Rambos is offline Registered User

Martz not coming to Raiders

Martz not coming to Raiders
    Chronicle Staff Report

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Former Rams coach Mike Martz is withdrawing as a possible candidate for the Raiders' head-coaching position, according to reports. Martz personally initiated contact with Raiders senior personnel man Michael Lombardi on Jan. 19, requesting an interview, then interviewed for about two hours with the Raiders in Alameda on Thursday.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch and ESPN.com reported Martz's decision Saturday. ESPN.com did not cite any sources and said that Martz was talking with the Lions about becoming their offensive coordinator. The Post-Dispatch, citing "sources close to Martz," said Martz, 54, enjoyed his interview with Raiders owner Al Davis but that the Oakland situation "just didn't feel right" to Martz.

Martz was the fourth candidate to formally interview for the team's vacancy.

Earlier this month, Davis said he would rule out the former Rams coach because of health concerns. St. Louis was 2-3 this season when Martz was sidelined with an infection of the heart lining. He was fired at the end of the season.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Martz not coming to Raiders

Sunday, January 29, 2006
    Print this Comment on this E-mail this
    NFL: Roundup

Martz could run Lions' offense

Ex-Rams head coach will apparently decide by Monday whether or not to take the job.

Mike Martz, the architect of the offense known as "The Greatest Show on Turf" while offensive coordinator and head coach of the St. Louis Rams, reportedly is under consideration by new Lions coach Rod Marinelli for the offensive coordinator's position.

Martz has told the Lions that he will make up his mind by Monday, according to a report on ESPN.com.

stlramman is offline Registered User

i live in michigan,and dont like the lions at all.but i hope they do this because they are so boring on offense every year,just dont make em be to good mike,i would never hear the end of it around here.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

It might be a good fit for Mike who knows ... I'm hesitant to say this but here it goes I believe if things were not so bad between mgmt and Mike he would be a great O.C. again it would have had its problems I'm sure but it would have been nice (only my opinion)
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -01-29-2006 at 05:23 PM.

Hodgins Guest

I dont see why martz would decline a job as an hc for one of the most talented offenses in football to go co-ordinate matt millen's travelling circus

general counsel is offline Registered User

I will give you 2 million reasons a year why martz would do it. the lions will pay him top dollar and he can sit and wait until some of the smoke regarding his health issues blows over and he can get a job as a head coach again. Who knows, maybe he knew al davis wasnt going to give him enough control over personnel decisions. detroit would be really challenging, given that they have no functional qb on the roster.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Yodude is offline Registered User

I dont see why martz would decline a job as an hc for one of the most talented offenses in football to go co-ordinate matt millen's travelling circus
    Couldn't be said any better...about the only thing I could think of is Martz want's more control if he's going to be a head coach than what Davis is willing to give.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

serkicker32 Guest

they have a first round qb on there roster, think what Martz can do with that talent considering what he has done with lesser talented qb's

Hodgins Guest

Quote Originally Posted by serkicker32
    they have a first round qb on there roster, think what Martz can do with that talent considering what he has done with lesser talented qb's
    martz did well with lesser talented qbs because they really werent lesser talented, he was a master at seeing talent in qbs where others didnt see it,

sbramfan Guest

I have been thinking all along that Martz would do well in Detroit. They have a running back in Kevin Jones that has similarities to Marshall, and 3 very talented wide receivers, all 1st round draft picks. I'm sure he could get that offense going. Everyone picked the Lions to be good last year, and their offense just never got going. If Mike was up in the booth for Detroit, he could have them putting up some points.