RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz out of Detroit

Everyone seemed so excited to jump the gun with Martz. It looks like he is out.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...B?OpenDocument

Not so fast on those Mike Martz-to-Detroit headlines.

This afternoon, Martz told Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch that he will not take the job as the Lions' offensive coordinator under new head coach Rod Marinelli.

The Post-Dispatch and other media outlets reported Wednesday that Martz had accepted the Lions' offer to join the coaching staff, but that contract terms had not been completed.

Martz told Thomas today, "We couldn't come to an agreement on terms. I really do feel bad . . . but we just couldn't get on the same page."

For now, the former head coach of the Rams plans to return to his hometown of San Diego and will sit out next football season.

He recently sold his house in Chesterfield.

Please check back for updates to this breaking story.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Martz out of Detroit

Fascinating development. i wonder how far apart that they were. I knew a big part of the attraction to detroit was martz perception that bill ford would pay redskins type money for a coordinator, thus the 2 million per year number. Personally, i dont think this reflects well on martz.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It would seem that Mike really doesn't have the burning desire to get back into the game right away.

If I could give Mike a future that I think would make him happy, I'd have him get the HC job at SD State. Can you imagine him running his offense in college. He'd be one of those lifers at a college program, adored by the town. That would fit him so well.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    It would seem that Mike really doesn't have the burning desire to get back into the game right away.

If I could give Mike a future that I think would make him happy, I'd have him get the HC job at SD State. Can you imagine him running his offense in college. He'd be one of those lifers at a college program, adored by the town. That would fit him so well.
    But would he be content doing that? I've got to believe he wants to prove he can still do it in the NFL.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I would hate to see Martz not be able to put food on the table for his family. Maybe Linehan will hire him as our QB coach since we have not hired a QB coach yet.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

From ESPN...

"A source said Martz was seeking a three-year contract that averaged just under $1.5 million a year, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Martz's agent, Bob LaMonte, met with Lions officials Thursday afternoon at the Lions' facility in suburban Detroit before talks broke off."

Wow, I can't believe the Lions weren't willing to commit to that deal. That's a great price, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Personally, i dont think this reflects well on martz.

general counsel
    I have to agree with you. Martz isn't doing much to quash any rumors that he is difficult to deal with. I'm sure he'll be offered a job somewhere ("Would you like fries with that?"). Sorry, that was uncalled for.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I dunno. On the surface it might not look great for Martz, but if the Lions weren't willing to pay him less than $1.5 million a year for three years, then I think it reflects poorly on THEM, not Martz. Heck, Saunders is making over $2 million in Washington. Martz has head coaching experience, orchestrated one of the best offenses in football, and had a pretty darn good record doing so. That's a bargain price, and knowing those details, I think this is more of an indication of Detroit screwing the pooch.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    From ESPN...

"A source said Martz was seeking a three-year contract that averaged just under $1.5 million a year, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Martz's agent, Bob LaMonte, met with Lions officials Thursday afternoon at the Lions' facility in suburban Detroit before talks broke off."

Wow, I can't believe the Lions weren't willing to commit to that deal. That's a great price, IMO.
    My gut tells me that the money probably wasn't the real issue. I think it might stem more from MM's role and control.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RealRam is offline Registered User

...Then I think it reflects poorly on THEM, not Martz. --Nick
    Good one on the Lions organization, Nick! Also, I agree with Truth here in that the real story may not necessarily be related to $ numbers.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Matt Millen is running that team is'nt he? I think that answers alot of questions.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Personally, i dont think this reflects well on martz.
    In this we agree completely. He didn't do any research on Oakland's organization to the point that he was uncomfortable with them only after meeting with them? It's possible I know.

He wouldn't say or do anything to take a young QB and those 3 WRs to the offensive promised land?

I'm afraid Shaw created a monster when he annoited sMartz the next Rams' coaching savior before DV even had time to celebrate his SB win. Compound that with the fact that I'm convinced that despite sMartz' protestations that he never paid attention to the media, he in fact believed too many of his early press clippings.

He wasn't a genius then. And he is solidifying the impression that sMarts he doesn't have either.