Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Is marijuana really that good?

I will readily admit, I have no first hand experience on the subject. The closest I've ever come to smoking pot was through second-hand smoke at concerts.

So I ask those with experience... is it really that good that it would compel a person making millions of dollars playing a game 6 months out of the year to jeopardize everything just for a few moments buzz?

Koren Robinson and Ricky Williams are merely the latest to fall into this category. You would think that they could put off their "hobby" until they hit their 30s and retire as very rich men.

Is the allure of the weed really that great?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Is marijuana really that good?

It's a product that is being "blown" out of proportion. It's a fricking plant. It goes in the ground and grows. You don't have to do ****e but water the dad gum thing. It's completely natural. It's not like you have to mix hops and barely to make it a product.

RamsRule1017 Guest

I agree that it is just a plant, however it can be just as dangerous as alcohol. I did not think it was really that good. I had to take a serious look at my life and then decide whether it was worth the price. As far as pro athletes using any kind of drug is beyond me. Their making millions and the choose to P*** it away on a substance that impairs judgement. The problem with marijuana is that unlike alcohol it only takes a little to really mess up your head and the buzz does not last as long, therefore you smoke more.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    It's a product that is being "blown" out of proportion. It's a fricking plant. It goes in the ground and grows. You don't have to do ****e but water the dad gum thing. It's completely natural. It's not like you have to mix hops and barely to make it a product.
    First, hops is natural, barley is natural. And well, sugar and yeast is good in moderation too. So back to nature I say.

is it really that good ...
    Second, let's not confuse the issues. It's not the weed that has them disorientated, it's the paraquat poison that the Revenuers have treated some weed with while trying to disenfranchise the simple farmer from his cultural heritage.

Is it any wonder you can't convince the Afghanis to give up their hemp fields in exchange for American democracy when the shining light of democracy has to be filtered through hanging chads under the gaze of mindless toadies? Is that the democracy we want the Iraqis to aspire to? Weed is not the issue.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I agree that it is just a plant, however it can be just as dangerous as alcohol

Bwahahahahahahahahahahah!

Since 1982 there have been 445,113 drunk driving fatalities in the US alone. That's just fatalities, not total alcohol related accidents. Call me thick (you wouldn't be the first), but I have a feeling that pot related traffic fatalities might be significantly less. In addition, I've yet to meet anyone who smoked a joint, than proceeded to beat the s*** out of his spouse or children (unless, of course, they were wrestling over a twinkie).

Say, what do you do for a living anyway? You're not by any chance a propoganda writer for the government, are you?
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Those stats are a bit skewed, as alcohol is legal and, therefore, more widely used than pot.

That said, my point is not really based on which intoxicant is worse... one gets you suspended, one doesn't. You'd think that those six-figure paychecks would be enough to stay away from the one that the league does not allow.

BigGame Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Is the allure of the weed really that great?
    While I love the drug, and smoke it often, I would definatly not sacrifice the money that these guys make to smoke it. If I'm making millions a season, I think I could hold off.

But just to clarify, I am not taking ANYTHING away from being high... It is amazing. :redface:

As far as the alcohol vs. weed issue, I like to think of it like this. I would be 10 times more afraid of a group of kids walking with 40 oz. bottles of whisky then I would be of a group of kids each smoking 1/2 quarter joints. Its that simple... weed will not increase agressiveness, and while it does impare your judgement, not nearly as much as booze.
    Last edited by BigGame; -10-19-2004 at 06:28 PM.

xfactor28 Guest

Those stats are a bit skewed, as alcohol is legal and, therefore, more widely used than pot.

That said, my point is not really based on which intoxicant is worse... one gets you suspended, one doesn't. You'd think that those six-figure paychecks would be enough to stay away from the one that the league does not allow.

Ask Leonard Little about that one

Yodude is offline Registered User

You'd think that those six-figure paychecks would be enough to stay away from the one that the league does not allow.
    You'll get no argument from me about that point. I agree 100%.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Quote Originally Posted by xfactor28
    Ask Leonard Little about that one
    There's a difference between merely drinking and driving while intoxicated. Had Leonard Little stayed home or called a cab, the league would not care about his drinking, and neither would the police.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'll pretty much agree with everyone here. Marijuana is a great recreational drug, but a player would be stupid to risk millions of dollars just because he wants to smoke during the season. It's not like it's really addictive and you fly into manic rages when you're without. Some people just like it to relax. I believe (over-)consuming alcohol has a much more negative effect than smoking weed, but that has nothing to do with this argument.

Yes, the high is nice and relaxing (and makes everything seem better ). But is the allure of weed really that great, as in to risk giving up millions of dollars? No.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -10-19-2004 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    , I've yet to meet anyone who smoked a joint, than proceeded to beat the s*** out of his spouse or children
    There is a story in The Hollow that after one pipe too many, logic can take a violent beating. I'm not sure how true that is though.

Some times there is nonsense. Other times there is, well, just more nonsense. Legality does not equate to prevalance.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame
    ... it does impare your judgement ...
    Just what one needs. An admitted user confessing to impaired judgment. First, is anything really impaired? Second, assuming that "something" is "impaired" is it fair to label it as judgment? Sounds like another red herring to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    But is the allure of weed really that great, as in to risk giving up millions of dollars?
    Speaking of judgements, this is a value judgement isn't it? Precisely what value does one assign to non-material principles? Is one enticed by an allure? Or is one seeking to affirm freedom of choice? At some point, there ought to be choice without damnation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast