Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Kurt Warner has been benched

After another hard loss for the New Yourk Giants, Tom Coughlin announced that Eli Manning will start for the Giants. After the loss Coughlin said Warner would start but Monday the story changed and so did the starting QB for the Giants.

"Eli has been involved in the game plan, he knows the system and he will come in and play the game."

"Kurt will be very supportive of Eli."
    This sucks for Kurt, man I was pulling for him.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -11-15-2004 at 03:48 PM.

LET'S GO DODGERS

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Kurt Warner has been benched

This really should not come as a surprise to anyone. The Giants have a lot invested in Eli, and now that the team has lost three of its last four, I'm sure there is tremendous pressure to get him in there.

Kurt has done what he needed to do this year - demonstrated that he's a viable option as an NFL starting QB. I'm sure he'll get an opportunity with another team this offseason.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I sure hpoe so. :upset:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I have to keep telling myself that this is the best thing for Warner. Qb'ing behind that line will only get him hurt and may have already. I think his hand might have been injured during the game against the Cards and they are keeping it quiet. They don't really need much of an excuse to get the Manning era started and the offense has been pathetic. I pray for Warner's sake that the Giants don't put up 30 or more points against Atlanta next week. Actually, for my sake too. It's hard enough to support the infamous Warner at this point as it is.

I guess it comes with being a Rams fan and why I support him now. I used to have to deal with this type of thing as a Rams fan so I feel a certain loyalty to the qb that helped guide the team out of "Bengal Status".

Isn't it ironic that Warner get's benched after not fumbling, not throwing an interception, throwing a td and posting a 90+ rating? Sometimes it truly seems that the cards are stacked against him.

WisRamsFan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

In my opinion this is just like telling the team that we they are giving up on the season. We all know Eli is the main guy in NY but I think if the Giants want to make the playoffs, (not saying they would) they would have a better chance with the veteren leadership of a Kurt Warner. I don't care if it was Vinny Testaverde in there. If the Giants believed they still had a chance at the playoffs they would stick with the veteren. Apparently they feel the season is a wash and are ready to begin to look towards the future. I hope Eli survives behind that O-line. The schedule does not favor Eli either with Philly, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh, and Washington(they do have one of the top defenses despite their offense) still on the schedule. Not to mention a first place Atlanta team. Good luck Eli, keep your head, don't start like J.P. Losman(again no offensive line). Warner's career is not over just this season. Of course how long will Eli be in if the Giants continue to lose.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Sometimes it truly seems that the cards are stacked against him.
    I really have no reason to make light of the situation, but maybe KW should think about changing uniform numbers. I watched parts of the game and saw him miss Shockey for a long pass on one play, hold the ball too long on another, and start flexing his hand after a QB sneak. As much as the line has let him down at times, I think he has let himself down at others. Maybe he has annoyed one of the gods somehow. I don't know. But I was hoping for better.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Oh, financially I think he will be just fine whatever he does.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think this is a horrible move by Coughlin. LIke was said before, it's like he's giving up on the season. Not only does he take out Warner who was doing well in that offense, but he's being replaced with a rookie who's being thrown into a volatile situation.

If it was going to happen like this, the Giants should've made the change to Eli sooner. Now the Giants season rests in the hands of a rookie who's never started an NFL game before.

As a Rams fan, this definitely looks good for the horns with regard to our chances of getting into the playoffs. As of right now it looks like it'll be:

Eagles, Packers, Vikings, Falcons, Rams, Seahawks

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't agree with the decision, but I'm not surprised. Warner hasn't played well in the last couple of weeks, but he's hardly the biggest problem on that team. I'd be interested to see what happens if Manning goes in, kills the Falcons, but gets injured in the next game and the Giants are forced to bring in the vet they benched for the rookie.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

I wasn't really referring to his financial circumstances when I wrote that. It's kind of a given when it comes to sports personalities. I don't think these guys worry "too" much about their on field exploits but I'm not positive.

I can already tell you though, as much as I think Kurt has been battling that the fates have decided already that Eli will come in and throw for 6 td's and the Giants will cream the Falcons then the following week beat the Eagles. Warner hasn't played perfectly and I won't claim that he has, but this is just typical fan support for me. "My" guy will have egg all over his face, bounce around for a couple of years and then just fade away. Ferragamo went to Canada, sucked, then came back with his tail between his legs. Just when there was a ray of hope, he broke his thumb and was never the same again. Left the Rams for Buffalo, was ousted by a young, fresh from the USFL, Jim Kelly, took a backup job with Green Bay and never saw the field again.

Everett had the phantom sack, developed happy feet, threw off his back foot way too often, went to New Orleans, revived his career a little bit on a bad team, wound up in San Diego, hurt his shoulder and never saw the field again.

Warner...well, we all know that story up to this point, but I can now see the writing on the wall. Warner instilled a feeling of hope and faith, in regards to football, in me but his magic is gone. It's done a complete 180 as a matter of fact. Now I just get to watch the gruellingly(new word) slow demise tarnish the happiest Ram moment in my 24 years of support.

This is just me on my soap box folks. Please send money in lieu of flowers.

PTHOR is offline Registered User

It's as simple as this, Kurt's suffering from "DLB" He had it in St. Louis too. It stands for "Defensive Lineman Beatings" Keep the 400 pound lineman off his back and he will make the completion !

This syndrome can be traced to every Concussion, broken pinky and thumb problem since the 2000 season.....

Mark my words, when Coughflem puts in his golden boy and a 400 hundred pounder takes a bite out of him, he'll re-evaluate this move ! You'll see Kurt again.... :ramlogo:

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind bringing him back, if the price is right.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Mark my words, when Coughflem puts in his golden boy and a 400 hundred pounder takes a bite out of him, he'll re-evaluate this move ! You'll see Kurt again....
    Gotta agree with this. How long does Coughlin think Manning will last? Poor Eli isn't going to know what hit him. They'll be screaming for Kurt in the Big Apple soon, but it may come too late.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PTHOR
    It's as simple as this, Kurt's suffering from "DLB" He had it in St. Louis too. It stands for "Defensive Lineman Beatings" Keep the 400 pound lineman off his back and he will make the completion !
    Go watch tape of their loss to the Cardinals and you'll see Warner got good protection a number of times and just hung onto the ball or wouldn't throw it away. Some of the beatings he takes, at least now and probably some in the past, are because of his own habits.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Gentlemen, his hand just isnt the same. Neither are his receivers or offensive line.

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast