Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Kurt Warner Silences Mike Martz and His Media Lapdog Bernie Miklasz

Despite the arrows attempting to impeach the writer in this case, however, he does get a lot of it right.

He overplays Bernie's role a bit. Bernie was sometimes Martz's lapdog, depending on the day. Bernie and Martz had a relationship that I would say was more analogous to a stormy romance. They were on again, off again. They fought like lovers. When it was good, it was very good and Bernie was indeed the lapdog. When it was bad, Bernie acted like a lover scorned.

Other than that, there is a lot of truth to what is said there.

Oh yes, and this is all just as I see it and saw it.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's ironic....without Martz there never would have been a Kurt Warner. That's lost on a lot of this stuff.

Maybe Tom Highway is Rebel13

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    It's ironic....without Martz there never would have been a Kurt Warner. That's lost on a lot of this stuff.

Maybe Tom Highway is Rebel13

Lost because it's not true.

I'll leave a trail next time so you won't get lost.

I'll leave a trail next time so you won't get lost.
    Remember that your trail leads straight to Paul Justin, not Kurt Warner.

If not for DV, the Rams would have rallied around Paul Justin and played good football.

or Jeff Hostetler.....

I have no beef you with you HornIt. You are actually quite entertaining to read. However, I just get so sick of everyone not giving Mike Martz one ounce of credit. It's always Warner, or Faulk, or someone else. Never Martz. Where were the Rams before Martz or after Martz?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Where were the Rams before Martz or after Martz?
    I believe I can answer that one for you, tx.

The St. Louis Rams....

pre-Martz: 22-42, 0 playoffs
    Martz: 66-35, 5 playoffs, 2-time NFC Champs, 1-time SB Champs
    post-Martz: 17-42, 0 playoffs
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yeah, we're just on the opposite ends of the spectrum here I guess. I get tired of Martz getting more credit than what I think he deserves.

The thing I see is that Martz didn't even have to install a new system with the Rams. He enhanced it, sure, but he was helped out a lot by the players that were there already being able to hit the ground running because they were familiar with and had run the same system under Rhome.

I think Martz should get credit for doing a great job of coordinating the offense in 99 and for utilizing the exceptional talent he had to their maximum potential. I think he fell away from that to some degree after Vermeil left and he got off to extremes in the play calling, but no doubt he did a masterful job calling plays and utilizing personnel at the time.

I think it's been proven, however, that he's not quite the same genius without those players and without DV's assistance. And I think Warner is proving just how important he was to that whole thing and if Faulk could still play, he probably would be too.

It was a special time where a group of special players came together under some excellent coaching and design and it all clicked. They all deserve credit for that, but certainly DV and the players deserve the most IMO. Martz, like Bunting/Guinta and Ganz have their place as well.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I still say the turning point was that night that Martz shared a bottle of Jagermeister with Brenda. Kurt clearly overreacted, as nothing really happened between them, and he definitely should not have punched the wall, particularly with his throwing hand. Of course, Martz could have diffused the whole situation had he not spouted his typical "yebbit, yebbit, yebbit" when questioned by Kurt over the incident.

The irony of it all was that when Bernie sent the bottle of Jager to Rams Park, it was supposed to be for Samir Suleiman, not Martz.

The whole thing is just sad, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I believe I can answer that one for you, tx.

The St. Louis Rams....

pre-Martz: 22-42, 0 playoffs
    Martz: 66-35, 5 playoffs, 2-time NFC Champs, 1-time SB Champs
    post-Martz: 17-42, 0 playoffs
    I like this attempt to demonstrate causation. See it often.

Now do it with Adam Timmerman. Forget Martz, DV, Warner, Faulk, etc. The whole dang house of cards set right atop Timmerman's broad shoulders. The pre-Timmerman, with Timmerman and post-Timmerman record proves it.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    I like this attempt to demonstrate causation. See it often.

Now do it with Adam Timmerman. Forget Martz, DV, Warner, Faulk, etc. The whole dang house of cards set right atop Timmerman's broad shoulders. The pre-Timmerman, with Timmerman and post-Timmerman record proves it.
    Yes, the OC/HC has pretty much the same effect on a team as a RG. Great analogy.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think it was addition by subtraction. Clearly, Trent Green was the problem, and any QB who replaced him would have prompted the rise of the GSOT. Thank goodness for Rodney Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Yes, the OC/HC has pretty much the same effect on a team as a RG. Great analogy.
    OK, maybe not RG, but definitely LG. The Rams rocked when Tom Nutten was playing.

I forgot what kind of effect the coach that is handed the champion somebody else built has. Barry Switzer had a HUGE effect on the Cowboys record too. Even a bigger one than Martz had on the Rams, judging by won/loss record.

Barry Switzer was the cause of the Cowboys winning record during his run in Dallas. And George Seiffert with the Niners and.........

I forgot what kind of effect the coach that is handed the champion somebody else built has.
    Oh my. Yea, Martz had nothing to do with '99. His work didn't begin until 2000. Sure.

Look. Bottomline on this one.........it took every piece of that puzzle to create the GSOT. Take away any of it and it wouldn't be the GSOT, as I stated earlier. But to imply that Martz was just in the right place at the right time is rather fallacious.

Yodude is offline Registered User

After reading every one of the current posts in this thread multiple times to make sure I haven't missed anything; and carefully analyzing what each poster had to say; and gauging what impact and importance each portion of the Greatest Show on Turf played on the entirety of the finished product, as well as the contibution of each member of the coaching staff as well as the front office...I keep coming back to the same conclusion.....Bernie IS a lapdog.

Last edited by Yodude; -01-29-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast