Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
  1. #61
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Wow, I will never understand some of you. When you have a high powered, high risk high reward offense like the one Martz constructed, turnovers are going to happen. You don't want to get on your players....

    Oh nevermind. Let's just bash the ****e out of the man who dictated our Super Bowl win.

    Honestly, I think most of you aren't upset at Martz for what you say on here....but you are upset at him for benching Warner and going with Bulger.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-25-2008 at 04:00 PM.


  2. #62
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Wow, I will never understand some of you. When you have a high powered, high risk high reward offense like the one Martz constructed, turnovers are going to happen. You don't want to get on your players....

    Oh nevermind. Let's just bash the ****e out of the man who dictated our Super Bowl win.
    Who bashed him? Did he win a Superbowl with this team as a head coach? I think I pointed out exactly what the problem is. He was a great offensive co-ordinator but a bad coach. You cant ignore the facts. Even the year the Rams went to the Superbowl they were -10 in turnover ratio. From 1999 with Vermiel the Rams were +5, the very next year with Martz they went to -10. 2001 they were -10,2002 -19, 2003 +7,2004 -24, 2005 -10. Not a very good track record as head coach for getting more turnovers then losing. I'm not bashing Martz the coordinator I'm bashing Martz the coach. I think Martz was great without all the power but terrible with it.

    As for the Warner Bulger thing go through my thread of posts Warner needed to go so thats not my position on Martz.
    Just Fix It

  3. #63
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    So turnovers is the only thing to judge a coach on huh? Not how many points you put up, or wins, or playoff appearances. Just turinovers.

    Gotchya.

    And just for fun, look up Vermeil's record pre-Martz then post-Martz.

  4. #64
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So turnovers is the only thing to judge a coach on huh? Not how many points you put up, or wins, or playoff appearances. Just turinovers.

    Gotchya.

    And just for fun, look up Vermeil's record pre-Martz then post-Martz.
    No I would say Superbowl Victories is a good way to judge a coach. How disciplined the players are is a good way to judge a coach. So you think Martz was a great head coach? Granted I would still rather have him over Loserhan but Martz was not a great head coach. Great coordinator yes coach no. Just for fun I know Vermiel record before Martz. Like I said Martz with all the power bad Martz as coordinator good. Lets give Martz all the credit for 1999 I guess.
    Just Fix It

  5. #65
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Yes, I do think he was a great HC. I loved the fact that every week I had confidence that we could play with anyone at anytime. That's what Martz brought to the table for me. maybe not for you, and that's your opinion and I respect that. However, to me he was the best HC this organization ever had and I'll stand up for him everytime.

    And just for the record, that +5 year that Vermeil had in turnovers? Every single play that year was called by Mike Martz.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.

  6. #66
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Yes, I do think he was a great HC. I loved the fact that every week I had confidence that we could play with anyone at anytime. That's what Martz brought to the table for me. maybe not for you, and that's your opinion and I respect that. However, to me he was the best HC this organization ever had and I'll stand up for him everytime.
    While I also respect your opinion I also think a great head coach would have won two more Superbowls with the talent we had. I love being able to compete with teams it was great. What I hated was when we could have beaten teams at times we were too busy turning the ball over to do so. We will have to agree to dis-agree but I loved him when he didnt have so much power. Also saying he is the best Rams coach ever really isnt saying much. On top of that he took over a team that just won a Superbowl with tons of talent and never won another again.
    Just Fix It

  7. #67
    txramsfan's Avatar
    txramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Poplar Bluff, MO
    Age
    50
    Posts
    7,266
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Well, to his defense.....that defense in 1999 went way south in 2000. He blew it up, and constructed a NFC Championship defense in 2001. Then, teams started cherry picking the D and it was tough to get back. He was also salary cap strapped after the Super Bowl. Players like Bruce, Warner, Faulk and Holt demanded big money and deservedly so. However, you only have so much cap room that when you pay a Warner....you can't pay a Kevin Carter or Dre Bly or Grant Wistrom or London Fletcher. No bigger lose has ever happened to a St. Louis Ram team than when the Rams couldn't pay London Fletcher.

    He did dictate a fantastic comeback against the Patriots, that 4th QTR was brilliant. He did try to run the ball with Faulk early but the Patriots shut them down. It wasn't his fault the refs gave the Patriots an extra play on that last drive to lose the game.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -01-25-2008 at 04:41 PM.

  8. #68
    moloch41's Avatar
    moloch41 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,617
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Offensive superiority aside, Martz put on far, far better press conferences that Linebore.

  9. #69
    jjigga3000's Avatar
    jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,393
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    All I have to say is the grass aint always greener on the other side. He is and was a lot better coach than Linehan is. I remember a couple of season when we had injuries with Martz, but we still came out and performed. Linehan is a terrible coach.

  10. #70
    live4ramin's Avatar
    live4ramin is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The Missouri Low Country
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    MM used Warner up. Linehan just wasted Bulger, which is the greatest shame.

    This has been a classic thread. HOF caliber.
    That's the sound of hype and self promotion. Get ready.

  11. #71
    RamsSB99's Avatar
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mo
    Posts
    1,131
    Rep Power
    23

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    I am not a Warner supporter I like Warner and wish he could have stayed as a backup but he had to go because he still wanted a shot at starting and IMO Warner needed time away from starting because of the battering he took in Martz offense. I am glad we switched to Bulger when we did.

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    However, to me he was the best HC this organization ever had and I'll stand up for him everytime.
    I don't know how you can call him the best Rams HC ever when he did not win one Superbowl as the HC. I can see how you can call him the best Rams OC ever because of the impressive stats this team put up from 1999-2001.

    Martz was not a good HC IMO. He was a great OC. He kept the offense going and special teams and defense sputtering for the majority of his HC career with the Rams. He hired Marmie and stuck with him. He also chose some horrible people in the draft Couch, Candidate, Shepherd, Polley, Hargrove, Lewis, Kennedy, etc..
    Last edited by RamsSB99; -01-25-2008 at 09:42 PM.

  12. #72
    Drew's Avatar
    Drew is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Milford Haven
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    okay but in all seriousness i enjoyed watching martz coach, lol the one thing i really remember about him is in seattle, when we beat the seahawks in overtime with the long pass to shawn McDonald, Martz was doin a little sideline dance, does anyone else remember that?

    ah, first there was "the catch",then there was "the tackle"
    and the trilogy was nicely round off with "THE DANCE"....thats a memory that will live with me till i take my last breath!...funny as f......

  13. #73
    Drew's Avatar
    Drew is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Milford Haven
    Posts
    512
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    whatever your viewpoint on Martz, i dont think theres one Rams Fan on earth ,who isn`t sure glad we had him and proud of what he helped create,a glorious period in our history that we will never forget!!! (if he was responsible for breaking it up or not!)

  14. #74
    rammiser's Avatar
    rammiser is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,999
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Well, to his defense.....that defense in 1999 went way south in 2000. He blew it up, and constructed a NFC Championship defense in 2001. Then, teams started cherry picking the D and it was tough to get back. He was also salary cap strapped after the Super Bowl. Players like Bruce, Warner, Faulk and Holt demanded big money and deservedly so. However, you only have so much cap room that when you pay a Warner....you can't pay a Kevin Carter or Dre Bly or Grant Wistrom or London Fletcher. No bigger lose has ever happened to a St. Louis Ram team than when the Rams couldn't pay London Fletcher.

    He did dictate a fantastic comeback against the Patriots, that 4th QTR was brilliant. He did try to run the ball with Faulk early but the Patriots shut them down. It wasn't his fault the refs gave the Patriots an extra play on that last drive to lose the game.
    I do 100% agree that when we let Fletcher go it was a huge mistake. He is still a high level performer at LB. I also do agree we were jobbed by the refs in the Superbowl and you're right that wasnt Martz fault. I just watched it again this morning on the NFL network and that sinking feeling came back. I look at this team right now and see a team that could have had what the Pats have yet we went completely the opposite direction with bad drafts and bad coaching and a bad front office. As much as I thought it was time for Martz to go I wish he had stayed now. Loserhan is terrible far more terrible than Martz ever was.
    Just Fix It

  15. #75
    PHAT-MONEY Guest

    Re: lets take a moment for Mike Martz appreciation!!

    i'll be honest, i wanted Kurt to start more than anything, he really played a pretty good game an NY, he got a concussion cause the line played like crap, i think kurt would have led us to the superbowl. An experienced SB MVP and Leauge MVP over a 3rd year guy.. i will take warner every time over the 3rd year guy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM
  2. -01-25-2008, 02:00 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Mike Martz' fall from grace
    By ramsbruce in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -09-23-2007, 05:52 PM
  2. Martz does things his own way--ESPN Insider
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -07-05-2005, 08:54 AM
  3. Hadley on Martz (long and pretty good)
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: -12-28-2004, 07:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •