moklerman Guest

Lawrence Phillips gets 10 years in prison

Lawrence Phillips sentenced to prison - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Lawrence Phillips sentenced to prison

In this Aug. 23, 2005 file photo, former National Football League running back Lawrence Phillips is shown in Superior Court in Los Angeles. Phillips was sentenced Friday, Oct. 3, 2008, to 10 years in prison after being convicted of assault with a deadly weapon, in Los Angeles.

AP - Oct 3, 5:23 pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Former football star Lawrence Phillips was sentenced Friday to 10 years in prison, two years after he was convicted of assault with a deadly weapon.

The sentencing was repeatedly delayed while Phillips fought to withdraw a guilty plea in a domestic abuse case that could have led to a stiffer sentence.

Phillips was convicted in 2006 of seven counts of assault with a deadly weapon.

The 33-year-old former Nebraska running back has been jailed since August 2005, when he drove onto a field near Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and his car struck three boys, ages 14 and 15, and a 19-year-old man, who suffered cuts and bruises. The car narrowly missed three other people, prosecutor Todd Hicks said.

Phillips was allegedly upset after losing a pickup football game to the youths and accused them of stealing some of his possessions.

“When he gets angry and he feels disrespected, he acts out with blind rage,” Hicks said in a telephone interview after the sentencing.

In court, Phillips tearfully apologized to one of the victims.

“I’m sorry that your leg is messed up,” Phillips told Rodney Flores, after hearing the young man tell the court that he was unable to pursue his dream of playing high school sports as a result of being hit when he was 16.

“I’m sorry you have to come in here like this,” Phillips said, adding that he “wanted the chance to say I didn’t mean to hurt people.”

Superior Court Judge George G. Lomeli said Phillips should have thought about what he did.

A call to Phillips’ attorney Leslie Ringold was not immediately returned.

Sentencing was delayed while Phillips tried to withdraw a 2000 guilty plea to hitting a woman he had been dating during a confrontation at the Beverly Hills Hotel, the prosecutor said.

The plea stands as a strike against Phillips under California’s “three-strikes” law, which mandates tougher sentences for repeat offenders.

Phillips contended he was coerced into pleading guilty to domestic abuse and making a criminal threat, resulting in a brief prison term and three years of probation.

His attempts to withdraw the plea are continuing, Hicks said.

The St. Louis Rams released Phillips for insubordination in 1997. He signed with the Miami Dolphins, but was later released. In 1999 in NFL Europe, he set league records for rushing and touchdowns with the Barcelona Dragons.

He signed with the San Francisco ***** later that year, but was released for missing a practice. He also has played in the Canadian Football League.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Lawrence Phillips gets 10 years in prison

I doubt he'll serve the whole term. That guy never finishes anything he starts!

makersncoke is offline Registered User

What a waste of talent and promise. I'm speaking of the 16 year old who was injured by Philips of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I doubt he'll serve the whole term. That guy never finishes anything he starts!
    Agreed that picture is funny lol.
    :ramlogo:

truth-teller Guest

Go to [LINK DELETED] to read the truth about Lawrence Phillips which media will not publish although they have received this information over and over.

Media spoke with Lawrence’s attorney but refused to print anything she said-rather they lied and said she did not return telephone calls!

Ever notice how none of the alleged victims are quoted? The hype comes from the media, the prosecutor, the judge, law enforcement--those who care nothing about alleged victims other than to use them to benefit their own self-serving agenda!!!

Continue reading the website above to keep up with the appeals, which will reveal the cover-ups and deception that prosecutors and judges have gotten away with–but this time the end will be different!!!

Time will tell it all and California Supreme Court has opened up the process!!!

People stop being sheep!!! Stop hating when you don’t even know the truth!!! Find out the facts before you believe the hype!!!
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-05-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: No links!

jackfrost Guest

Quote Originally Posted by truth-teller View Post
    Go to [LINK DELETED]to read the truth about Lawrence Phillips which media will not publish although they have received this information over and over.

Media spoke with Lawrence’s attorney but refused to print anything she said-rather they lied and said she did not return telephone calls!

Ever notice how none of the alleged victims are quoted? The hype comes from the media, the prosecutor, the judge, law enforcement--those who care nothing about alleged victims other than to use them to benefit their own self-serving agenda!!!

Continue reading the website above to keep up with the appeals, which will reveal the cover-ups and deception that prosecutors and judges have gotten away with–but this time the end will be different!!!

Time will tell it all and California Supreme Court has opened up the process!!!

People stop being sheep!!! Stop hating when you don’t even know the truth!!! Find out the facts before you believe the hype!!!

Well if its all that simple, why couldn't you just print it here and be done with it ?

Why do I have to go to another link............if you know the truth, spill it.

Phillips has a history of trouble as long as you know what, so why should anyone believe you ?

He's an habitual crim, plan and simple................you got something that unequivocaly proves differently, print it.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-05-2008 at 07:52 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I thought I read somewhere the Bengals were taking a look at him. They are short on runningbacks.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Yeah but not short on idiots. They even have one coaching the team!

moklerman Guest

There are a few teams that I thought Shawn Alexander might get a call from by now. He must be more used up than I thought. Although he's pretty old by RB standards, I thought once his wrist and ankle healed up he would get a mid-season shot from a contender that needed a little relief and/or depth.

I think he wouldn't have been a bad fit in Cincinati. Maybe the Bears for depth behind Forte?

moklerman Guest

My first thought was of Pittsburgh. I don't think Alexander would play just to be playing and no team is going to pay him what he thinks he's worth so it would have to be for a contender. Chicago pretty much fits that description but I think he would need some kind of perceived opportunity at starting. Sitting behind Forte would be too much for his ego. Pittsburgh doesn't have an established replacement for Parker at this point and he keeps getting hurt so my thought was that Alexander would at least have a shot at getting some significant playing time there.

I could see that. Pittsburgh also has a better offense over all which would mean he'd not have to be the sole producer (like in Chicago).

moklerman Guest

I was about to say that Chicago's passing game actually looked decent yesterday but forgot that it was against Detroit. I know you don't throw back the one's against bad opponents but I think everyone looks good against the Lions right now. I'm still curious about Orton V.2. He was put in a real tough situation as a rookie but I thought he had the chops coming out of Purdue to maybe replicate some of the success his Purdue predecessor, Brees, has had.

Chicago had nowhere to go but up, but I like what I've seen of Forte and Orton seems to be progressing. Ya never know...