Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Large_Ant is offline Registered User

Re: Marmie may have found a new home.....you'll never guess where.

Okay, easy guys. Hopefully you guys have had your fun. Marmie IS NOT being brought in to be our defensive coordinator. He's being brought in to assist in coaching our DBs. While it's noteworthy, it's really not a very big story as he won't be controlling anything.

Besides, if we're being honest guys, the Rams problems in the secondary weren't a result of poor coaching. It's not the most talented bunch in the NFL although I expect that they'll fix that this offseason.

----------------------------------------------------
    Seattle Seahawks - 2004 & 2005 NFC West Champions

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant
    Okay, easy guys. Hopefully you guys have had your fun. Marmie IS NOT being brought in to be our defensive coordinator. He's being brought in to assist in coaching our DBs. While it's noteworthy, it's really not a very big story as he won't be controlling anything.

Besides, if we're being honest guys, the Rams problems in the secondary weren't a result of poor coaching. It's not the most talented bunch in the NFL although I expect that they'll fix that this offseason.
    This is the same Seattle response I've heard on another board. The optimistic "Look at the glass half full" approach. Unfortunately with Marmie, there's nothing in the glass at all. In fact, there's not even a glass. Just shards of broken pieces. Just because he's not the defensive coordinator doesn't suddenly make him a great coach.

Take it from the people who know, Ant. Some of us thought the same thing about his time in Arizona before he came here, and my stomach still hurts from that big plate of crow.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Mr. Ant, i will say this much. I think truffant is terrific and still improving. I dont think marmie can do anything to hurt him. For your sake, just hope that marmie is not in a position to take away all the aggressiveness in your dbs. Marmie is the master of establishing a defensive philosophy that involves having the dbs play 9 yards off the receiver on third and 6. The strategy may fail, but marmie makes up for the failure on volume, ie he will repeat it over and over and over again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Mr. Ant, i will say this much. I think truffant is terrific and still improving. I dont think marmie can do anything to hurt him. For your sake, just hope that marmie is not in a position to take away all the aggressiveness in your dbs. Marmie is the master of establishing a defensive philosophy that involves having the dbs play 9 yards off the receiver on third and 6. The strategy may fail, but marmie makes up for the failure on volume, ie he will repeat it over and over and over again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    That sounds about like Ray Rhodes strategy. In other words, they're bringing Marmie in to maintain the status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    This is the same Seattle response I've heard on another board. The optimistic "Look at the glass half full" approach. Unfortunately with Marmie, there's nothing in the glass at all. In fact, there's not even a glass. Just shards of broken pieces. Just because he's not the defensive coordinator doesn't suddenly make him a great coach.

Take it from the people who know, Ant. Some of us thought the same thing about his time in Arizona before he came here, and my stomach still hurts from that big plate of crow.
    Dude, are you having a conversation with yourself? Not sure where you read in my post that I was "being optimistic" or "looking at the glass as half full". And I certainly never said anything about him being a "great coach". Did you actually read my post?

I'm indifferent about this move. I don't expect him to make much of a difference one way or the other. You guys are talking like one assistant is going to come in and turn this into the St. Louis defense. I think that's a bit of wishful thinking on your part.

Enjoy your crow. Apparently you were the one silly to enough to think he was your savior. All I said is "Whatever." :tongue:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Marmie is the least of Seattle's problems. Super Bowl hangover, a long list of FA's and apparantly Shaun Alexander has put his house up for sale.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Mr. Ant, i will say this much. I think truffant is terrific and still improving. I don't think marmie can do anything to hurt him. For your sake, just hope that marmie is not in a position to take away all the aggressiveness in your dbs. Marmie is the master of establishing a defensive philosophy that involves having the dbs play 9 yards off the receiver on third and 6. The strategy may fail, but marmie makes up for the failure on volume, ie he will repeat it over and over and over again.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Amen GC. Marmie was both predictable and incapable of adjusting to exposed weaknesses to his secondary scheme (or his defensive line scheme, linebacking scheme, etc). This is GREAT news for the Rams. Seattle's hopes to hold the top stop in the NFC West are now vaporized !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Marmie is the least of Seattle's problems. Super Bowl hangover, a long list of FA's and apparantly Shaun Alexander has put his house up for sale.
    Oh good lord. It definitely is the offseason. I love the "Super Bowl hangover". It's about as real as the Madden curse. But no, no, no!! It's proven!! Look at the last few teams that have gone to the Super Bowl!!

Ask yourself r8rh8r, if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up heads all 10 times, what are the chances of it happening again? Are they greater because all of the 10 flips before proved a pattern? The answer is no. The chances are 50/50 just like every other flip because one flip has nothing to do with the next. Stop listening to the media. They sale people on stupid concepts and sit back and laugh as people parrot them like they're sensible facts. There's no such thing as "Super Bowl hangover."

Our chances of making it back to the playoffs are as good as any. Are you going to buy into the hype again that the Cardinals will be competitive in our division again? How about Alex Smith? Has he shown you a glimmer of anything that makes you think the Whiners will have a winning season? Yeah, me neither. This division comes down to two teams once again and given the scheme changes that you guys will probably go through in Linehans first year, I like our chances given the continuity of most of our team.

As far as our laundry list of free agents, Alexander is the only one that is significant (Hutchinson will get tagged). And as far as I'm concerned, people are swinging on Shaun's nuts a little too hard. He has been great but I've got no problem with the team if they decide not to pay him as the best RB in the league at the ripe old age of 29. If Shaun leaves, who's to say that the Seahawks won't go after Edgerrin James or a pounder like Jamal Lewis? We had 16 UFAs last year (including our QB and All World LT) and our new management not only came through it but exceeded everyone's expectations. As far as I'm concerned, we've got good continuity, a good cap situation, and we're still in a very weak division. I highly doubt we'll have a lot of trouble getting back to the playoffs, especially when you consider how many teams on our schedule have new coaches or are facing the possibility of a change at the QB position.

I'm hoping the Rams are very competitive this year so that there is still a race for the division past October.
    Last edited by Large_Ant; -02-17-2006 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    Amen GC. Marmie was both predictable and incapable of adjusting to exposed weaknesses to his secondary scheme (or his defensive line scheme, linebacking scheme, etc). This is GREAT news for the Rams. Seattle's hopes to hold the top stop in the NFC West are now vaporized !
    Classic! This is what I'm talking about. We sign a new waterboy and we're doomed!!

LOL

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Wow, still a little sensitive after what transpired at the big dance Large_Ant?? We're just havin' some fun with ya dude. Be happy, you're the NFC Champs!

Sensitive? What did I say that came off as sensitive? I wasn't annoyed with you, I'm annoyed with the "mediots" and all their nonsense about curses and hangovers.

Over the last few years it has become painfully obvious how much crap we're fed by the media and how 9 out of 10 people are eatin' it up. Maybe it's just a sore spot. I'll get therapy...

Enjoy your crow. Apparently you were the one silly to enough to think he was your savior. All I said is "Whatever." :tongue:
    For someone who criticizes others for not reading his post, you sure didn't do a good job reading mine. Where did I say that I thought Marmie would be our savior? All I'm saying is that when we brought him in, there were a lot of us that looked at his poor past defenses and blamed it on the talent on the field as well. Turns out that was part of the story, but not all of it.

Like it or not, the fact that you tried to justify the Rams' secondary problems as having nothing to do with coaching shows that you're trying to be optimistic about getting Marmie. While I agree that to a large extent the players in the secondary did not perform to an adequate level, I will say this - the mistakes they made were consistent and present through the entire season. That points to a deficiency in coaching, IMO.

And you just hired it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    For someone who criticizes others for not reading his post, you sure didn't do a good job reading mine. Where did I say that I thought Marmie would be our savior? All I'm saying is that when we brought him in, there were a lot of us that looked at his poor past defenses and blamed it on the talent on the field as well. Turns out that was part of the story, but not all of it.

Like it or not, the fact that you tried to justify the Rams' secondary problems as having nothing to do with coaching shows that you're trying to be optimistic about getting Marmie. While I agree that to a large extent the players in the secondary did not perform to an adequate level, I will say this - the mistakes they made were consistent and present through the entire season. That points to a deficiency in coaching, IMO.

And you just hired it.
    Nick, how about we agree to read each others posts a little better because nowhere did I say the Rams secondary problems have "nothing to do with coaching".

Again, I'm neither "optimistic" nor "pessimistic" about Marmie. I'm indifferent. But if I'm supposed to believe that Trufant, Dyson, and Herndon will suddenly forget how to play their positions because of a new coach...

I'm sure you would know better than I would how good/bad this guy is. But whatever he does, he's still got to play within Ray Rhodes (or soon to be John Marshall's) scheme. You guys had Marmie running the whole shot. In Seattle, he'll be a position coach. Whether you acknowledge it or not, there is a considerable difference.

Nick, how about we agree to read each others posts a little better because nowhere did I say the Rams secondary problems have "nothing to do with coaching".
    What else could you have meant when you said, "the Rams problems in the secondary weren't a result of poor coaching"?

Let's say I fail a math test, and I comment that my mistakes on the test weren't a result of not studying but rather other factors. Would it be accurate to then restate that by saying that my mistakes had nothing to do with studying? Yes, it would.

It seems pretty simple to me...? Maybe you can elaborate on what I missed and clarify the problem.

But if I'm supposed to believe that Trufant, Dyson, and Herndon will suddenly forget how to play their positions because of a new coach...
    It's hard to tell, but I wouldn't rule it out. Did Daunte Culpepper suddenly forget how to play football when Scott Linehan and Randy Moss left? It would seem so, because he stunk this season under a new coordinator before being injured.

Regardless, Marmie certainly didn't improve the play of anyone on this defense, and apparently did not do a good job of actually teaching some of these younger players, who exhibited the same difficulties and mistakes through most of the season.

The problem with Marmie wasn't just his scheme. It was the lack of adjustments when mistakes or problems occurred, and that improvement of young players seemed virtually non-existant.

In Seattle, he'll be a position coach. Whether you acknowledge it or not, there is a considerable difference.
    Yes, there is. But he's also going to be responsible for many aspects of coverages and correcting the mistakes of players within the scheme. Whether YOU acknowledge it or not, this is something he did not do well either during his time here.

megas711 is offline Registered User

Ant... take things a little less seriously. You know what? Dye your hair blonde and come back.
    Last edited by megas711; -02-18-2006 at 04:54 AM.
    There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast