moklerman Guest

Lions sign QB Shaun King

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Lions sign QB Shaun King

By LARRY LAGE, AP Sports Writer
    March 3, 2006

ALLEN PARK, Mich. (AP) -- The Detroit Lions signed Shaun King to a one-year contract Friday, adding quarterback depth and perhaps competition for Joey Harrington.

King did not play in the NFL after being released by the Arizona Cardinals a year ago following a three-game stint during the 2004 season, his sixth in the NFL.

His best season was in 2000 when he started every game for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, throwing 18 touchdowns and 13 interceptions, a year after they advanced to the NFC championship game with him at quarterback.

In Detroit, under former Tampa Bay assistant Rod Marinelli, King will have a chance to be the veteran backup the Lions need behind Harrington and in front of second-year pro Dan Orlovsky.

"He's a talented football player who had a good workout for us last fall and again yesterday," Lions Chief Operating Officer Tom Lewand said Friday. "It's an opportunity for him to come in and compete. We'll see where it goes. It provides depth and competition to the position."

King was 15-10, including a 1-2 mark in the playoffs, from 1999-2003 with the Buccaneers. He started two of three games in 2004 for the Cardinals before failing to land with an NFL team last season. King worked out for the Lions last year, but was not signed.

Lewand also said the Lions have tendered one-year contracts to four restricted free agents: defensive tackle Cory Redding, safety Terrence Holt, and linebacker James Davis and tight end Casey FitzSimmons. The Lions did not offer a deal to offensive tackle Victor Rogers, who was a restricted free agent. They also cut offensive guard David Loverne.

moklerman Guest

Re: Lions sign QB Shaun King

I think we can safely assume that Mike Martz has absoulutely no say in who the Lions get on offense. Between Harrington and King, if Martz makes a stud out of either one of them I'll be ready for a huge slice of crow. This is like Warner going to New York. I can't imagine Martz being thrilled at the prospect of either of these two guys pulling the trigger for his offense and he's going to just suffer through a year of it to prove that he's got what it takes to move on to a better job.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

camp fodder at worst
    third-stringer at best
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moklerman Guest

I don't think he's going to be starting but I doubt that Martz would even bring him in at all if it was his choice.

bruce_wannabe Guest

shaun king since 2001 as never been given the chance to start.... he is a capable backup

moklerman Guest

Didn't he get a start or two in 2004 for Arizona? I'm not knocking him in the sense that he's good enough to actually make a roster, which is light years ahead of 99% of the rest of us, but relatively speaking, he hasn't shown himself to be much of a qb so far.

RamJackson39 Guest

I'm still not sold on Harrington being a bust. I think he needs to get out of Detroit. That franchise has to be one of the worst in the NFL.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If anyone can make Harrington good, its Mike Martz

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Harrington isn't a bust yet and King wasn't Martz' choice. Camp competition is a good guess here.

Milan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_wannabe
    shaun king since 2001 as never been given the chance to start.... he is a capable backup
    He Started in 2000.