Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Large_Ant Guest

Re: Marmie may have found a new home.....you'll never guess where.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Way to man up and admit that RF16, Large_Ant is one of the good guys.
    Thanks R8rh8r. Believe me bro, I sling stuff a lot better than that when I'm trying to sling it. But my experience on this board has always been good so there's no need.

My only points have been:

1) The Rams secondary suffered from a lack of talent (and I also pointed out that they would probably fix that this offseason) more than anything.

2) Your defense was doomed to take a dip in production the day Lovie Smith moved to Illinois. I think it's less about Marmie taking over and more about Smith being gone. Lovie was one of the better DCs in the league and he's already proven his defensive genius in Chicago.

3) Marmie, Shmarmie. Who cares? He's a position coach. As I understand it, the most likely plan would be to make Ray Rhodes a "consultant", promote John Marshall (LBs coach) to defensive coordinator (the role he served all year since Rhodes had health problems), move Terryl Austin (DBs coach) to LBs coach, and make Marmie DBs coach. If he sucks nuts, he'll be overridden by the guys that have been there forever. Holmgren is pretty quick triggered with coaches that don't work out. Just ask the guy who got a shot at being our special teams coach the year before last (and only the year before last). If Marmie were coming in to be our DC, I might be worried. But as a position coach controlling one aspect? He'll have about two preseason games to get beat deep before he gets smacked around by Holmgren, Rhodes, etc. I can understand why you guys would be excited about something potentially bad happening to us but there's got to be bigger news than us hiring a bad position coach. And by the way, shouldn't we actually hire him (as of yet they have not) before you guys get too excited about how "doomed" we are?

I just think too much is being made out of this. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

As far as Nick, short of anybody who talks trash about my momma, I take no offense. And speaking for him (if I may take the liberty), I'm sure I haven't said anything that sent him to bed crying either. There'll be another thread someday where he and I will be arguing on the same side of the issue. Nature of the boards. Any banter between he and I shouldn't be taken as anything major. As I understand it, he's a senior member of the board and possibly even a mod. If that is so, he's seen far worse than the likes of me. As much as he probably appreciates it, I doubt that he needs someone to step in and tell me what's what for him.

And by the way, MARMIE IS A GOD!!!

LOL
    Last edited by Large_Ant; -02-19-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Large_Ant Guest

To be clearer, when I said the problems with the secondary weren't because of the coaching, I should have said the problems with weren't "primarily" due to coaching. My mistake although I think you could have reasonably caught the meaning if you had tried.
    Nick, I restated it and admitted fault. Not sure what more you're looking for but there is a limit to what I will do for forgiveness.

LOL

Seriously, lighten up bro.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Large_Ant
    Thanks R8rh8r. Believe me bro, I sling stuff a lot better than that when I'm trying to sling it. But my experience on this board has always been good so there's no need.

My only points have been:

1) The Rams secondary suffered from a lack of talent (and I also pointed out that they would probably fix that this offseason) more than anything.

2) Your defense was doomed to take a dip in production the day Lovie Smith moved to Illinois. I think it's less about Marmie taking over and more about Smith being gone. Lovie was one of the better DCs in the league and he's already proven his defensive genius in Chicago.

3) Marmie, Shmarmie. Who cares? He's a position coach. As I understand it, the most likely plan would be to make Ray Rhodes a "consultant", promote John Marshall (LBs coach) to defensive coordinator (the role he served all year since Rhodes had health problems), move Terryl Austin (DBs coach) to LBs coach, and make Marmie DBs coach. If he sucks nuts, he'll be overridden by the guys that have been there forever. Holmgren is pretty quick triggered with coaches that don't work out. Just ask the guy who got a shot at being our special teams coach the year before last (and only the year before last). If Marmie were coming in to be our DC, I might be worried. But as a position coach controlling one aspect? He'll have about two preseason games to get beat deep before he gets smacked around by Holmgren, Rhodes, etc. I can understand why you guys would be excited about something potentially bad happening to us but there's got to be bigger news than us hiring a bad position coach. And by the way, shouldn't we actually hire him (as of yet they have not) before you guys get too excited about how "doomed" we are?

I just think too much is being made out of this. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

As far as Nick, short of anybody who talks trash about my momma, I take no offense. And speaking for him (if I may take the liberty), I'm sure I haven't said anything that sent him to bed crying either. There'll be another thread someday where he and I will be arguing on the same side of the issue. Nature of the boards. Any banter between he and I shouldn't be taken as anything major. As I understand it, he's a senior member of the board and possibly even a mod. If that is so, he's seen far worse than the likes of me. As much as he probably appreciates it, I doubt that he needs someone to step in and tell me what's what for him.

And by the way, MARMIE IS A GOD!!!

LOL
    My bad I'm sorry Large Ant. I read it a little deeper than it was. My bad I'm sorry!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Nick, I restated it and admitted fault. Not sure what more you're looking for but there is a limit to what I will do for forgiveness.

LOL

Seriously, lighten up bro.
    I was referencing the last part of the statement: "although I think you could have reasonably caught the meaning if you had tried." I appreciate your admitting to the statement needing rewording, but come on, we can both agree that your statement was pretty clear, and it's not reasonable to ask someone to draw some other meaning from it.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's less about Marmie taking over and more about Smith being gone
    I wish I could agree with you. It would have made the last two years much less painful. However, Marmie is quite possibly the worst man to ever wear the title "Defensive Coordinator". I could see if we just took a step back from Lovie, but the bottom fell out of this ship.
    If he sucks nuts, he'll be overridden by the guys that have been there forever
    You're absolutely right. He may have so little power that he can't screw anything up. However, I feel very comfortable saying he will not make your defense better. I'm not saying they won't be any better, I'm just saying it will be in spite of Marmie, if they are.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

Large Ant, i am a big fan of yours, as you know, but Lovie Smith is no genius at anything. He is a sound coach, but his bears defense was great this year because they had great players. The rams defense completely collapsed at the end of the 2003 season and lovie failed to make any adjustments. He picked damione lewis over marcus stroud and was deeply involved in the decision to sign jamie duncan. The acquisition of aeneas williams, as much or more, helped the rams improve their defense for a period of time, but a lot of the rams defensive success was due to a dominant offense that forced the other team to play from behind quite a bit.

Now, there may be some logic that when a new coordinator with a different style and different types of players takes over, there are major problems in transition. the new coachs style may not mesh with the players and it can certainly lead to big issues when a guy is playing a style that doesnt match his talent.

This isnt to say lovie isnt a decent coach and certainly a LOT better than marmie, but i dont buy for one second that he is any kind of defensive genius. Same point with tony dungy. Great defenses in tampa-great players. Terrible players for a couple of years in baltimore on defense, thus, terrible defense. Coaching helps my friend, at the margain and that is all. Talent is the key. Now bellichick, he is about as close to a defensive genius as i can think of.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Hawk fans will become concerned when they visit training camp and see Marmie running his "whiff and fall down" drill (aka The Sehorn/Coady Drill).

general counsel is offline Registered User

Av, dont forget the "How to take the scenic route to the ball carrier drill" starring mike furrey. Angles away!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Large_Ant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    My bad I'm sorry Large Ant. I read it a little deeper than it was. My bad I'm sorry!
    It's all good, bro.

Large_Ant Guest

I think the Hawk fans will become concerned when they visit training camp and see Marmie running his "whiff and fall down" drill (aka The Sehorn/Coady Drill).
    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Av, dont forget the "How to take the scenic route to the ball carrier drill" starring mike furrey. Angles away!

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    LOL

Hey Avernger, were you still around on the Seahawks board when that napkin with Ray Rhodes defensive scheme was posted? That was some hilarious "ish" right there! Showed four defenders retreating and one running for the sidelines. We've about bashed Rhodes to death so if they do sign Marmie, it should if nothing else give us some new material.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

We've about bashed Rhodes to death so if they do sign Marmie, it should if nothing else give us some new material.
    You'll have enough material to last several lifetimes.....LOL

The guy has been caught once on camera picking his nose and looking for wisdom once he pulls his finger out. There is your first round of ammunition to use. Consider it a gift. :up:
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

Rambi Guest

Wow....Marmie is going to be in Seattle....

This is the best offseason news that I have heard.

There is a big grin on my face.

psycho9985 Guest

my 1st thought on where Marmie is going was to Detroit with Martz.Better hope Marmie has nothing against the Hawks because Avenger is right,wiff and fall down was a Marmie ploy to sabatage the Rams because he hates us.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Marmie recently interviewed for the Green Bay Packers’ opening as defensive backs coach. The job went to Kurt Schottenheimer.
    I think this says it all, really.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

LMAO This is great news Marmie in Seattle. And Large-ant if you really dont believe in curses or hype wait tell next season, this man is destruction in the simpliest terms. Good Luck. LMAO

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast