RamWraith is offline Registered User

Martz will have meeting with Lions

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/30/2006

DETROIT Mike Martz is set to fly to Detroit this morning to interview with the Lions about their offensive coordinator's job. Martz spoke with Detroit team President Matt Millen again Monday, and agreed to visit with the Lions.

Martz declined to comment Monday night. But league sources said that things went well with Millen; that Millen wants to hire Martz; and that Martz is interested in the job.

The Lions recently hired former Tampa Bay assistant coach Rod Marinelli as their new head coach. Marinelli's expertise is defense -he had been the Buccaneers' defensive line coach since 1996 before taking the Lions' job. So an experienced and accomplished offensive coach such as Martz would go a long way in rounding out Marinelli's staff, and getting more production out of a Detroit offense that includes the likes of running back Kevin Jones and wide receivers Charles Rogers, Mike Williams and Roy Williams.

Previously this offseason, Martz had interviewed for head-coaching jobs in New Orleans and Oakland. But the Saints' job went to former Dallas assistant Sean Payton. On Saturday, Martz pulled his name out of consideration for the Raiders' job, saying the situation there didn't seem right.

If Martz gets the Detroit job, it's very possible he will take running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery with him. The Lions are looking for a running backs coach, and Montgomery is looking for a job. Montgomery, who had a year left on his Rams contract, was informed Monday by new Rams head coach Scott Linehan that he didn't fit into the team's plans.

Meanwhile, Rams quarterbacks coach John Ramsdell is scheduled to interview in San Diego for the same position on Marty Schottenheimer's staff.

On Monday, Rams special teams coach Bob Ligashesky interviewed with Linehan. Rusty Tillman is considered the favorite to be the head special teams coach, but Ligashesky may be retained as Tillman's assistant.

Also, Rams tight ends coaches Frank Falks and Pat Carter were told by Linehan that they no longer fit in the teams' plans. According to league sources, Giants secondary coach Ron Milus is on the verge of being hired as assistant secondary coach in St. Louis under head secondary coach Willy Robinson.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Martz will have meeting with Lions

Yep, the Lions still sounds like a good fit for Martz. I hope he gets it.

I can't believe that so many Ram coaches are changing. I fear that once Linehan gets his coaching staff set, he will start making cuts and changes with the players.

They say change is good right????hone:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

It depends on whos doing the changing.Hopefully linehan knows what hes doing.We dont have a choice but to watch and see.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

if martz goes to the lions as oc, that makes them much better right now, they have offensive talent and you put that together with martz, that offense will be tough to stop and remember they play indoors also, possibly gsot 2 ?

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    It depends on whos doing the changing.Hopefully linehan knows what hes doing.We dont have a choice but to watch and see.
    I am scared of change and I really don't want to watch. You may find me peeking out, but my hands are over my eyes and ears.
    lalalalalala.....can't see, can't hear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Yep, the Lions still sounds like a good fit for Martz. I hope he gets it.

I can't believe that so many Ram coaches are changing. I fear that once Linehan gets his coaching staff set, he will start making cuts and changes with the players.

They say change is good right????hone:
    A major shake up was needed, especially on defense. Linehan and Haslett need to have guys on staff that they are familiar and comfortable with in order to make their transitions as seamless as possible. In our case, I think change will indeed be good.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

if martz goes to the lions as oc, that makes them much better right now, they have offensive talent and you put that together with martz, that offense will be tough to stop and remember they play indoors also, possibly gsot 2 ?
    The GSOT will never be replicated again. Detroit has talent except at the QB position. I don't think Harrington will fit in with Martz's system.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

I can't believe that so many Ram coaches are changing. I fear that once Linehan gets his coaching staff set, he will start making cuts and changes with the players

The changes that will be made are not really that scary. I mean the stars will be in place next year. Bulger, Holt, Curtis, Pace, Bruce, Jackson and hopefully Faulk. Even if Faulk leaves though that will not be on linehan.

Yeas I know there are no defensive stars on that list Im still mad at them.
    LET'S GO DODGERS