RAMble On is offline Registered User

Looking for the Brave and STRONG Stomach

In the spirit of our international forum’s homeland (Scotland)……The first person who cooks this up and eats a healthy portion gets a ClanRam T-shirt courtesy Ramble On.

Proof of the meal must be provided!:rolleyes:

Haggis
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

1 sheep stomach
    1 sheep liver
    1 sheep heart
    1 sheep tongue
    1/2 pound suet, minced
    3 medium onions, minced
    1/2 pound dry oats, toasted
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    12 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried ground herbs

Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.

Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard.

In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting.

In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours.
    Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.

Yield: Depends on how much you throw out from the get go

I still can’t believe people actually eat this stuff!

The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

MMMMMMMM, I take it us Haggis lovers are excluded :upset:

Just reading that recipe makes you hungry eh Dez?

I'm thinking about ClanRammers who have not had the misfortune of eating Haggis before. I have a feeling my money for the shirt is not in jepordy.

By the way, what is suet and can you buy Haggis in the nearby grocery store in Scotland?:rolleyes:
    The Spartan General-King Leonidas shouted "Molon Labe" to the Persian King Xerxes, when Xerxes offered to spare the lives of Leonidas, and his people if they would lay down their arms. The phrase literally means, "Come and get them"... At the time, the Persian army outnumbered the Spartans 600,000 to 300, or 2,000-1.

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    I'm willing to try Haggis,but damned if i'm going to try cooking it.

GO RAMS!STAY FOCUSED!WIN!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Originally posted by RAMble On
    Just reading that recipe makes you hungry eh Dez?

I'm thinking about ClanRammers who have not had the misfortune of eating Haggis before. I have a feeling my money for the shirt is not in jepordy.

By the way, what is suet and can you buy Haggis in the nearby grocery store in Scotland?:rolleyes:
    Of coures you can buy Haggis in all stores in Scotland. I look for the real spicy ones mmmmmmm

In fact, you have made my mouth water so much, I know what i am having for Sunday dinner mmmmm, AND, I will eat it when the game is on and was it down with a wee dram or two yum yum. :mask:

and anyway, whats all this knocking my national food ????

and another thing.

double standards ...... at least we know what we are eating when we have haggis, what are you guys eating when you order a bloody hamburger ................. all sorts of crap go in that thing :rolleyes: :confused: :wiseman:

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    I am one of those people who will try anything once,but how in the hell am I supposed to cook Haggis.I'm a Yank for Christ's sake.I would eat Haggis in a heartbeat,just give me a few beers first and then chow away.I think I would like it.

GO RAMS!STAY FOCUSED!WIN!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

LAFAN1968 is offline Registered User

That meal!!!!!!!!!

:upset: Hey, I've eaten alot of different cusines in my time:monkey meat, octupuss,some type of grub(military)and some w---n,but a man or woman has to have limitations! I'm choosing that one,food wise. I'm of welsh decent,Idont not see how people eat that. Just making it would cure you tasting it!:rolleyes: Living in Charleston,SC I've got to put up with panther peeps,so I'm going to last game here in December 23rd.Now I get to see them get beat twice,last one in person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO RAMS & The Embraceable Ewes

See ya,
    Scott

Originally posted by RamDez

Of coures you can buy Haggis in all stores in Scotland. I look for the real spicy ones mmmmmmm

In fact, you have made my mouth water so much, I know what i am having for Sunday dinner mmmmm, AND, I will eat it when the game is on and was it down with a wee dram or two yum yum. :mask:
    Anything tastes better with a wee dram or two.....with Haggis I think I would need a wee dram or 10!

I hope to travel to Europe one day and will definitely try Haggis. I am sure it is pretty good......I just won't think about what it is made of.

DODRAM is offline Registered User
    I love haggis , specially with tatties & neeps

I've a photo somewhere of Keith Miller eating Haggis when he was across playing for the Claymores, he enjoyed it . His brother didn't:upset:

GO CLAYMORES : DEAD BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

How was that Haggis Dez?

What would be the possibility of you or DODRAM sending some to me in an igloo?

That way I can buy myself the shirt!

the haggis was great, nice and spicey ..... and even better as I was eating it and watching the RAMS win