Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Lions Beat Writer: Detroit wants Furrey in the slot, will look at Curtis

Interview with Lions beat writer Tom Kowalski on WDFN-AM Detroit reveals a possible Lions strategy for this offseason. Everything is paraphrased by the blogger except that which is in quotes.

Q: That's true, but they'll be happy with Roy Williams at No. 1 and Mike Furrey at No. 2, won't they?

A: No they won't. I think they should consider Johnson, but I don't think they will do that. It couldn't hurt Matt Millen's reputation any more than it's already been damaged. What are they going to say, "This is a real public relations nightmare now."

Q: Make Joe Cullen the head coach.

A: "There you go. You just topped it."

Furrey is a slot guy to them. The only reason he went to No. 2 was because the other guys were screwing up so bad they didn't have much of a choice. They want to sign him as a slot receiver. He wants to be paid No. 2 money. I think they want Kevin Curtis, the Rams' receiver who has speed. As good as Furrey was, he didn't scare anybody. They do need another receiver, but I don't think they take one in the draft.

Q: Caller defends Mike Furrey as a No. 2 receiver. How can they say he's not a No. 2 with 98 catches and 1,000 yards in a crappy offense?

A: For those 98 catches he averaged 11.1 yards per catch. You have to go deep in that offense. They want someone on the other side of the field who can make big plays. They didn't score a lot of points in this offense. I'm telling you what they're thinking. He believes he needs more speed on the outside. That's why I think they're going to go after Kevin Curtis.
    Always good to take anything a beat writer says with a grain of salt, but this is what I'd do if I was Mike Martz on the Lions coaching staff. If Curtis hits free agency, don't be surprised to see Detroit make a push for him as a starter.

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Lions Beat Writer: Detroit wants Furrey in the slot, will look at Curtis

Well if they get Curtis and keep up this pace in a year or two they'll have a whole roster of Ex-Rams.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This doesn't surprise me at all.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Who coaches this team? Is it Marinelli or Martz? Even when I would see the Lions play this year, the cameras always focused on Martz on the sidelines, not Marinelli. Martz seems like he's running the show there, bringing in all his guys. You would think Marinelli would be trying to get Defense.
    Last edited by BigGameMN; -01-13-2007 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    You would think Marinelli would be trying to get Defense.
    I'm sure they'll try to get quite a bit of defense. There have been rumors for a few weeks about Simeon Rice going to Detroit if he gets cut by Tampa.

Rambos is offline Registered User

yep we seen this coming, but if Martz moves on who knows. Maybe Martz will get a HC job and have other needs.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Its all a cap issue guys. Is detroit better off with furrey in the slot and curtis on the outside? Sure. Does it make sense for them to spend the money on another receiver when furrey caught 90 plus balls for 1000 yards, they have roy williams and more importantly, have tons of other holes on their team, not likely.

On the other hand, one of the reasons detroit has been so bad for so long is the quality of their cap related decisions. If the question is will martz push for him, of course the answer is yes. Martz will say "The best defense is a good offense, lets build from strength" which can only help martz produce a better offense, and thus improve his chances of getting another head coaching job, regardless of the overall impact on the lions team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Does it make sense for them to spend the money on another receiver when furrey caught 90 plus balls for 1000 yards, they have roy williams and more importantly, have tons of other holes on their team, not likely.
    GC, you make it sound like signing Curtis is going to cripple their ability to address other needs, but that's simply not the case.

In all likelihood, any contract signed by Curtis would be back-loaded, the signing bonus will be pro-rated, and additional bonus money will be incorporated as roster bonuses in later years. So the year one cap hit should not be significant, meaning the Lions will still be able to address other positions.

Besides, Furrey isn't under contract for next season, and supposedly wants #2 money. If I'm going to sign someone to #2 receiver money, it's going to be Curtis instead of Furrey.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i didnt realize furrey wasnt under contract. However nick, i would say that in my view, cap management is like your own personal finances. Watch out for the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves. Its not just the huge signing bonuses that are problematic down the road, its the group of overpays. I wouldnt pay furrey big money to bring him back, but if the detroit contract isnt significantly more money than the rams offer, why is he going to leave? I think we will try to keep him so i guess we disagree on what you think the kind of offer it will take to pry him loose.

Furrey had to be making minimal money this year. Thus, they are certainly looking at an increased cap cost at the receiver position. Even if furrey were to come back as a #3, his cap would still go up quite a bit from where he was last year.

Any budget is a function of all the components and i think if they can sign curtis for the same money it would cost to sign furrey, i agree completely they would be better off with curtis. Paying them both doesnt make sense to me given the holes on the rest of their team. I also assume this means that they are giving up on mike williams, who has got to still be cap pricey and cause some kind of acceleration if they cut him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel