moloch41 is offline Registered User

Madison Hedgecock

I swear, I must have heard about a half dozen references by the annoucers during the Giants/Bucs game about how much Hedgecock has helped the Giants running game with his blocking. For a FB, that's a lot of mentions- espeicallly during a playoff game. I saw him take out a linebacker and open a hole for a huge TD early in the game and continue to lead the way on most of the Giants successful runs. One of the annoucers- I believe Joe Buck- said the Rams must have been out of their minds to let him go. Then I got to thinking about how everyone was saying that he really wasn't that good here. Of course, that couldn't have anything to do with the coaching staff or game scheming- could it? Nah, it must have been because of the offensive line injuries...because god knows the coaching is solid on this team- all problems lie in the execution and they never make bad personnel decisions.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: Madison Hedgecock

I brought up Hedgecock up in another post. The Giants were absolutely ecstatic to get him.

Seems like there was an emphasis or the softer aspects of the game in Ram-land and not on blocking. The fun stuff with X's and O's in an academic sense.

Academically, we'd have a very good record.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Then I got to thinking about how everyone was saying that he really wasn't that good here. Of course, that couldn't have anything to do with the coaching staff or game scheming- could it?
    It wasn't just fans saying it, as Jeff Gordon talked about Hedgecock and his disparity in play as well. But there are plenty of examples of guys playing differently for one team than another, either playing better or worse after a move. There are a number of reasons a player can succeed or fail in a different location, and I'm sure scheme is a large part of it. Linehan wanted a fullback that offered more versatility than Hedgecock could provide.

I don't fault this team for getting rid of Madison Hedgecock because I don't think Hedgecock is a great player. My problem with the move is when it happened, because I think it's incredibly risky to cut a guy during the regular season and expect someone else who hasn't been with the team to fill that role. If Linehan wanted to replace Hedgecock - which he obviously has for a while now considering they tried to in 2006 with Paul Smith - then bring another body in to go through camp and the preseason. It was a poor personnel move in the end, and I hope Linehan has learned his lesson.

But in trying to move forward and find a true fullback, I have to admit that as a Mountaineer fan I'd love to see the Rams look into Owen Schmitt. He may go too high for us to be able to justify it though.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Didn't we draft Leonard to be a FB?I don't think I want to see this team waste another draft pick on a FB we have way too many other needs!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Hedgecock didn't play extraordinarily for us, but from what I could tell he was still leaps and bounds ahead of Richard Owens. And Leonard isn't exactly wowing people with his blocking so far either; Brian's a willing blocker but not a consistently effective one. I felt like that move was just one in a larger pattern where we jettison one less-than-stellar player only to replace him with someone even less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by PARamfan View Post
    Didn't we draft Leonard to be a FB?I don't think I want to see this team waste another draft pick on a FB we have way too many other needs!

No, he was drafted as a backup to Jackson.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    No, he was drafted as a backup to Jackson.
    And, unfortunately, he has failed at that also in that Antonio Pittman is the back up to Jackson at this point. BTW doesn't B. Leonard remind ya'll of another RB/FB that we also took in the 2nd round--Robert Holcombe? Oh yeah, that worked out well didn't it?

WHAT SAY YE?

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But in trying to move forward and find a true fullback, I have to admit that as a Mountaineer fan I'd love to see the Rams look into Owen Schmitt. He may go too high for us to be able to justify it though.
    Au contraire, Mountie man. Peyton Hillis of the U of A Razorbacks will be the best FB in this draft and we should live so long to be able to pick him. Lots of D. McFadden's yards came from blocks thrown by Mr. Hillis.

WHAT SAY YE?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    And, unfortunately, he has failed at that also in that Antonio Pittman is the back up to Jackson at this point. BTW doesn't B. Leonard remind ya'll of another RB/FB that we also took in the 2nd round--Robert Holcombe? Oh yeah, that worked out well didn't it?

WHAT SAY YE?
    I wouldn't label him a failure as a back up running back. He's also an above average receiver out of the backfield. Like many of the other players on this team- this coaching staff failed at utilizing him correctly. Don't worry, if we get a real offensive coordinator or when Linehan is fired at the end of next season, you will see him put up better production.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It wasn't just fans saying it, as Jeff Gordon talked about Hedgecock and his disparity in play as well. But there are plenty of examples of guys playing differently for one team than another, either playing better or worse after a move. There are a number of reasons a player can succeed or fail in a different location, and I'm sure scheme is a large part of it. Linehan wanted a fullback that offered more versatility than Hedgecock could provide.

I don't fault this team for getting rid of Madison Hedgecock because I don't think Hedgecock is a great player. My problem with the move is when it happened, because I think it's incredibly risky to cut a guy during the regular season and expect someone else who hasn't been with the team to fill that role. If Linehan wanted to replace Hedgecock - which he obviously has for a while now considering they tried to in 2006 with Paul Smith - then bring another body in to go through camp and the preseason. It was a poor personnel move in the end, and I hope Linehan has learned his lesson.
    Agreed. The timing of the move was bad, and Owens as the replacement obviously didn't work out this year, and may never work out.

On the other hand yes Hedgecock had a nice game in the playoffs, but I watched a few Giants games this year where Hedge didn't play well and I could see why we wanted to try and replace him last year with Paul Smith.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE