Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    moklerman is offline Registered User

Re: Kurt Warner to the Lions?

I happen to have a sense of humor but just like the Super Bowl commercials from five years ago have been played to death and aren't funny anymore, neither are the "I hear Kurt Warner will try out for..." jokes. It's been done. Many, many, many, many. times.

Come up with something original or funny before accusing me of not having a sense of humor.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

he might thrive in a mariucchi off,will just have to see.

An online buddy of mine is a big Lions fan and Harrington supporter and he says that from what he's read, everyone is conceding the fact that Warner will be on the Lions next year. I don't know what Mooch's beef with Harrington is but he sure seems to want to get rid of him. That's just my limited impression since I don't really follow much of what's going on with the Lions.

I think the Gruden/Johson situation is very similar. Brad Johnson put up pretty darned good numbers the year TB won the Super Bowl but Gruden has never really seemed to support him. Now, with the early success of Simms and the year-long success of Griese it seems Johnson will most likely be gone, most likely reuniting with Green in Arizona.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I happen to have a sense of humor but just like the Super Bowl commercials from five years ago have been played to death and aren't funny anymore, neither are the "I hear Kurt Warner will try out for..." jokes. It's been done. Many, many, many, many. times.

Come up with something original or funny before accusing me of not having a sense of humor.
    I don't know, I thought linking to an eBay item about getting a sense of humor was somewhat humorous in itself. Oh well. :bored:

If Kurt's with the Lions next year, I'm sure he'll be fine. Their line is much better than New York's, comparitively. My question is how he'll do in that offense and whether or not his receivers will be able to stay healthy. Plus, Tiki Barber > Kevin Jones at this point in time. I wonder if Jones is going to be as effective on the RB screen as Tiki was this season.

Still, it'd be interesting. I'm sure there's a team out there willing to bite on Harrington if Mooch is done with him. Someone like Oakland might give up a first day pick.
    Last edited by Nick; -02-13-2005 at 07:26 PM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Harrington has been very erratic and frustrated the Lions. As a Warner fan I don't know if I want him going there since they're really not going anywhere anytime soon, but as long as he gets some PT. Maybe Mooch remembers KW from their Packers' days
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

since they're really not going anywhere anytime soon
    In this day and age of parity I'm surprised that you feel that way about the Lions. As far as I know they don't have any gaping holes to fill not to mention the wr's and rb they have right now seem pretty promising. Add to that the NFC central isn't so tough that the Lions couldn't take it if they got on a roll.

What is about the Lions that makes you think they're a bad team for Warner to go to? With Mariucci's qb friendly (in SF it was anyway) system and the talent on offense it seems like a potentially good situation at least.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I'm hearing Miami became a front runner in K. Warner derby!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

xHOLTx81 is offline Registered User

good get someone over there to help az-hakim kurt warner would b great lol hopeful :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    In this day and age of parity I'm surprised that you feel that way about the Lions. As far as I know they don't have any gaping holes to fill not to mention the wr's and rb they have right now seem pretty promising. Add to that the NFC central isn't so tough that the Lions couldn't take it if they got on a roll.

What is about the Lions that makes you think they're a bad team for Warner to go to? With Mariucci's qb friendly (in SF it was anyway) system and the talent on offense it seems like a potentially good situation at least.
    The Lions have needs on the defensive side of the ball. They need an elite pass rushing defensive end - their current line-up isn't very inspiring as a whole, and this could be the area they address in the first round of the 2005 draft. They could use more strength in their secondary, particularly at either safety position, IMO. Their cornerbacks seem okay, but more depth there would probably be welcomed in a division with the Packers and Vikings, who are dangerous in the air.

Offensively, they could always strengthen their line. The addition of Damien Woody last year was solid, but I question some of the other positions in terms of overall talent. The addition of more depth at tackle might be worthwhile. They should resign Tai Streets in the event that Rogers and/or Williams continue to miss time with injury because if they don't I'm not confident in their receiving core. They need a pass-catching tight end as well - the more targets on that offense, the better.

Jeff Garcia has been released from the Cleveland Browns. Looks like Mooch will have his pick of names.

Garcia seems like an obvious choice but I don't remember now who brought him to SF in the first place. Wasn't he a Walsh pick (as a consultant, not coach) from up in Canada? I'm sure there is some loyalty between the two but who knows? Also, I wonder if the size and speed of the NFL has caught up with Garcia and his relatively small build? He was injured for most of the season his last year with SF and spent most of his time on the injured list while with Cleveland last year. His back seems to be a recurring problem at this point and I don't know if the past two years are coincidence or evidence.

I can't recall either. All I know is that he excelled while Mooch was there. But the injuries are concerning, indeed. We'll just have to see. I'm tempted to believe though that Mooch would go with a guy he's coached before, though.

Ramantix is offline Registered User

xxx
    Well, I looked into this and yes, Lions' WRs would be a nice enough fit. But I personally think Kurt Warner would have a better chance remaining a starter in Arizona playing for the Cards. Not bad WRs there either, and the coach is a better fit for him.

:ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo: :ramlogo:

theodus69 is offline Registered User

The fact that Kurt did so well in a dome might be a good reason to go to the Lions. But he has already expressed his interest in Coach Green and his direction! The Cards are real close to becoming a contender not only in the west, but also in the League.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Ramantix is offline Registered User

Well, I looked into this and yes, Lions' WRs would be a nice enough fit. But I personally think Kurt Warner would have a better chance remaining a starter in Arizona playing for the Cards. Not bad WRs there either, and the coach is a better fit for him.

:ramlogo:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12