Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Martz: 'People are determined to keep me out of the league'

By USAToday Sports

Former Rams head coach Mike Martz told NBC Sports that people inside the NFL are conspiring to keep him out out a job and he said Rams ownership is likely the cause:

"People are determined to keep me out of the league. It's been going on for three years and at this point, I can't fight it. I just canít fight it. Three years of people putting it out there that Iím a high-maintenance lunatic.

"I keep asking, 'Who says these things?' No one will tell you. But I just put two and two together. But when you have a tag and the same damaging things get said two or three times it becomes very hard to shake that tag."

Martz, who was not rehired after serving as the *****' offensive coordinator last season, was billed as arrogant and difficult to work with during his 53-32 stint as Rams head coach from 2000-2005. He later served as Lions offensive coordinator from 2006-2007.

The coach told NBC that officials in the Rams front office have spread bad information about him.

"Most of the perception came from St. Louis," Martz said. "There was so much bitterness and anger and it all stems from my relationship with (former GM) Jay (Zygmunt). Really, it emanated from a couple people and I've now been dogged with it throughout my career."

***** head coach Mike Singletary told NBC he didn't experience Martz as arrogant. Singletary wanted a new offensive coordinator who was more conservative than Martz, and said Martz deserves another chance in the NFL as a head coach:

"Maybe at some point in time he had a reputation of being arrogant or whatever but when we had him here, I worked with him, we had a lot of conversations and I felt very comfortable with him. We spent many hours together. You hear about Mike: 'The guyís arrogant. He's tough to work with. He wants to throw ball all the time ... bottom line for me is he really tried to do what I asked him to do. My approach with him was I didn't come at him as 'I'm head coach around here.' When you come at Mike Martz, you have to do it in a respectful way. Mike can be a very nice guy. But if you ask 10 people, you may get 10 different answers."

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Martz: 'People are determined to keep me out of the league'

Hmmm. If the Rams were so damaging to Martz, how did he get jobs with the Lions and whiners in the first place? Maybe the fact that he wore out his welcome in St. Louis, Detroit and San Fran has something to do with his reputation being tarnished. Martz has only himself to blame for the situation he's in.

Keenum is offline Registered User

His ego was a huge problem, don't know if he's calmed down or not. That reputation will continue to follow him though.
    I think Martz would still be a fine offensive coordinator, but he has to get over the fact he's not going to bring back the "Greatest Show on Turf." That was a special groups of players, very smart and talented, that came together at the right time, and could have been a once in a lifetime event.

ramsfan559 is offline Registered User

I Think Martz Would Be a Great Fit in Cincy.
    Imagine Carson Palmer Stats.....

MarshallMarshall Guest

I'm glad I'd like to see Martz in High school football.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Martz has only himself to blame for the situation he's in.
    Agreed.

As I said awhile back, in another post, he is self-destructive. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such a fall at the head coaching level in any pro sport.

Jonze is offline Registered User

Maybe he has lost some of his arrogance, but he sure has picked up some paranoia in the process;-)

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Arrogant or not the guy has been on the sidelines of a winning Superbowl team and has lead a team to the Superbowl as the Headcoach. He is a proven offensive guru (some would say genius) that should be an OC somewhere.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If I were Martz, I'd strongly consider:

1. Going after a HC job in college. I think he could be the type who excels at that level even more so than he did in the NFL (much like Pete Carroll);

2. Not doing interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Arrogant or not the guy has been on the sidelines of a winning Superbowl team and has lead a team to the Superbowl as the Headcoach. He is a proven offensive guru (some would say genius) that should be an OC somewhere.
    There is no doubt that he has a great offensive mind, but he just can't, or won't adhere to the team concept. He does what he wants regardless of what those above him dictate. He's had two opportunities to prove himself as a team player and has fallen flat on his face in both instances. Add to that the bizarre behavior he displayed in his last days with the Rams and the guy is getting to the point, or may have already reached the point of being radioactive in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If I were Martz, I'd strongly consider:

1. Going after a HC job in college. I think he could be the type who excels at that level even more so than he did in the NFL (much like Pete Carroll);
    I think this a great point. The college ranks are much more conducive to a coach wielding authority and having most of the control in the direction a team goes.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    There is no doubt that he has a great offensive mind, but he just can't, or won't adhere to the team concept. He does what he wants regardless of what those above him dictate. He's had two opportunities to prove himself as a team player and has fallen flat on his face in both instances. Add to that the bizarre behavior he displayed in his last days with the Rams and the guy is getting to the point, or may have already reached the point of being radioactive in the NFL.
    I agree with you Mike. I'm not a huge Martz fan but I don't the hate the guy either. It will/would be a big loss for the NFL if he doesn't find a gig somewhere. Just one man's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I agree with you Mike. I'm not a huge Martz fan but I don't the hate the guy either. It will/would be a big loss for the NFL if he doesn't find a gig somewhere. Just one man's opinion.
    I agree, although Mad Mike may have burned his last NFL bridge.

johnnyram is offline Registered User

I have a friend who played free safety at ASU while Martz was there ,and when the greatest show on turf was in full effect he called it,he said it would only be a matter of time before Martz blew up and sure enough. And by the way who's fault was it that he gave no love to V. Davis a guy who has the talent to possibley break all the records at the T.E position

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyram View Post
    And by the way who's fault was it that he gave no love to V. Davis a guy who has the talent to possibley break all the records at the T.E position
    I don't recall Davis setting the world on fire before Martz got there.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Earth to Mike......., take off your tinfoil hat. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast