Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Re: Is marijuana really that good?

Only if you do it in Amsterdam

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Having been born in the early '60's, I was exposed to a LOT of weed in high school in the '70's. Sure, I partook, but it wasn't THAT big of a deal to me. I also played around with a few other "recreational" drugs. The biggie was meth. I gave up 2 good jobs, a nice apartment, a girlfriend, and 90% of my friends to move to Brooklyn, Illinois, (those here from St. Louis might remember a club called the Red Garter.....I worked there, and lived in one of Sylvester's apartments....) just to get away from all things meth.
    Three months later, I moved back to Springfield, clean, and intending to stay that way. Now I have a great family, a good job, and I am well respected by those that know me. Am I tempted by the meth? Yes. Would I ever give into that temptation? NO! I have children looking to me as a role model (just like the players do) and I cannot teach them to be respectable, law-abiding citizens if I do not set a good example for them.
    Honestly, the marijuana isn't the problem. Stupidity is. Why else would they do something illegal, against the word of the NFL, and risk EVERYTHING just to get high?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Speaking of judgements, this is a value judgement isn't it? Precisely what value does one assign to non-material principles? Is one enticed by an allure? Or is one seeking to affirm freedom of choice? At some point, there ought to be choice without damnation.
    Yeah, tell all of that to Ricky Williams' kids.

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Yeah, tell all of that to Ricky Williams' kids.
    Ah. Whoopee-do. Let the kids earn their own keep. They can bag the pot for him ...

Yodude is offline Registered User

There is a story in The Hollow that after one pipe too many, logic can take a violent beating. I'm not sure how true that is though.
    There's a similar "story" here in my neck of the woods.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

BigGame is offline Registered User

Adrian... You are reading too much into my statement.

I am a Univrersity student at one of the most prestigious schools in my country. I use pot probably 3-5 times a week. My marks haven't dropped since I have started use, I have never went on any vicious rampages, but I do admit, sometimes I do things that the next morning I think, "what the hell was that."

I'm not defending its use in the NFL, or for people period, but I, personally, enjoy it, and have limited negativities comming from the use of the drug.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame
    Adrian... You are reading too much into my statement.

I am a Univrersity student at one of the most prestigious schools in my country. I use pot probably 3-5 times a week. My marks haven't dropped since I have started use, I have never went on any vicious rampages, but I do admit, sometimes I do things that the next morning I think, "what the hell was that."

I'm not defending its use in the NFL, or for people period, but I, personally, enjoy it, and have limited negativities comming from the use of the drug.
    Yeah, and in six or seven years, he'll graduate.

BigGame is offline Registered User

Yeah, and in six or seven years, he'll graduate.

Ouch.... And I am an aspiring lawyer, just like yourself.... :upset: Thanks for laughing at my dreams Av, I really appreciate it.

:redface:

Relax, Bluto... I was just kidding around. :tongue:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Relax, Bluto... I was just kidding around. :tongue:

Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

afrightertoo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGame
    ... but I do admit, sometimes I do things that the next morning I think, "what the hell was that."
    If you were talking about alcohol, I'd take your point. But I'm not convinced that smoking hemp products leads to misguided behavior. Whatever "hell" was created the night before should be left at the doorstep of personal responsibility.

Altered states of consciousness do not demand a person do something. Nor do they control behavior. They merely pose an alternative reality - a reality which one chooses to humor or not.

You mean like, posting under multiple names? That kind of "alternate reality?"

morbo is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    First, hops is natural, barley is natural. And well, sugar and yeast is good in moderation too. So back to nature I say.

Second, let's not confuse the issues. It's not the weed that has them disorientated, it's the paraquat poison that the Revenuers have treated some weed with while trying to disenfranchise the simple farmer from his cultural heritage.

Is it any wonder you can't convince the Afghanis to give up their hemp fields in exchange for American democracy when the shining light of democracy has to be filtered through hanging chads under the gaze of mindless toadies? Is that the democracy we want the Iraqis to aspire to? Weed is not the issue.
    Yup! Adarian never fails to hit the proverbial "nail on the head". The issue is not the product or substance itself, but the convoluted and culturally biased laws that govern said product.

Not many people know the history of drug laws in the States, or the insanity that followed when the United Nations was in it's infancy; forcing most of the soverign nations in the world to adopt an antidrug policy....

Not that any of that matters, but in all actuality it gives us an idea of how NOT to govern the use of narcotics by a beurocraticily inept justice system. The NFL is many ways is a microcosm of life, and honestly if you think about it:

Ricky Williams lead the league in carries, was among the best backs in the NFL, and RARELY missed games-but because of the LEGALITY of his pot-use he was suspended and thus somewhat "forced" into retirement-his drug use CLEARLY did not affect his play on the field-he was a stud.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by morbo
    because of the LEGALITY of his pot-use he was suspended and thus somewhat "forced" into retirement
    Holy misplaced responsbility Batman! Williams made a choice, plain & simple. He could either honor his contract and continue his career in the NFL; or smoke dope. He chose to smoke dope. Nobody forced him to leave, he's a grown man who made a decision, right or wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by morbo
    Ricky Williams lead the league in carries, was among the best backs in the NFL, and RARELY missed games-but because of the LEGALITY of his pot-use he was suspended
    That's exactly right. The NFL had a rule based on governmental law that says you can't smoke dope. The rule was not in place because dope affects his performance (ie. steroids), it's in place because you can't expect the league to gloss over criminal violations. He broke the rule and the law. Don't like the rule? Talk to the commissioner. Don't like the law? Talk to Congress. Either way, Williams performance is irrelevant to the enforcement of rules.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

You mean like, posting under multiple names? That kind of "alternate reality?"
    I suppose that could be one interpretation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast