Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: matt schaub

general counsel is offline Registered User

matt schaub

what level will the falcons tender matt schaub at? Personally, i would rather have him than brady quinn.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: matt schaub

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    what level will the falcons tender matt schaub at? Personally, i would rather have him than brady quinn.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I'd rather have Schaub at QB than Michael The Coach Killer Vick!

Revelstoke is offline Registered User

With the coaching change now in Atl imagine the possibility of the falcons relseasing Vick?

Could it happen? They have, from all accounts, a great young guy in Schaub, do they move on?

I know its a long shot but if the Falcons for some reason decieded to let Vick go who takes a shot at him?
    "There's only one way to succeed in anything, and that is to give it everything. I do, and I demand that my players do."
    - Vince Lombardi

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke
    I know its a long shot but if the Falcons for some reason decieded to let Vick go who takes a shot at him?
    The Jags have a possibility of going after him, and teams that dont get Brady Quinn or Jamarcus Russell(if he decides) in the draft. Browns, Lions, Texans, Raiders, Vikings. But a team might draft Troy Smith and Brian Brohm. But a lot of teams could use Vick, but I dont think the Falcons will release him. Shaub is a free agent this year so they need to resign him to keep him.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Sorry, but the falcons won't release the highest paid player in football(he is the hifghest paid...right?)
    Built RAM tough

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't see Vick leaving the Falcons. He needs to be coerced into playing a different position in my opinion. Resign Schaub and use Vick like the Saints use Reggie Bush.

moklerman is offline Registered User

There are some who don't like the comparison but Kordell Stewart and Michael Vick are basically synonymous. Of course, the problem is that Arthur Blank does NOT equal Rooney/Cowher.

The (Kordell)Steelers and Falcons are very similar in terms of having a good defense and good running game and both ultimately lived and died with the performance of each qb. The Steelers finally....eventually figured out that a novelty/gimmick qb wasn't the answer to a championship or even consistently winning games. Apparently, Atlanta is content with it's merchandising and attendance(?) over anything substantial.

I guess anything's possible but to me, Vick is what he is. A qb that likes to run, doesn't throw the ball very consistantly and will likely keep getting hurt. Defenses have to approach a game vs. Vick differently than other teams but it seems to me that there is an established gameplan against Vick at this point.

Vick has made it very clear how much his personal achievements mean and even focused on them after he broke the rushing(!!!) record for qb's...and Atlanta lost(again). I've never like Atlanta and the only reason I pulled for them just a little bit was because of Mora. I think he's a pretty good coach and I like his demeanor/personality as a coach. Now that he's gone, I hope Atlanta keeps Vick and their circus act. It makes them that much easier to beat.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Revelstoke View Post
    With the coaching change now in Atl imagine the possibility of the falcons relseasing Vick?

Could it happen? They have, from all accounts, a great young guy in Schaub, do they move on?

It's not a long shot - it's a no shot. Vick was just signed to a HUGE contract extension in December 2004 worth over $100 million with $37 million in bonuses. The Falcons would be heavily crippled from the accelerated cap hit if they did anything with Vick.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

i live in atlanta and i will tell you there is no shot of them releasing vick. he is the ENTIRE marketing of the team. blank has bet the franchise on vick, and while its a losing bet, he isnt going to cut him and i would make that statement even without the HUGE cap implications of doing so.

Meanwhile, they have no chance at keeping schaub long term. the guy wants a chance to be a starter and that wont happen in atlanta. i didnt realize until recently he was a RFA, i thought he was an UFA. Personally, i think that they should trade schaub now because it they wait until he is an UFA, which should be one more year, they will get nothing for him and i do believe he is ready to be a top flight qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

