Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Kurt Warner should rot in the Arizona desert

Bold words, huh?

Not really, though. I'm a Ram fan. The Cardinals are a divisional opponent. Any success they might achieve is inherently a threat to the Rams. So why should I hope that any Cardinal - even one who is a former Ram - succeed?

If Warner had signed with a team like, say... Cleveland, I could root for him to an extent. I mean, what are the chances of a Browns/Rams Super Bowl this year?

But the Rams play the Cardinals twice this year, and divisional games are very important.

So... I hope Kurt Warner rots in the desert. I hope he throws 3 interceptions every game until he's benched. I hope his QB rating is 50.0. I hope he fumbles the ball more than Tony Banks.

Its nothing personal. I hope the same things happen to Matt Hasselbeck and... um... whoever the starting QB ends up being in San Francisco.

That's what being a Ram fan is all about.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Kurt Warner should rot in the Arizona desert

See AV, now that is what's great about this...the spectrum of opinions. I know you and Nick and others take heat for what are often perceived as personal shots at Warner (which in itself is humorous because I'm pretty sure Warner doesn't even know we exist, so it's not like he's going to read any of this and take offense...but I digress), but I think you've brought up a valid point here, which is where is the line between Ram fan and Warner fan? I say there is no line. We can be both if we choose to. I choose to. You do not. Neither of us is wrong. You see Warner's success = Cards success = Rams demise. If that is your perspective then, you're right, under no circumstances should you wish well for Warner.

I see it differently. Warner's success may be a part of Cards success, but not necessarily. Their defense may fold, their RB may not make it past the line of scrimmage, their WRs may fumble every ball they catch.

I just don't see this as black and white. Nobody has to be one or the other, as long as they put the Rams first, then there's no difference around here.
    That's what being a Ram fan is all about.
    And personally, I think being a Ram fan is more about wanting the Rams to win, than wanting everyone else to lose.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Don't get me wrong. If Warner playing well would not impact the Cards' overall record, I'd be happy to see him have some success. But, the truth is, the success of the QB does impact a teams' prospects, so I hope he fails, thereby causing the Cards to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Don't get me wrong. If Warner playing well would not impact the Cards' overall record, I'd be happy to see him have some success. But, the truth is, the success of the QB does impact a teams' prospects, so I hope he fails, thereby causing the Cards to lose.
    Here are some names: Brian Griese, Trent Green, Jake Delhomme, Billy Volek, Kurt Warner, David Carr, Matt Hasselbeck, Byron Leftwich...now what do they have in common?

1. They all had what I would call a successful season last year (success defined by a rating of 82+....okay, I know it's arbitrary, but so are words like success)
    2. Their teams all finished behind the Rams.

I'm just saying that it's possible for an individual non-Ram QB to have a good season w/o compromising the success of the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'd rather not take any chances. If Warner never completes a pass, the Cards will surely fail.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Av, your points are completely valid. No one should look at your position as a personal attack on Warner. If he wins the starting job in Arizona, he'll be a threat to the Rams, as will the Cardinals.

I have mixed feelings on this, but for me, the success of the Rams is without question what I want above all else. I, like HUbison am looking forward to Warner doing well, and whatever happens with the Cardinals happens. If some want to say I'm less of a Ram fan for supporting Warner, so be it. After 34 years of avidly following this team through all the ups and downs, the moves, and the recent controversies, I have a clear conscience as a Ram fan.

For the purpose of discussion, if the Rams failed to make the playoffs and a Cardinal team lead by Warner did, would you root for him?

Would I root for a Warner lead Cardinal team if the Rams were already eliminated? Probably not. But again, it is because I don't want the Rams' most direct competitors to be successful, not because of Warner. I would not want to see Seattle or San Fran win it all either. When the Saints and Falcons were in the Rams' division, I rooted against them.

Would I root for a Warner lead Cardinal team if the Rams were already eliminated? Probably not. But again, it is because I don't want the Rams' most direct competitors to be successful, not because of Warner. I would not want to see Seattle or San Fran win it all either. When the Saints and Falcons were in the Rams' division, I rooted against them.
    Now that is interesting. If the Rams aren't in it, then I root for whatever NFC West team still is, and then for whatever NFC team represents in the Super Bowl. I always figured if my team can't be the champs, then I at least want the team closest to them to do it.

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by AvengerRam

I with you, Avenger, on this path of support. Kurt fails = possible RAMS success. Period.

I loved Bettis and support him but he never played 2X against my beloved during a season.

Kurt and his storybook ... coming to Barnes and Global soon :tongue:
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

why not? If the Cards made it to the SB (man, that just sounds weird) they would have one of the last two picks in the draft which would actually be better for the Rams. I would think that IF the Rams weren't in the playoffs, we would be doing ourselves a favor by wanting an NFC West team in the Super Bowl.

I would rather see McCown and Warner each throw 2 TDs and 15 Ints. so that the Cards would have to waste next year's #1 pick on a QB.

Truth is, if I'm going to root for an ex-Ram QB (assuming the Rams were already eliminated), I'd root for Trent Green, who never got his shot at glory in 1999 with the Rams because of the knee injury.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Kurts stint in ARI will only prove one thing and that can't be proven till years end, as for Warner VS Rams,The Rams always come first. :ramlogo: I think I confused a few people this week!What ARI has done in the off season so far scares the hell out of me! That's all. To see any team in our division get what looks like to be Major upgrades bothers me! :ramlogo: And to see Warner there and still having this feeling he isn't washed up just adds to that tension. The ride since 2000 seems to be on the down slide and alot could have to do with the FO and the power struggles they may be having and I, me ,mine-PACE. I know this team made it to the NFC champ game 2 years ago but something just doesn't seem right with this team - to me! :disappoin I'm sorry but I feel a little let down these days :upset: Somebody cheer my ass up PLEASE!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

You're not going to like the answer...

One of Arizona'd biggest problems may be that its best QB is only an average NFL QB.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams go 16-0 in 2005, I would have no problem with the Cardinals going 14-2 and Kurt having a spectacular year. But I'm not going to hope he does well or root for him, because like it or not, he's the opposition. All that matters to me is the success of the St. Louis Rams. It's almost as some are being perceived as hating Kurt because they don't want him to do well. That's not the case at all, in my opinion.

So long as it's not at the expense of the Rams, either directly in a game between the two or in a race in the division with playoff implications, I'd love to see Warner do well. But I'm not going to root for him, since he's now on a team that's in direction divisional competition with the Rams. I don't want our competition to do well, so I'm not going to cheer for him, since good play by the QB gives a team a better chance at victory. If Warner succeeds, great - I'll be happy for him... again, as long as his success doesn't cause Ram failure, either directly or indirectly.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

You're not going to like the answer...

One of Arizona'd biggest problems may be that its best QB is only an average NFL QB.
    Av, I get the suspicion you don't like Arizona's best QB in any way, shape or form. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast