throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: Let me be the first to say this about Seattle

even if you have slightly fixed your defense, our receivers SHOULD still burn past your secondary, and hopefully they will....

Built RAM tough

BlueTalon is offline Registered User

There were two problems in the secondary. The first was the lack of a consistent pass rush, which obviously was not the fault of the DBs. The other problem, though, was that they played as a group of individuals and not as a unit. And as such, the weaknesses of individuals got exposed more than they would have otherwise. Boulware isn't that great in pass protection, and Babineaux isn't that strong against the run. Hamlin was known for his hits, but he would often go for the hit rather than just wrapping someone up -- and for a defensive unit that had a hard time tackling last year, we would have preferred more simple tackles to an occasional spectacular hit. The defense that took us to the Super Bowl didn't have Hamlin in it, so apparently the FO determined he wasn't essential, especially with the back-to-back performance comparison.

The introduction of Grant and Russel have already proven to be an upgrade. I don't know how Grant and Russel compare to Hamlin as athletes, but they're vastly superior in their on-field communication skills and in coordinating the defensive backfield, Grant especially. Better communication means better coordination and teamwork, which not only means better coverage, but better disguises of their coverage. They even have the LBs involved in disguising the coverage, and it was so effective that Hasselbeck quit trying to read them before the snap.

How it all develops during the course of the season remains to be seen, certainly, but I'm feeling very good about it.

Regarding the offense -- I was one of the ones hoping we'd resign Stevens, but his inconsistency on the field and his stupidity off it precluded our character-conscious FO from having him back. So right now, TE is a bit of a question mark, though the coaches are high on the 35 yr old Pollard. WR depth after Branch, Engram, Hackett and Burleson is Ben Obomanu, a kid that the coaches like but who hasn't had a chance to prove himself yet, kinda like where Hackett was a year or so ago. Not a group whose names will intimidate opponents, but that doesn't mean they're not good. (Reputation is what strikes fear in opponents, not talent.)

The O-line isn't quite settled, but I'm not worried. The problem we faced with the loss of Hutch the year before isn't something we face this year (namely, the sudden and unexpected loss of a key part of the line, and his replacement by an injury prone player). Rob Sims has settled in nicely at Hutch's old spot at LG, so the the left side is set. RG is the remaining question mark. Assuming someone does an adequate job there, we should be in good shape for the season.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    There were two problems in the secondary. The first was the lack of a consistent pass rush, which obviously was not the fault of the DBs.
    The Hawks had 41 sacks last year - 2nd in the NFC and more than the Bears.

The other problem, though, was that they played as a group of individuals and not as a unit. .
    And you think that bringing in new players who have never played together is going to help this problem?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

D Jack is a huge loss for the Seahawks. There is no number 1 receiver among the cast that's left.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Hawks had 41 sacks last year - 2nd in the NFC and more than the Bears.
    The pressure wasn't consistent. Plus, that sack number was padded with a high sack total against the Raiders (9 or 10, I think).

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    And you think that bringing in new players who have never played together is going to help this problem?
    Yes. The difference is in the communication. Apparently, Ken Hamlin just isn't that good at communicating on the field or coordinating a secondary. Grant and Russel both do those well, certainly better than Hamlin, and we're already seeing the results on the practice field. (There are many of us who suspect we did as well as we did in 2005 partly because Marquand Manuel was playing in Kenny's place, and doing a better job of QB-ing the secondary than Kenny would have, even though Ken is the better athlete.)

Hope springs eternal.

What can I say, I'm a certified koolaid drinker!

But isn't it great to be in a position with your team where hope is really hope, and not just a pipe dream?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTalon View Post
    What can I say, I'm a certified koolaid drinker!

But isn't it great to be in a position with your team where hope is really hope, and not just a pipe dream?
    Can't say I blame you for being a Seahawk kool-aid drinker or an optomisitic dreamer. I wouldn't expect anything less from a die-hard fan.

Unfortunately for you, your pleasant dreams are over.

Please let me introduce the 2007 NFC WEST CHAMPIONS:

THEE,

ST. LOUIS RAMS

:l :r :l :r

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i also bet that you get swept by the bronchos. chargers, and the unstoppable raiders, well at least agianst you guys they will be unstoppable
    We were 4-2 in the AFCW last season which is one of the hardest divisions in the NFL. What was your record again in your division??? 2-4?!?! I think KC went 4-0 against NFL Europe, woops I meant the NFCW last season. I don't know what you're trying to get at. DEN hardly ever wins at Arrowhead. SD is clearly the best talented team in the NFL. OAK is going through a coaching change and is gonna start a rookie QB. DEN and SD will be good however I dont think any of those teams will sweep KC. OAK is a whopping 2-22 in the AFCW since 2003. Theres a lot of ignorance in your post.

The Shredder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Am I missing something? I kinda thought that with players like K. Hamlin (albeit since departed), M. Boulware, and M. Trufant the SeePigeons secondary was a pretty decent group overall. Why would this be considered the "Achilles heel" ?

WHAT SAY YE?
    You can't sit there and say you wouldn't take that group over the swiss cheese secondary the rams have. I sure as hell would. That's a pretty solid group. If you have a pass rush as SEA does you don't have to have a great secondary. Even Deion Sanders and (enter another great cover CB) would get burned if they had to cover as long as the Rams secondary does. Everything starts at the Dline on defense.

Why do you think we care about the Chiefs? The Chiefs are merely one of those pathetic franchises that has tasted regular season success many times over the years, but has not been able to even make it to the big game in nearly three decades (were you even alive when they last made the Super Bowl?). Do you really think that, just because your team is in the same state as ours, suddenly its a rivalry?

Please.

This thread is about the Seahawks. If you feel the need to spew your bitterness, at least stay on topic.

Not only was he spewing, he couldn't tell that RAMarkable's comments weren't a slam, but rather a tip-o-the-hat to the Seahawks secondary -- and then he berated RAMarkable for the supposed insult! That's some tunnel vision right there.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Yes. The difference is in the communication. Apparently, Ken Hamlin just isn't that good at communicating on the field or coordinating a secondary. Grant and Russel both do those well, certainly better than Hamlin, and we're already seeing the results on the practice field. (There are many of us who suspect we did as well as we did in 2005 partly because Marquand Manuel was playing in Kenny's place, and doing a better job of QB-ing the secondary than Kenny would have, even though Ken is the better athlete.)

Well all I can say is that against our offense it will not make a difference. Grant and Russel will be looking at the backs of Holt, Bruce, Bennett, and McMicheal. And they better hope that Jackson doesn't make it into the secondary because I doubt they want to get run over.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12