They've been trying to trade Schaub for a while now, but they seem to have the asking price a bit too high. Supposedly they wouldn't budge from a first round pick last year, even when Minnesota offered them their second round pick. The Vikings instead used that pick to draft their QB of the future in Tarvaris Jackson. Apparently the Falcons are once again looking for first round compensation. Until they get more realistic with their demands, Schaub isn't going anywhere either.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    They've been trying to trade Schaub for a while now, but they seem to have the asking price a bit too high. Supposedly they wouldn't budge from a first round pick last year, even when Minnesota offered them their second round pick. The Vikings instead used that pick to draft their QB of the future in Tarvaris Jackson. Apparently the Falcons are once again looking for first round compensation. Until they get more realistic with their demands, Schaub isn't going anywhere either.
    Nick, do you think the vikings got there QB of the future in Tarvaris Jackson, i know it's early and he didn't play alot but i didn't see anything that makes me think this guy has star written on him,but again he hasn't played much either.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I don't see Vick leaving the Falcons. He needs to be coerced into playing a different position in my opinion. Resign Schaub and use Vick like the Saints use Reggie Bush.
    No way Vick's body can hold up being used like Bush. He's already so injury prone, if he had to be a RB/WR he'd spend more time sitting out with injury then playing and his career would be over before long.

On another note, Chris Mortenson this morning on ESPN said that the Falcons QB decision will be ENTIRELY up to the new coach. If the new coach isn't convinced that Vick can be the starter, then they will keep Schaub and that coach will have the ability to start him instead of Vick from the beginning of the season.

Nick, why do you think schaub isnt worth a #1 pick? I read in atlanta that they wanted a 1 AND a 2 or maybe a 3 for him and i agree thats too much, but tell me why you think that brady quinn is a better bet than schaub, let alone a lower first round pick around 20 or so. Do you believe that jason campbell or jp loseman for example are better bets than schaub?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    Nick, do you think the vikings got there QB of the future in Tarvaris Jackson, i know it's early and he didn't play alot but i didn't see anything that makes me think this guy has star written on him,but again he hasn't played much either.
    I'll put it this way - Jackson really came out of no where to appear on the QB rankings of many scouts. I was surprised Minnesota took him when they did, but he has the potential to be a quality player. That being said, they played him too early. I don't care how poorly Brad Johnson was stinking it up; Jackson is a DI-AA guy who really needed to spend more time getting used to the speed of the pro game. Regardless, he definitely won't succeed unless they get more talent around him, specifically at WR.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Nick, why do you think schaub isnt worth a #1 pick? I read in atlanta that they wanted a 1 AND a 2 or maybe a 3 for him and i agree thats too much, but tell me why you think that brady quinn is a better bet than schaub, let alone a lower first round pick around 20 or so. Do you believe that jason campbell or jp loseman for example are better bets than schaub?
    I just don't see what he's done to warrant mid first round compensation. He was a late third round pick in 2004, and since being drafted, hasn't really done much to drastically improve his stock IMO. He played well against a New England team that likely spent the week focusing on how to shut Vick down, and he's played in some season finales in garbage time when the opposition had benched their starters.

I like Schaub as a player, but he doesn't have the best arm and needs to work on his decision making. If the Falcons can find a team willing to trade a mid to high first round pick for him, then good for them. Personally I think the Lions would be a great trading partner because Martz loved Schaub as a prospect and would be likely to spend more on him. But I just think the Falcons would be wise to come down from their demands before it's too late and Schaub walks as a free agent.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-07-2007 at 09:40 PM.

We are in agreement about them coming down on their demands. However, my point is this. Mid first round qb picks are crapshoots anyway. Look at campbell and loseman. I dont see what they have done that should give anyone any faith in their decision making. I would rather take a guy with three years experience who has plenty of pedigree that a total crapshoot on a guy that you dont even know whether he can adjust to being a professional qb. To the extent that there is insufficient data on schaub, i dont see how we can conclude that there is anything wrong with his decision making that a little game time wont impact. He may not have the strongest arm, but he certainly is known to have a very accurate one. His draft selection strikes me as reasonably irrelevant at this point.

I also agree that detroit is a great spot for him..

I will probably post on a separate thread, but i have a similar view on david carr, who i really like as well. His offensive line has been terrible, i think he is an excellent guy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast