Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manning startng

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Manning startng

ESPN.com news services

Rookie quarterback Eli Manning will make his first professional start when the Giants play the defending NFC champion Panthers in a preseason game Thursday.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin made the announcement Tuesday.

Manning is competing with veteran Kurt Warner for the starting job. Warner started last week's 34-24 victory over Kansas City.

"It's Eli's turn. Eli will go. He will start," Coughlin said. "The decision coming in is that they will compete for the job, and so therefore we're going to give them the opportunity for both of them to have a start. And this is Eli's opportunity.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Manning startng

So, you've got 2 players learning the system "competing." Yeah, Peyton started, but we'll see how Eli does.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

adarian_too is offline Registered User

It's hard for me to imagine that crybaby-look-a-like Eli commanding a set of toy soldiers let alone a football team at the moment.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Eli Manning will be one of the best QB's in the NFL very quickly. This kid has all the tools. He will be the Giants starting QB opening day versus Philadelphia.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    It's hard for me to imagine that crybaby-look-a-like Eli commanding a set of toy soldiers let alone a football team at the moment.
    You wouldn't have had to imagine it if you were able to see the first Giants preseason game. Manning showed a lot of poise and command during his time on the field.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jjsram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Eli Manning will be one of the best QB's in the NFL very quickly. This kid has all the tools. He will be the Giants starting QB opening day versus Philadelphia.
    Can I have the lotto numbers for Wednesday?
    I've read several articles stating that the competition is pretty even. So, if you think Manning looks incredible, what can you say about Warner?

That as a rookie, Manning has the same skills as a two time MVP and a Super Bowl winner. No knock on Warner, it's just that Eli is one of those QB's that come along once in a lifetime. It won't take Eli going through the Arena League, the NFLE, and bouncing around a few teams to establish himself.

Yodude is offline Registered User

And some people wonder why there are those that feel obligated to carry the torch for Warner. Maybe if it wasn't for the constant slams and snide remarks, Warner fans would be more inclined to let the topic rest.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    And some people wonder why there are those that feel obligated to carry the torch for Warner. Maybe if it wasn't for the constant slams and snide remarks, Warner fans would be more inclined to let the topic rest.
    I think you're overreacting if you took tex's comments as being slams or snide remarks about Kurt.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Man, I hate to even get into this, but Yo is right. Look, I want to let it die as much (if not more) than all those wearing the "move on Warnerites" buttons, but why is it the people who want Warner out of every post are so quick to rip him a new one after every completed pass from Manning.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I think you're overreacting if you took tex's comments as being slams or snide remarks about Kurt.
    Nick, I respect you and Tx both, and no knock on either of you, but...
    That as a rookie, Manning has the same skills as a two time MVP and a Super Bowl winner.
    It won't take Eli going through the Arena League, the NFLE, and bouncing around a few teams to establish himself.
    Guys, Warner is on another team, Bulger is the QB, why the need to keep beating a dead horse? If you're into beating dead horses, fine beat away, but don't be surprised and annoyed when people like Yo or Mok or Adarian or myself or any others who have felt a need to defend Warner (rightfully so mind you) come to his defense.

Guys, really I'm not trying to start anything, can't we just let it die?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Eli is a once in a lifetime thing? Well if you think about it, Kurt might just have been our once in lifetime thing!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Eli is a once in a lifetime thing? Well if you think about it, Kurt might just have been our once in lifetime thing!
    Outstanding point, Theodus....I've been a Rams fan since the early seventies, and after observing the ridiculous revolving door at the QB position on this team over the last 30 years, for me, Warner was a once in a lifetime thing (so far anyway). Does that mean I can't accept Bulger as our starter or will give up on the Rams? Absolutely not.

I don't think I'm overreacting at all. I didn't call anyone out, nor did I insult anyone. I have tons of respect for Tx, and I think he knows that. But, and I think Tx will back me on this, he does like to stir the pot and play devil's advocate now and again.

I simple said that as long as people take jabs at Warner, there will be those that will respond...and what's wrong with that? This is a forum is it not? This place would be pretty silly if everyone agreed with you all the time, would it not?

So, if saying what I said is overreacting, then OK, guilty as charged!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    why is it the people who want Warner out of every post are so quick to rip him a new one after every completed pass from Manning.
    You seriously think Tex's posts are ripping Warner a new one? Wow. :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    He might just have been, yes. I don't think we'll ever see another QB like Kurt Warner, not only because he's his own person with unique skills, but also because the teams he played on were once-in-a-lifetime teams. But that doesn't mean we'll never see another winning or efficient QB again.

I don't think I'm overreacting at all. I didn't call anyone out, nor did I insult anyone.
    You don't have to call someone out or insult someone to overreact, Yo.

I simple said that as long as people take jabs at Warner
    Again, this is where I'm dumbfounded. Perhaps you and Bison can explain it to me. Is Tex really taking a jab at Warner by saying Manning has the same skills as a two time MVP and a Super Bowl winner? If Manning wasn't equally as skilled as Warner right now, why would there even be a QB competition in NY? Coughlin has said they're even in the race, so that seems to imply they're equally skilled and proficient at running the offense as of right now.

Furthermore, how is Tex's comment about Eli not having to go through the Arena League, the NFLE, and a few teams to establish himself a jab? Isn't that exactly what Warner did before becoming big for the Rams? How is it a cut on a guy to bring up his history?

And finally, how is it a jab to Kurt for someone to say they believe Eli will be the opening day starter? Are we now not allowed to express any opinion that might not support Warner without it being labelled as an attack against him?

Not every comment that isn't pro-Warner is anti-Warner. It just isn't pro-Warner. And even then, I think it's a stretch to say there was any real insult in any of the three quotes bison pointed out.

There wasn't any slam on my part, but I knew it would be taken out of context. I didn't come to praise or bury Warner, just giving my impression of Eli Manning after watching him all through college.

Good luck to both.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    You wouldn't have had to imagine it if you were able to see the first Giants preseason game.
    Not necessarily. Seeing a pre-season game is unlikely to change how I am presently predisposed to see things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast