Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

Mike Martz is perhaps the greatest offensive mind of his day. Yes, he was better as an offensive coordinator than he was as a head coach, but people forget how good this team was even when he was head coach. Remember we had a 56-36-0 record with him at the helm. We won a lot of games in those days, and even if we got the ball on our own 5 yard line with 1:00 left of play down by 6 points, it would be the opposing defenders giving each other nervous looks. Man, those games were exciting.

There isn't a coach alive who hasn't made calls I'd question, so I'm not going to nitpick about whether he was too conservative here or shouldn't have wasted a challenge there. The only thing I'd really condemn Martz for was his role in bringing in Marmie. IMO, that pretty much ruined our chances of staying competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedArcher7
    His big QB mistake was not drafting Brady Quinn...Already said, great OC revolutionary even, but bad, bad head coach.
    C'mon, he isn't even head coach in Detroit, and it seems pretty clear that Matt Millen makes the decisions in Mo-town.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -07-09-2007 at 07:00 AM.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Anyone that has read any of my posts regarding MM know how I feel about him as a HC. He sucked, pure and simple. IMHO. However, that being said (again) I will say that it was a thrill-a-minute ride watching him air it out, no matter when or where. He was (is) really nothing more than a reincarnation of the old San Diego Charger's Air Coryell. Same ideas, really. Get a lot of movement before the snap, create confusion and create as many mismatches on offense as you can. As with the Chargers of old, it was fun to watch and never boring. But it was maddening, to say the least, because it often gave the appearance of being somewhat "out-of-control". ...and the propensity to turn the ball over with regularity was often intolerable. Martz's ability to "see the whole picture" as it were, is pretty obvious in the struggles in rebuilding a defense in the post-Martz era and has already been well documented and noted here again.

...so, do I appreciate Mike Martz for bringing back some fun to the league? Sure, I'll give him props for that. I'll also give him credit for being an important part of our Superbowl victory. But, at the same time, I still hold him responsible for losing one we should never have lost.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I wonder if Martz is jealous now that Steven is a stud and we signed Bennett, McMichael and Hall

RamsFanLSUMan is offline Registered User

I miss ole Mad Mike Martz

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Without Mike Martz, there never would have been a GSOT, nor a SB Championship, nor a 2nd trip to the finals.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    I wonder if Martz is jealous now that Steven is a stud and we signed Bennett, McMichael and Hall

I'm sure at this point he couldn't care less about who we signed, he knows once their contracts expire they'll play for him anyway. Not to mention that in a year or two he'll have the best tandem of WRs in the game in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

HUb is in the right of it, Martz made a lot of things possible and for that alone deserves to be remembered fondly.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

No man, It's everyone's mistake not drafting Brady Quinn, maybe you don't understand my love for him or the Irish. He knows what QB he wants and he'll probably make Stanton into a good one no doubt. He's not so good with running backs, Lamar Gordon, someone already mentioned Trung... But man the Brady Quinn thing was a joke, 31 teams made a mistake by letting him go, and now I get to be the only one in town with a Browns Jersey...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll admit that passing up Brady Quinn will bite many teams in the butt, however, if there's one thing we know, it's that Martz can turn any semi-accurate QB into a gunslinger that can throw for 250 against the top defense and with his eyes closed. The Lions did exactly as they needed to to become the lesser man's GSOT.
    They now have a very good journeyman in Kitna to train Stanton with Martz and one of the better trios of wideouts in the league. I mean Martz's system was able to turn Furrey into a Pro-Bowl caliber receiver. They're still lacking on defense, however, especially because of getting rid of Bly, so I doubt they're going to top 6 wins this season, but I could always be wrong as they do play a Dungy style of cover 2 and as long as they can get a few stops, then they could surprise.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think Martz could have made something out of Quinn, but there's no way the Lions should have passed on Calvin Johnson. I know, the cliche of Lions taking a receiver in the first, but Johnson was the top player in the draft. Martz will do more with Johnson at WR than he would have with Quinn at QB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Martz was and is today an egotistical idiot....what stands out to me more the than the wastefful timeouts...the meaningless challenges...the lack of balance and regatd for it...the disrerd for the impact of turnovers....was his greater than though attitude.....it cost us a superbowl....humm....the Pats are playing with 8 dbs.....why not adjust and run...not continue to sling away....obviously still hurting from that one...look at his lack of developing the talent.....his leading reciever was an ex db...lol.....way to take enm to the next level Martzy

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Let's take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

:x Wow, a fiery entrance. Welcome to the Clan, 1906. [I think...]

Bud Light Guy is offline Registered User

Jesus christ, is this thread starter serious?!?!?! Martz is the main reason why this team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 seasons. His retarded play calling and overall game management in crucial situations along with the TERRIBLE drafting, has set this team back at least 3 seasons.

I would like someone here to mention one guy that Martz drafted besides Bulger and Jackson that's even worth a crap. You could say Barron if only he'd stop committing penalities.
    Last edited by Bud Light Guy; -07-10-2007 at 01:06 PM.

ramstough39 is offline Registered User

Martz did always get on my nerves with his playcalling, as he did with you guys as well, when watching games. He had his great, shining, moments that will be instilled in my St. Louis Rams-loving heart for as long as I live. However, there were those moments that crushed me and got me into questioning what he was doing on every play in the portentous moments as his Rams HC career ended. The Panthers/Rams playoff game from 2004 still gets me all riled up when thinking about it, and leads to my own personal disdain for Steve Smith.

Ah, and sorry Clannies if that didn't make any sense whatsoever. It's 3:30 AM over here, and I'm excruciatingly tired. I rarely post on here, as that's obvious. (I've been more of a reader mostly.) I log in nearly every day to check out what you guys have to say which is always intriguing. However I just felt obligated to write a quick graph of my thoughts about our team's former head coach.
    Last edited by ramstough39; -07-10-2007 at 03:38 AM.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm sure at this point he couldn't care less about who we signed, he knows once their contracts expire they'll play for him anyway. Not to mention that in a year or two he'll have the best tandem of WRs in the game in Calvin Johnson and Roy Williams.
    Hmm, I'll give you that CJ will be good but Roy Williams is Mr. Inconsistent. He may have the best receiver in a few years, but I don't think you can say he'll have the best tandem with any certainty. Why would any of those FAs sign with him anyway? SJ didn't like Martz and Martz did nothing to help SJ, so I can't imagine Jackson wanting to run to the guy who will limit his touches. The Lions offense isn't going to be anything great in the foreseeable future. I think Martz will either have a HC job by then or he'll have just gotten fired as a scape goat on a bad team.

Oh, and I think you're nuts if you don't think Martz still cares about this team.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
  2. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM