Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Martz is starting goofy stuff in Detroit already

HOw can you say that they had a good defensive staff under vermeil and a lousy one under martz. The offense under martz in 2000 was the best we ever had and the defense was the absolute worst. We had a terrific staff, the same basically as in 99, but the players were a lot worse. Coaching had nothing to do with the fact that kevin carter was dominating in the extreme in 99 and lazy in 2000.

Martz coached the rams to a 14-2 record in 2001. One of the greatest seasons and most dominating performances in the history of the league. He brought in lovie smith as defensive coordinator and revitalized the team. Did we lose the superbowl? Sure. Was martz to blame? Interesting debate, but the refs sure were a disaster. We lost that game on a last second field goal. If we won that game, would anyone call martz a lousy coach let alone the worst coach in team history. That statement is a joke. Look at vermeils record before 99 with the rams. He was terrible.

Go read a rams media guide and look at some of the terrible years we have had and tell me that martz, with all his flaws, deserves to be mentioned as one of the worst head coaches we ever had. Its one of the worst arguments i have ever seen advanced on this board.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Nice!!! I agree 100%.

As far as the Lions go, yeah it's time to go to work. Martz is going to get the most out of these under achievers, sounds alot like Parcells if you ask me.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    FYI, the NFL Network just played a clip of head coach Rod Marinelli saying this story is completely false and that Martz actually asked permission to leave early because he and his wife were going house shopping.
    Hmm. Interesting. Martz must have been angry about rising interest rates and home prices.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This Tom Kowalski shmuck is a joke of a journalist. He throws out dramatic headlines and baseless articles like this for pure attention. Note at the beginning of the story he writes "There wasn't a lot of drama or angst, Martz just decided to leave. He was back at his desk Wednesday morning and everything is fine."

End of story, right? But no, of course he has to go on a tirade about Martz being "overbearing, rude, unpredictable, selfish, pushy and extremely volatile" with absolutely nothing to back it up. No quotes, no facts, no mention of anything in Martz's coaching past to make his opinion seem at least somewhat credible. Lions fans have come to expect this excrement from Kowalski (they call him by the nickname "Killer"). Just a few excerpts from Lions fans on this:

"Ohhhhhh, Tom. Back to stirring the Poo Pot with another Op Ed piece."
    "So is Tom admitting he creates news stories? He said there was not a lot off drama or angst, well him "reporting" it makes it a news story."
    "Exactly. More Kowalski sensationalism."
    "This article from Killer is better suited for the tabloids or daytime TV.."days of our Lions"."
    "Killer is just setting the table for more stories he is going to report with respect to Martz..."
    "Yep, we are going to hear how there is a power struggle between Martz and Rod all season from Killer."
    This is all just a small part of the media's self-righteous attitude to make characters out of guys they don't even know and form write-ups that go completely off-base and out of whack with what really happened to spark the story in the first place. Martz is one of their favorite targets, being an unconventional coach who does things his way [as if that's a first among head coaches] whether or not people like it.

Why change his ways when he's tasted the pinnacle of his job [two Super Bowls] that thousands of other football coaches in this country can only dream of? He's not media savvy, and he'll never be a media darling because of that, yet all those shmucks that rip on him are still the first ones to call him a "genius." It's clear he knows football and he knows what he needs out of his guys. I'm skeptical he'll get that out of Detroit, where most of their money is invested in underachieving, oversized receivers who don't fit Martz's system in the first place, and the fact that he'll be out of MoTown before he'd be able to fully implement his system with the types of players it requires. He'll be a head coach soon enough, and no matter where he goes or what he does, writers and sports "analysts" will always look for any angle to dig into Martz, just because his personality doesn't fit a media-friendly profile of what head coaches should or shouldn't do.

Wins and losses are what count in the end, that's one cliché they'll always spout out. Well, look them up.

And just to settle this [sorry about the rant, but this Martz crap that the media relentlessly makes up to tarnish his image just gets to me... especially when it gets to other fans who actually buy into it]... here's what head coach Rod Marinelli had to say about it.

On whether he can confirm the report that Martz stomped out of the building Tuesday
    “I saw it (the report); I guess a source close to the building said he saw him stomp out. That was a lie. Tuesday he went out and looked for a home with his wife. I knew where he was at. I don’t know why somebody would write something like that. I don’t know who the source is – but I’m the source (you should listen to). Just like we have had other coaches who have had to go out and look for homes during the afternoons sometimes. I had two or three guys go in the afternoon; another guy did it in the morning. They left the building during their work time to maybe sign for a home or whatever. That’s all it was.”

On whether he can confirm if Martz was angry about something when he left
    “It was nothing; he asked me, ‘do you mind if I leave to check on a home,’ with his wife or something like that. I said: sure. I don’t know who the source is – I wish the source would come and talk to me. That source is lying.”
    End of story.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -05-05-2006 at 08:26 PM.

bigredman is offline Registered User

TxRamFan and General Counsel you know I love you guys, but how about crawling out of Martz's hind end for a minute and realize that he "inherited" some of the most talented offensive players in the history of the NFL, and a decent defense as a HC (what happened the year after Vermeil won the SB?). OH...and Martz retooled the defense?....give me a break. Yes, the Rams went to the Super Bowl under his HC, but I maintain then and to date the Rams did so IN SPITE OF HIM instead of because of him. His coaching miscues, dumb decisions, lousy clock management, stupid official challenges, waisted time out, etc during that SB year and beyond proves me right. Vermeil inherited one of the most dysfunctional, talent lacking teams in our franchise history (I can't remember that idiot's name who became our head coach from Oregon for obvious reasons, oh and Tony Banks...Wow...wasn't that memorable). Martz took a GREAT team and drove it into the ground. NUFF SAID!
    :moon:
    Last edited by bigredman; -05-05-2006 at 10:23 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    TxRamFan and General Counsel you know I love you guys, but how about crawling out of Martz's hind end for a minute and realize that he "inherited" some of the most talented offensive players in the history of the NFL, and a decent defense as a HC (what happened the year after Vermeil won the SB?). OH...and Martz retooled the defense?....give me a break. Yes, the Rams went to the Super Bowl under his HC, but I maintain then and to date the Rams did so IN SPITE OF HIM instead of because of him. His coaching miscues, dumb decisions, lousy clock management, stupid official challenges, waisted time out, etc during that SB year and beyond proves me right. Vermeil inherited one of the most dysfunctional, talent lacking teams in our franchise history (I can't remember that idiot's name who became our head coach from Oregon for obvious reasons, oh and Tony Banks...Wow...wasn't that memorable). Martz took a GREAT team and drove it into the ground. NUFF SAID!

I agree with you to an extent, on the other hand, he DID lead us there whether theres talent or not, in the end you gotta look at the W's to L's ratio. Was he a headcase ? yes, but all in all he wasn't a terrible HC, and did I want him to leave here btw? yes. I think, if he doesn't go nuts with the Lions' FO, and the HC Marinelli I think they will do OK, not great, but not bad either. Martz sure as hell had phenominal talent, and we are considered (from '99) to have the best offense of all time. But its talent, and also the coaching, something clicked with Martz and that offense, and it worked for awhile. I can't say he was a total disaster.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tanus is offline Registered User

i dont know which is more ridiculous, this post or your avatar. you just cant even try and have a logical discussion with someone who has this mentality.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

So much for these allegations being false and just requesting a shopping spree...LOL

Lions to forfeit two days of offseason program

ALLEN PARK, Mich. - The Detroit Lions will forfeit two days of their offseason training program after settling a complaint by the NFL Players Association.
    Advertisment

In a joint statement released Friday, Harold Henderson, NFL executive vice president for labor relations, and NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw said the team broke rules pertaining to the scheduling of offseason activities.

Lions spokesman Matt Barnhart would not elaborate on the violation.

Players no longer will be required to attend previously scheduled workouts on Monday and Tuesday but will be paid for them. Offseason workouts will resume Thursday.

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

Mike Martz is someone who will probably devide us and our opinions for years to come-he was so unpredictable and its a thin line between genius and lunatic,he thrilled and exasperated me and usually in the same quater!

im glad we had him but im also glad that he`s now gone!

im looking forward to more stability with Linehan at the helm and hopefully a team that will be built for success in the long term!

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Not much to disagree with here. The truth hurts doesn't it?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    So much for these allegations being false and just requesting a shopping spree...LOL
    Maybe you can elaborate, 'cause I don't see Martz's name in there at all...?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rambos is offline Registered User

I’m guessing here big time! Nick I think the lions might have broke the rules because Martz had the players return to the practice field later after they did not run the drills up to his standards. Maybe player’s complaint to the union and the Lions will lose camp time. Just a wild guess on my part, don’t hold me to this I went to the Bernie M. school of fact finding.

During the recent voluntary minicamp, the offensive players were attending an early evening meeting when a suddenly irate Martz demanded that they go back on the field. Upset with the team's seven-on-seven passing drill earlier in the day, Martz wanted all of his players to go through the plays again.
    Last edited by Rambos; -05-06-2006 at 06:46 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That thought had occurred to me as well. Since there are strict rules about how many camps a team gets and how many days they can be and so forth, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a rule about how late they can run. It's pure speculation, but it would make sense.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Just a wild guess on my part, don’t hold me to this I went to the Bernie M. school of fact finding.
    Could be correct, but according to that source, that's "the part of Martz that Marinelli really likes."

And even if that is true, what does that have to do with Marinelli denying that Martz stormed out on Tuesday? It's two entirely different issues, which is why I'm wondering why they're being linked together.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    wow, some of you are down right moronic when it comes to martz. its just down right pathetic.. i hate to break it to you but you don't have the success in the NFL that martz had if you aren't good at what you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    i don't know which is more ridiculous, this post or your avatar. you just cant even try and have a logical discussion with someone who has this mentality.
    Whoa big boy. I know Martz VERY well. He was at Fresno State, Arizona, and coached at University of Pacific here in Stockton. He is (was?) a brilliant offensive coordinator (so long as there was a great head coach to rein him in), but as a head coach, he read too many of his press clippings. The "genius" label went to his head. I've always said that Martz is a great X and O man on offense, but he proved himself unable to handle the position of head coach. I'll go to my grave believing that he had a great deal to do with driving Vermeil to retire after the Super Bowl. I also believe that if Vermeil had stayed, and Martz had stayed as offensive coordinator, the Rams would have won at least two more Super Bowls out of four appearances.

As far as my avatar....get a grip on whatever issues you have about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Whoa big boy. I know Martz VERY well. He was at Fresno State, Arizona, and coached at University of Pacific here in Stockton. He is (was?) a brilliant offensive coordinator (so long as there was a great head coach to rein him in), but as a head coach, he read too many of his press clippings. The "genius" label went to his head. I've always said that Martz is a great X and O man on offense, but he proved himself unable to handle the position of head coach. I'll go to my grave believing that he had a great deal to do with driving Vermeil to retire after the Super Bowl. I also believe that if Vermeil had stayed, and Martz had stayed as offensive coordinator, the Rams would have won at least two more Super Bowls out of four appearances.

As far as my avatar....get a grip on whatever issues you have about that.
    lmao, #1 your avatar is amazing, and #2 I agree with most of what you said, once again I'll say that Martz is one of if not the best OC in the NFL today. As far as Head Coach goes? I think he did as good as he did with the players we had, and they cooperated, and its a combination of many things with the FO for example, that was just disastrous. He has a huge ego problem, and I bet thats definitely a factor of his downfall. Whatever we say though, he did take us down a VERY bumpy road, with lots of pros and cons, but I do believe it had a lot more cons, but do I think he was a total failure? no. Would I ever want him again? no. End of Story

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast