RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz to *****???

Lions expected to fire Martz as offensive coordinator
    The architect of the Rams' glory days and coach known for developing quarterbacks is likely to be pursued by the *****.
    By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    December 29, 2007
    The NFL regular season isn't over, and already the job juggling is underway.

Detroit will fire offensive coordinator Mike Martz after Sunday's season-ending game at Green Bay and replace him with receivers coach Kippy Brown, according to sources familiar with the situation.

But Martz may not be out of a job long. San Francisco is expected to pursue him to take over for offensive coordinator Jim Hostler. Martz, who coached the St. Louis Rams to the Super Bowl in 2001, appeals to the ***** because of his familiarity with the NFC West and his ability to develop quarterbacks, as he has done with Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger and Jon Kitna.

The ***** used the No. 1 pick in the 2005 draft to select quarterback Alex Smith, who has shown flashes of promise, though many people believe he has yet to reach his potential.

San Francisco's offense is by far the worst in the NFL, ranking at the bottom in yards per game, first downs and time of possession.

The Lions (7-8) followed a 6-2 start by losing six in a row before they ended the slide with a victory over Kansas City last Sunday. If Detroit beats the Packers it will finish with its first non-losing season since 2000.

Martz, who was hired in early 2006 by Lions Coach Rod Marinelli, was coach of the Rams from 2000 through 2005. He was the architect of the high-scoring "Greatest Show on Turf" offense that featured Warner, running back Marshall Faulk and receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

This season, the Lions rank eighth in the NFL in passing but 30th in rushing and 19th in total offense. They rank 16th in points.

Earlier this week, Kitna told reporters in Detroit that firing Martz would be a mistake.

"I hope he's back," Kitna said Wednesday. "That would be a hard thing for me to get over, not having him."

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Martz to *****???

His QB wont have half the weapons we or the Lions have. This guy is Frank Gore's worst enemy since he wanted to rush for 2,000 yards this year. With Martz these days he will be lucky to get 800

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I can't tell you how happy I would be to see Mike with the Whiners. If we're really lucky, he'll get promoted to HC!!! :imho:
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

btimsah Guest

I could be totally wrong, but it just sounds to me like the west coast media wants Martz to go to the ***** so they are just pushing it.

Linehan should go after Martz.. But Linehan isn't that smart.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I don't know. Many have theorized that Martz's offense is driven by the WR position but I think it might be more important to have a stud, versatile RB to make it all work. Gore would be the best RB he's had since Faulk. They would certainly need to upgrade their WR's but with Vernon Davis and Frank Gore they would have a good start on their skill positions.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
    I don't know. Many have theorized that Martz's offense is driven by the WR position but I think it might be more important to have a stud, versatile RB to make it all work. Gore would be the best RB he's had since Faulk. They would certainly need to upgrade their WR's but with Vernon Davis and Frank Gore they would have a good start on their skill positions.
    The key for Martz's offense is a QB that can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

when you hire Martz you know what you are getting, so if you do give him a job and then complain about him not running the ball thats on the team's FO,he doesn't hide it,he's all out all the time,if you dont want that then don't hire him,I still think the Chargers job would have been great for him.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I could be totally wrong, but it just sounds to me like the west coast media wants Martz to go to the ***** so they are just pushing it.

Linehan should go after Martz.. But Linehan isn't that smart.
    It doesn't matter what Linehan should do, Shawgmunt would never allow Martz back after all the "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" moments leading up to his firing.