Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Lions coach Jim Schwartz on OC Linehan: 'I think he's done a great job'

Detroit Lions coach Jim Schwartz on offensive coordinator Scott Linehan: 'I think he's done a great job'
    By Anwar S. Richardson | arichar2@mlive.com
    on December 27, 2012 at 4:13 PM, updated December 27, 2012 at 5:19 PM

ALLEN PARK -- The Detroit Lions (4-11) are expected to make several changes this offseason after facing the Chicago Bears (9-6) in Sunday's regular season finale.

Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's job appears safe.

The Lions have been plagued by slow starts and inconsistent offensive play this season, but coach Jim Schwartz blames turnovers and injuries, not Linehan, for Detroit's struggles to score regularly this season.

"I think he's done a great job," Schwartz said. "Again, particularly the ball security stuff (has been a problem). An offensive coordinator's job is to put guys in position to make plays. I think that over the course of the season, we've been in a good position to make plays. The fact that we've still been able to continue to get the ball to Calvin (Johnson).

"It's one thing when all those other guys were healthy, and you have a lot of other options. A lot of times people will say, 'Hey, you forget about Calvin a little bit when you have all those options.' Well, we really haven't. Defenses have known that, too, and they've taken an approach of trying to take him out of the game plan, but Scott's done a good job of creating ways to still get him the football. Matt (Stafford has) done a good job of delivering the football."

Detroit's overall offense is currently ranked second in the NFL; the passing game is ranked first; Detroit is ranked second in total first downs (No.1 in passing first downs) and seventh in third-down efficiency.

Schwartz's endorsement might be good news for Linehan, but the coordinator was not worried when about his job security when asked after today's practice.

"Coaching is not a stable profession," Linehan said. "If you're worried about saving your job instead of doing your job, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I think the biggest thing is getting ready to finish this season strong and focus on what we got to do to flip the script next year."

Linehan is happy with his team's offensive production, but believes turnovers and injuries have been the biggest issues.

Detroit has fumbled 21 times (13 lost) this season compared to 20 fumbles (seven lost) last season. Stafford has thrown 16 interceptions this season, the same number he threw in 2011.

The Lions lost receivers Nate Burleson, Titus Young and Ryan Broyles to season-ending injuries this year. Detroit also hoped running back Jahvid Best would be cleared for contact, but he missed this season due to a previous concussion injury.

"We got to healthy," Linehan said. "That's got to be one place to start. We've watched all the cut-ups, and we've looked at it again, we make assessments of where we were. To me, the difference in this year, going through 15 games, that is different from last year was ... we got find a way to stay healthy and go back to where we were from a turnover standpoint. I think the turnovers have been the biggest difference.

"The interceptions are the same. We probably have seven more lost fumbles than we did last year. You're not going to win games in this league not at least keeping the turnovers at minimum, but having games when you have two or three turnovers and losing the turnover battle. You're losing possessions and giving other teams opportunities, and that's not a good mix. That's going to be critical for this game."

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Lions coach Jim Schwartz on OC Linehan: 'I think he's done a great job'

I think Schwartz is on the hot seat. The poor record this season combined with the lack of discipline both by him and some of his players can't help his cause. If he goes Linehan will follow to the unemployment line.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Obviously as a head coach, Linehan couldn't cut it, but IMO he's a brilliant offensive mind. Watching the 2006 Rams offense was just plain fun.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Obviously as a head coach, Linehan couldn't cut it, but IMO he's a brilliant offensive mind. Watching the 2006 Rams offense was just plain fun.
    Good point, Mike. I remember the Rams offense that year featured a lot of passes to Jax along with a good solid game plan.

Scoot was a heckuva OC...I just wish that he could have been a decent HC.

WHAT SAY YE?

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

So in retrospect, Linehan is another Norv Turner? It's too bad our FO was TERRIBLE during his tenure as an HC.