Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

Ladies and gentlemen, the Flat Earth Society has once again been called together. The topic at hand (the same topic as always) is "how ignorant of Mike Martz' value to the Rams can we show ourselves to be"? The floor has been opened with some excellent examples.
    Martz was and is today an egotistical idiot
    what stands out to me more the than the wastefful timeouts...the meaningless challenges...the lack of balance and regatd for it...the disrerd for the impact of turnovers
    ...was the 3 division titles, 2 conference titles, 1 NFL title, 3 straight years of the greatest offense in football, the winningest Rams coach not named George Allen. Oh, I'm sorry. I interrupted. Go ahead.
    was his greater than though attitude.....it cost us a superbowl....humm....the Pats are playing with 8 dbs.....why not adjust and run...not continue to sling away.
    Martz is the main reason why this team hasn't made the playoffs in 3 seasons. His retarded play calling in crucial situations along with the TERRIBLE drafting, has set this team back at least 3 seasons.
    I would like someone here to mention one guy that Martz drafted that's even worth a $hit.
    You asked for it. As OC, Torry Holt. As HC, Brian Young, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett, Tommy Polley, Jerametrius Butler, Chris Massey, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Kevin Curtis, Scott Shanle, Steven Jackson, Brandon Chillar, Alex Barron, Ron Bartell, OJ Atogwe, Richie Incognito, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Madison Hedgecock. Every year roughly 250 players are drafted. There's only 1,696 spots available of which nearly every spot is occupied by players who had the spot the year before. To even make the team, much less contribute as each of these did makes them worth a dollar sign hit.
    SJ didn't like Martz and Martz did nothing to help SJ
    And with that I close this session of the Flat Earth Society's seminar, "how ignorant of Mike Martz' value to the Rams can we show ourselves to be". I call it a great success, as we have done a brilliant job of showing just how ignorant we are of Mike Martz' value to the Rams. Give yourselves a big pat on the back. Well done.

"I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Let's take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

Nice one Roy! A good, intelligent, and witty reply of class rather than crass.

:r I appreciate your post as I appreciate Coach Martz' historical, positive contributions to the Rams.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Does Trung Canidate qualify as a major offensive pick?
    Yep, and he produced when called apon, too. He didn't become the heir apparent to Marshall but I don't think many people expected him to.

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    was the 3 division titles, 2 conference titles, 1 NFL title, 3 straight years of the greatest offense in football, the winningest Rams coach not named George Allen. Oh, I'm sorry. I interrupted. Go ahead.
    When he left, he still had the best winning % out of any coach in the NFL.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    Yep, and he produced when called apon, too. He didn't become the heir apparent to Marshall but I don't think many people expected him to.
    Well, as a first round pick I've got to believe the Rams expected Canidate to be more than a just a situational back. He didn't exactly light it up when called upon in his last year with the team and his career only lasted 4 years, but we digress. Your point about Martz deserving credit for his offensive talent evaluation skills was very valid.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen, the Flat Earth Society has once again been called together. The topic at hand (the same topic as always) is "how ignorant of Mike Martz' value to the Rams can we show ourselves to be"? The floor has been opened with some excellent examples. ...was the 3 division titles, 2 conference titles, 1 NFL title, 3 straight years of the greatest offense in football, the winningest Rams coach not named George Allen. Oh, I'm sorry. I interrupted. Go ahead. You asked for it. As OC, Torry Holt. As HC, Brian Young, Adam Archuleta, Ryan Pickett, Tommy Polley, Jerametrius Butler, Chris Massey, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Kevin Curtis, Scott Shanle, Steven Jackson, Brandon Chillar, Alex Barron, Ron Bartell, OJ Atogwe, Richie Incognito, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Madison Hedgecock. Every year roughly 250 players are drafted. There's only 1,696 spots available of which nearly every spot is occupied by players who had the spot the year before. To even make the team, much less contribute as each of these did makes them worth a dollar sign hit. And with that I close this session of the Flat Earth Society's seminar, "how ignorant of Mike Martz' value to the Rams can we show ourselves to be". I call it a great success, as we have done a brilliant job of showing just how ignorant we are of Mike Martz' value to the Rams. Give yourselves a big pat on the back. Well done.
    Where does Vermeil belong in those greatest show on turf years? All those wins go directly to Martz for some reason?

Martz helped the Rams by drafting Steven Jackson but I don't think he helped SJ's progression. IMHO Martz was a little to loyal to Faulk when he should have given Jackson full reign over the rushing game sooner then he did.

If you showed the whole list of people drafted it wouldn't look very spectacular. I also think you're once again giving him too much credit for who he bought in. In his first few months here the unknown Martz was already directly responsible for Torry Holt being drafted? Even on the HC list, which I'm guessing Martz wasn't in the drafting by himself anyway, there's only like 7 or 8 guys on that list that I really liked.

With all that being said, I like Martz. He bought us our most exciting years as Rams fans and is a big reason our current QB is so sucessful. The detractors don't give him nearly enough credit and the protractors (i.e. you and others who call him a "genius") give him too much credit. In the past couple years it was a circus with the front office and his presence had gotten very stale in St. Louis and it was time for him to move on. I wish him the best of luck and hope he gets another HC job (outside of the nfcw)

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by helorm341 View Post
    Where does Vermeil belong in those greatest show on turf years? All those wins go directly to Martz for some reason?
    Well, we didn't do that well under Vermeil before Martz came aboard, and Martz was gone after that 1999 season. Sure Dick was an important part of that Super Bowl run, but our success continued after his departure.

If you showed the whole list of people drafted it wouldn't look very spectacular. I also think you're once again giving him too much credit for who he bought in. In his first few months here the unknown Martz was already directly responsible for Torry Holt being drafted? Even on the HC list, which I'm guessing Martz wasn't in the drafting by himself anyway, there's only like 7 or 8 guys on that list that I really liked.
    We had our share of busts, but like you said Martz wasn't the only one responsible either. The biggest problem was the fact that our defensive prospects weren't panning out, and I doubt Martz had that much to do with scouting defensive prospects.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I find the whole Martz phenomenon interesting.

Change 3 or 4 plays in the Super Bowl and the Rams beat New England. Martz would then be a Head Coach who lead his team to a championship with a 17-2 record. If that happens, maybe the 2002 season goes a little better (no 0-5 hangover, perhaps). Maybe, when the GSOT slows down, the fans are more forgiving (even if the media is not). Maybe, he's still the Rams' head coach, building another contending team.

Not an entirely absurd premise. 3 or 4 plays... Change them, and Martz is in the discussion of "Greatest Rams Head Coaches," instead of a punch line.

Funny how a career can come down to a few moments.

Epilogue

Mike Martz: "I really liked that last post."

Scott Norwood: "Yes, it was excellent."

Bill Buckner: "One of the best I've ever read."

Gerry Cooney: "Reminds me of that..."

Mike Martz: "Ger--"

Gerry Cooney: "Yeah, coach?"

Mike Martz: "Let it go."

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am....

Stuck in the middle. On one hand, I know he played a huge role in bringing us the GSOT offensive bonanza, and he has the highest win %. By the same token, I also know what all he did wrong. Here's the rub:

With him as HC, Bulger either played hurt, or missed significant playing time. In the season since his departure, Bulger has his first complete season. With Martz, Jackson's numbers are less than spectacular, he gets mad at the world, yada, yada, yada, and now that Martz is gone, he has his breakout season.

When wondering where we would be if he was still here, I can see the thrills, the chills. I see Bulger in a wheelchair with a dribble bib and diaper on sipping from a sippy cup. I see Jackson flipping the team off and demanding to go where someone will, "give him the damn ball". I also see him bringing in a set of fresh faces that carries on the mindblowing offensive tradition, as well as a carousel of defensive players that just can't get the job done.

Messed up, ain't it? Can't love him, can't hate him. Can't live with him, can't shoot him.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

I have been a diehard Rams fan my entire life.

I will credit Martz for orchestrating the most exciting football I have ever witnessed from my beloved Rams.

IMO, he has to be ranked right at or near the top of Rams head coaches in my lifetime as a Rams fan.

The thing that I find absolutely fascinating, whenever Martz is discussed, is how much credit he is given for the Rams victory in SB34 and how much blame he is given for the Rams loss in SB36.

In my opinion - he deserved neither.

LETS GO RAMS

:l

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Hmm, I'll give you that CJ will be good but Roy Williams is Mr. Inconsistent. He may have the best receiver in a few years, but I don't think you can say he'll have the best tandem with any certainty. Why would any of those FAs sign with him anyway? SJ didn't like Martz and Martz did nothing to help SJ, so I can't imagine Jackson wanting to run to the guy who will limit his touches. The Lions offense isn't going to be anything great in the foreseeable future. I think Martz will either have a HC job by then or he'll have just gotten fired as a scape goat on a bad team.

Oh, and I think you're nuts if you don't think Martz still cares about this team.

How can anybody be consistent on a team like Detroit? But I guarantee you the Rams would rather not see him coming. Particularly now that he has serious help on the other side of the field. Don't be suprised if he finds himself on the probowl team this year and Johnson the rookie of the year, if their QBs can stay upright.

I was being somewhat sarcastic, but on the other hand... not. But I certainly was not talking about SJ because it'll cost Detroit two first rounders should the Rams be fool enough to treat him like Eric Dickerson.

blood85 is offline Registered User

He was a nice coordinator, but man, he made some jacked up calls and then some....like costing us the SB against N.E.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Let's take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    ...IMO, he has to be ranked right at or near the top of Rams head coaches in my lifetime as a Rams fan.

LETS GO RAMS

Coach Martz up there with the top of Rams coaches in my lifetime too as a Rams fan!

:bash: Yes siree, along with Coach Allen, Coach Robinson, Coach Knox. That is some powerful company!

Now as for SB XXXIV, I do give MM a lot of credit for that sweet victory. :r

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Well, we didn't do that well under Vermeil before Martz came aboard, and Martz was gone after that 1999 season. Sure Dick was an important part of that Super Bowl run, but our success continued after his departure.

We had our share of busts, but like you said Martz wasn't the only one responsible either. The biggest problem was the fact that our defensive prospects weren't panning out, and I doubt Martz had that much to do with scouting defensive prospects.
    And that success was because of Martz? Vermeil built that team that continued into 2000-2001. To give Martz all the credit for the GSOT years is just ridiculous to me. Vermeil was responsible for all the players on that team. Especially the most important one, Warner. In fact, if it wasn't for Vermeil, we would have almost definetly gone out and gotten another QB when Trent Green got injured. Without Vermeil giving Warner the chance after Green gets injured we may not even have a trip to the superbowl. Let alone two and one victory.

rams70 is offline Registered User

Well said,Fortyninerhater, weel said. You are 100% on the money in your evaluation of Martz - excellent OC, but head coach, not so much..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
  2. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM