Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    PHAT-MONEY Guest

lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

W/O martz we would have no Marc Bulger, Or a Steven Jackson, well actually if the Cowboys had BRAINS we would have no Steven Jackson, but that is beside the point. martz turnes us into the greatest Show on turf, While dick vermeil was more of a balanced coach mike was not scared to toss the ball 60 or 70 percent of the time, don't get me wrong, i like the balance we now show, elite pass and elite run game, but don't you guys sort of miss the 2 play 90 yard drives for Td's that mike showed us in the past? granted he was the reason the rams fell apart after the SB in 01', but in 03' he brought it back, then he went CONSERVATIVE on the final drive of regulation that would eventualy end our SB hopes in the 03 divisional round. but lets go back to the 01 SB season, we had our best team ever, our best record ever, and we let the patriots out smart us, now they have a dynasty, and they ended what would have been a rams dynasty. but in the end I like where the 07' rams are headed. and i will travel any roads they take on the path to glendale for the superbowl. our road may not be paved, and we may have to take back roads, but I am prepared for the long roads ahead for our rams. and for all of that. bringing us Marc and Steven, we should realy appreciate mad mike.

-PM

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

We probably owe him alot of credit for Bulger's progression. But he really didn't have anything to do with Jackson, exspecially in his progression.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Count me in, PM! :bash:

Have always been a Mad Coach Martz supporter through thick and thin. I got upset with some of his mistakes but recognized him more, far more for the greatness he brought to the Rams, inlcuding some of our current players as you said.

I miss MM (wondering what he would do if he were w/us now) though I full support Coach Linehan & Co.

Good one, PM. And so I honestly say, thank you Coach Martz. :r

Keenum is offline Registered User

Huge creds for him and the Greatest Show on Turf. Unfortunally, the Show really took a pounding on our QBs (Warner's screwed up hand all through 2002 and played with a freakin' concussion in the 2003 opener. I know Warner was wearing down from hits he took as a part of the offense; Bulger has also been beaten up a few times). If he was still our OC, and we had a HC who could have adjusted it, I think Warner could still be our QB today, and perform very well.

Thanks to Warner for taking the pouding during the time of the greatest offense ever, and thanks to Bulger for haning in there in 2003 and turning into one of the NFL's best of today.

Of course, the offense coming up this year is looking pretty good as well.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

I'll give him credit for helping end 39 years of football failure in St. Louis.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I've always recognized Martz as a brilliant offensive mind. But the reason that we got the rings in 99 was because we had a balanced head coach who knew enough defense to hold that intact and then an amazing offensive powerhouse in Martz's head. The problem was when Martz became a head coach himself, he didn't try to balance himself at all. It was always offense. I would take him back in a heartbeat for the OC job, but never for the coach.

As for Bulger and Jax, how much can we really attribute to him? Bulger's drafting, maybe, probably not, or else he'd been taken higher if he knew he was that good. His progression into what he is now, certainly. As for Jax, the team knew it was time for a new RB to help Faulk, as well as the fact that he was the top RB in the draft and he was still there at 24(I think I remember that right)! He was a steal and if you went by best player available, you had to pull that trigger. So no, I wouldn't give him credit for it.

As for the current staff, I think it's much more like 99, but better for this reason. In 99 we had an awesome offensive team and mind and then a good enough defensive team and mind. Now we have a good offensive mind and an awesome team paired with an awesome defensive mind and an improving team. More balance, and hopefully great things to come.

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

I will give Martz credit for the offensive skilled position and play calling of those guys. However he had an OL given to him and never really improved it over the course of his time as head coach. He was inventive and did a lot with the players given to him Bruce, Holt, Faulk, and Warner all given to him. He never was much of a balanced head coach IMO. The OL, TE, defense, and ST were all suspect under Martz. I believe Martz is where he should be as offensive coordinator.
    Now can you imagine Linehan as head coach assembling a balanced team OL, TE, skilled offensive players, defense, and ST and then having Martz as the offensive coordinator. With Haslett running the Defense. That would be interesting to see. The way Haslett and Martz both get so passionate and Linehan is so layed back and calm. That would be intersting because Linehan and Martz are both good at runnning an offense but have totaly different philosophies.
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -07-08-2007 at 12:37 PM.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

thats martz for dismantaling our defense, we are still recovering from that. lol okay but in all seriousness i enjoyed watching martz coach, lol the one thing i really remember about him is in seattle, when we beat the seahawks in overtime with the long pass to shawn McDonald, Martz was doin a little sideline dance, does anyone else remember that?
    Built RAM tough

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Martz' gone.... GOOD RIDDANCE!!! Mad Mike was Vermeil's OC. Had Vermeil Stayed, the Rams chances for a dynasty may have been greater.
    Mike Martz is more suited as an Offensive Coordinator, which is what he is now with the Detroit lions, as a Head Coach he is too one dimensional, his only concern being matters with the offense. Remember all the needless timeouts?
    Martz had his shot, almost took us all the way, to lose in the Super bowl it's hard to get back afterwards. If he had beaten the Patriots in SB XXXVI He might have become a national hero.
    That lost was the beginning of the end for Martz, which finally took its toll the last season with Rams as he battled health issues, while at the same time battling the front office.
    the Martz era CAME, CRASHED & BURNED... what a show!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Martz didn't draft Bulger. He aslo said Fitz was the best QB in his draft, if that's so and you're the only one who knows it, why take him higher when there's good players to be taken in front of him if you know he's gonna be around. His big QB mistake was not drafting Brady Quinn...Already said, great OC revolutionary even, but bad, bad head coach.

PHAT-MONEY Guest

Double post. pay no attention to this
    Last edited by PHAT-MONEY; -07-08-2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: double post

PHAT-MONEY Guest

we all know martz didint draft bulger. he brought him in in free agency when the saints released him in 2000 or 2001, can't remember. but the SJ thing is different I am not giving credit to mikle for SJ becoming an Elite Back, But he DRAFTED HIM,that is all I was saying. we all love mike, just admit it. lol

pm out

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Martz has an unbeleivable nack for evaluating young talent. Every major offensive pick that he has made has produced. That is something that the vast majority of coaches in the NFL can't say. Kevin Curtis, Shaun McDonald, Alex Barron, and Cluade Terrel are all promising, productive starters who were drafted by Martz and Jackson has turned into one of the league's best backs. I think he deserves all the credit in the world for that.

Defense on the other hand.....well......I honestly don't think Martz gave a crap about defense (or turnovers that matter).:x

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Martz has an unbeleivable nack for evaluating young talent. Every major offensive pick that he has made has produced.
    Does Trung Canidate qualify as a major offensive pick?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I couldn't be happier that he's gone. In spite of the times where he looked like a genious, I could swear he wasn't all there. Those idiotic challenges stand out the most to me, with his cavalier attitude about turnovers a close second. They drove me crazy. It was unbelievable.

Had he remained the OC instead of becoming the Head Coach, we likely would be the team of the decade instead of New England. So that's how much I miss him.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
  2. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM