TD passes and fewer interceptions than Aikman and Staubach had in their careers.
    • Kurt has more career passing yards than Staubach, and will pass Namath this year.
    • Kurt's completion percentage of 65.7 is better than all the HOF QBs listed above.
    If Kurt wins the MVP this year and wins a playoff game this year, I think his resume will be HOF-worthy even if he never plays again. Why he'd retire now, I have no idea. He can certainly play at a high level for another 2-3 years, thereby bringing his career totals to an undeniable HOF level.

    So... is he a HOF player? Absolutely.

    Only two questions:

    1. Does he go in as a Ram, Giant or Cardinal?

    2. What will Matt Leinart do?


  2. #2
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,233
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Unlike MLB, NFL players go into the HOF with no team designation, so that probably won't really be an issue.

    As far as Leinart, he'll probably get to attend a lot more beer bong parties.

  3. #3
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,488
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    As far as Leinart, he'll probably get to attend a lot more beer bong parties.
    He still regrets this one:


  4. #4
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,233
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He still regrets this one:

    Poor Matty. At least the Manning's still love him.

  5. #5
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    The biggest knock on him will probably be sustained play at a high level. He was off-the-charts great for us for a few years. Then there were a lot of years that he was just trying to prove he deserved to start...competing against Bulger, then Eli, then Leinart. He is only just starting to restore his reputation as an elite passer, and I'm sure some will argue that anyone would look better with receivers like Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, etc.

    I think this year will really help his resume, but it is by no means an open-and-shut case right now.

  6. #6
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    46
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The biggest knock on him will probably be sustained play at a high level. He was off-the-charts great for us for a few years. Then there were a lot of years that he was just trying to prove he deserved to start...competing against Bulger, then Eli, then Leinart. He is only just starting to restore his reputation as an elite passer, and I'm sure some will argue that anyone would look better with receivers like Fitzgerald, Boldin, Breaston, etc.

    I think this year will really help his resume, but it is by no means an open-and-shut case right now.
    You beat me to the punch, I agree with you, he had some great years but I agree with you that his lean years will come into play when it's time to cast the votes. IMO he should be in the hall and his numbers back it up. AV, as far as Leinart goes judging by the pictures it looks as though he may have a future in the adult film industry as a wide reciever not a tight end if you know what I mean.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    ramsanddodgers's Avatar
    ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2,256
    Rep Power
    50

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    You beat me to the punch, I agree with you, he had some great years but I agree with you that his lean years will come into play when it's time to cast the votes. IMO he should be in the hall and his numbers back it up. AV, as far as Leinart goes judging by the pictures it looks as though he may have a future in the adult film industry as a wide reciever not a tight end if you know what I mean.

    Not there's anything WRONG with that.......
    RnD

    GO RAMS!!

  8. #8
    renrawtruk is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    333
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    I think his numbers, especially that recent stat that almost half of his games are 300 yards passing, and his career QB rating, along with the MVP of the superbowl, and league MVP's (possibly another) would definitely get him there.

    The career QB rating includes his years while he played poorly with a bad hand, and he's still one of the highest rated for a career, so shouldn't hold him back.

    I think if he had done nothing after leaving the Rams, there could be some doubt, if he had just faded away and retired and Lienert took over.

    But playing at the top of the NFL and once again seemingly coming out of nowhere for a second time, and even consideration for another League MVP will get him the recognition as more than just a one hit wonder with the GSOT.

  9. #9
    makersncoke's Avatar
    makersncoke is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    mo
    Age
    46
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Not there's anything WRONG with that.......
    Agreed, one's orientation should never be an issue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #10
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    If he wins another MVP how can they hold him out. There would be only two players who have won 3.
    :ramlogo:

  11. #11
    Ramblin` Ram's Avatar
    Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Nation of Rams
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,401
    Rep Power
    54

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    most passing yards in a superbowl..two superbowl apps..two league MVP awards..(in with a shout for a third)...he may have had some down years inbetween..but have not those QB`s mentioned had down years too?? only thing that is differant is that those had their down years at the end of their careers,instead of in the middle!

    Longevity is fair enough an arguement to consider when you talking about the likes of linemen like Bruce Matthews,but well..what QB has ever played at the top of his game for 16 plus years??

    one thing im not gonna do tho..is cheer for the Cards in the play-offs just so Kurt can get in the H.O.F!
    if he aint done enough already then so be it...i know for sure he is a player that all fans in the entire NFL world who were witness to what he done as a Ram (and now elsewhere) will always remember the name of Kurt Warner and the things he done in the game...and of course the "rags to riches " story should inspire people who arent where they wanna be in their lives to never give up on their dreams for generations to come.
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -11-21-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling

  12. #12
    locazn's Avatar
    locazn is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    california
    Age
    34
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Is Kurt Warner a Hall of Fame player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    one thing im not gonna do tho..is cheer for the Cards in the play-offs just so Kurt can get in the H.O.F!
    if he aint done enough already then so be it...i know for sure he is a player that all fans in the entire NFL world who were witness to what he done as a Ram (and now elsewhere) will always remember the name of Kurt Warner and the things he done in the game... .
    Your Right. I have been cheering for Kurt. Kurt Warner is a class act. He in my opinion is definitely a Hall of Famer. His stats rank him among the best of QBs. I never liked the thought of parting ways with Kurt. I was there in St. Louis when he returned to the dome and destroyed our defence. ( two years ago i think) I wish him the best of luck and root for him when he is not playing the Rams! How can they not let him in?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 85
    Last Post: -01-29-2009, 05:12 PM
  2. Gordo Post Game Chat
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-03-2008, 02:27 PM
  3. What Lion fans are saying about the Hall trade
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: -03-03-2007, 05:49 PM
  4. ESPN on Warner
    By RamWraith in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: -09-14-2004, 08:10 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -06-01-2004, 02:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •